Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Modern philosophy: Oxymoron?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Is it just me, or does modern philosophy not deserve the name? It seems to be simply making up excuses for one's prior beliefs rather than a search for truth now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I think Oxymoron is to generous.

There are many souls stretched out on psychoanalytic couches today who would be far better off if they brought their consciences to a confessional box.

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, Ph.D., D.D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:09 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Religion: Catholic
It depends upon what you consider to be "modern". Don't fall into the fallacy of dismissing everything post-scholastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:55 am 

And don't confuse modern with contemporary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
It depends upon what you consider to be "modern". Don't fall into the fallacy of dismissing everything post-scholastic.

Microprocessor age philosophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:16 pm 

William Barrett has an excellent account of the development of modern philosophy in Death of the Soul: From Descartes to the Computer. Also good is The Death and Life of Philosophy by Robert Greene (St. Augustine's Press, with a nice blurb from Catholic philosopher Ralph McInerny). McInerny has a good short little book A Student's Guide to Philosophy where he gives a brief history and concludes with why he is a Thomist. And, of course, Etienne Gilson's The Unity of Philosophical Experience.

Some of the books I recommend for my students when they are troubled by the developments of modern philosophy.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

BobCatholic wrote:
And don't confuse modern with contemporary.

whats the difference? (I am not disagreeing; just asking)

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject: A couple of things
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:29 pm 

One the term "philosophy" covers a great deal of territory metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, etc. so saying philosophy is such and such is too general a statement. Second I think the ultimate problems are ones of epistemology and ethics/moral theology. Much of our culture (for want of a better term) doesn't believe in or accept ultimate truths or a standard of right or wrong that they find inconveinent. So if there is no ultimate truth or right or wrong, how can you have "philosophy" which means love of wisdom?

Post subject: Re: A couple of things
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
tom jeffords wrote:
Second I think the ultimate problems are ones of epistemology and ethics/moral theology.

In this, you are a thorough modern (for better or for worse). Until about the time of Descartes, metaphysics was primary. The advent of "scientific thought" lead to attempts to put all knowledge on the same sort of certainty as experimental science, which brough epistemology to the fore. I'm antiquarian, so I don't think epistemology is the ultimate problem--it's only a tool.

Need something to read?

Post subject: Re: A couple of things
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:04 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
tom jeffords wrote:
Second I think the ultimate problems are ones of epistemology and ethics/moral theology.

In this, you are a thorough modern (for better or for worse). Until about the time of Descartes, metaphysics was primary. The advent of "scientific thought" lead to attempts to put all knowledge on the same sort of certainty as experimental science, which brough epistemology to the fore. I'm antiquarian, so I don't think epistemology is the ultimate problem--it's only a tool.

I'm not pulling a Socratic Method on you when I ask this... I truly want to know... Is what you say here true?

My understanding is that all knowledge looked to metaphysics and theology for its foundation, but when that was destroyed by the reformation, then scientific thought became the foundation... I'm not convinced that the problem was that there was a shift to bring all knowledge together because it wasn't before, but because it WAS before, and that unity was destroyed by the reformation... Am I off base?

FJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:46 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I think so. In The Spirit and Forms of Protestantism, Louis Bouyer argues fairly convincingly that the protestant rebellion was a result of nominalist philosophy.

Need something to read?