Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: byzantine rite question
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:36 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
the Legion of Mary July 1st friday/1st saturday all-nite vigil will be held here

http://www.stjohnchrysostom.com/

my question is... how will a "daily Mass" at a byzantine rite church be different from the Divine Liturgy which is celebrated there each Sunday Mass... what can i look forward to?

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:44 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Other than having some different propers, there isn't much difference. I'm not sure if they say the Creed on a weekday Divine Liturgy or not.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
bonaventure wrote:
Other than having some different propers, there isn't much difference. I'm not sure if they say the Creed on a weekday Divine Liturgy or not.

I am not sure they normally have daily Divine Liturgies. I know they have many feasts of the presanctfied as well...

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:50 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

The ByzCath Church near me does have daily Divine Liturgies. But I believe that it does vary from place to place.

They have missals at the one I attend fs. In them there are little sections that say "propers for DL during the week". I can't remember if I have ever been there on a weekday or not.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:52 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
well, since i can't seem to get myself there for a sunday Mass, this seems like the next best thing... might be what i need to motivate me to go on a sunday :wink:

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:55 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

It really is beautiful. I try to go every week or every other week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:46 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

A Byzantine Church(Ruthenian) near me does have daily Divine liturgies. They may have a hard bound Missal you may take a look at.

There is no low Mass or Divine Liturgy in the Byzantine Church. All Divine Liturgies are sung even if it is on a weekday with one priest.

Other Byzantine Churches(Russian, Romanian) or Melkite Greek Churches may have different disciplines.

We wyll haue the Sacrament hang ouer the hyeghe aulter, and there to be worshypped as it was wount to be, and they whiche will not thereto consent, We wyl haue them dye lyke heretykes against the Holy Catholyque fayth."
-Commoners of Devonshire
All the opinions are of my own and do not reflect any group.

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:34 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
the Legion of Mary July 1st friday/1st saturday all-nite vigil will be held here

To start off, while First Friday and First Saturday devotions are wonderful, they don't belong in a Byzantine Rite church even though 'we're all Catholics' and rite is arguably a man-made construct. The church agrees forcefully on paper as Vatican documents have said many times: thou shalt not mix and match rites. That's meant to protect the Eastern traditions from getting squashed by the Roman Rite (IOW Byzantine Catholic practice is supposed to be exactly like Eastern Orthodox practice) ...

... but in practice over the centuries the Eastern Catholics themselves disobeyed that and copied Roman Rite practices, and this includes daily Mass.

In the authentic tradition of the Byzantine Rite you'd only find a daily Liturgy in monasteries, not parish churches.

What Archlayman said is also true of the authentic tradition but in practice a lot of these churches created their version of Low Mass. You probably don't see that much anymore as Rome is telling these churches to be more Eastern, but the retention of daily Liturgy shows that the problem of self-'latinization' remains.

As for the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts (essentially Vespers with Communion from the Reserved Sacrament), that's done during the weekdays of Lent (called Great Lent in this rite), typically once or twice a week. Interestingly, unlike the Roman Rite which does a version of this once a year*, Good Friday (Great Friday) isn't one of those days when it's done.

The Nicene Creed (Symbol of Faith) is never dropped from the Divine Liturgy.

Ruthenian churches are usually very latinized.

*The one time in the Roman Rite when you hear the Byzantine Rite's trisagion prayer: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy upon us. In the traditional version of the rite it's even done once in Greek! (Like the Kyrie at Mass.) You might know it from the Divine Mercy devotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:46 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Serge, I have seen Saint Theophan the recluse and Saint John Of Kronstadt recommend receiving Holy Communion during the week. Are their opinions in this matter not well received in the east?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:57 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I imagine not as even weekly Communion isn't a part of Orthodox popular piety. A lot of ethnics only receive a few times a year, a lot like the mediæval West.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:58 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

The young fogey wrote:
I imagine not as even weekly Communion isn't a part of Orthodox popular piety. A lot of ethnics only receive a few times a year, a lot like the mediæval West.

Thanks. Saint Theophan may have been talking about his monks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:59 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Exactly. He was a monk! Even so the norm among 19th-century Russian nuns for example was to receive maybe every other week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:53 pm 
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.

Religion: The C Word
That sounds wonderful FS! I've planning on going there one of these days - though will not be able to on the 1st. Let us know how it goes! (I'm curious about the church itself as well)

I've been to Greek Orthodox Divine Litergy services, and if the Byzantine services are similar, you can look forward to lots of incense ! It's lovely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:12 pm 

The young fogey wrote:

A lot of the older Greeks in my parish only take the Eucharist at Christmas and Paschal Vigil; second, third, and later generations more often. A friend of mine won't take Communion if she's eaten meat the night before (supposed to abstain) and we both try (being the key word for me.... :oops: ) and fast Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year.

"A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love."

St. Basil the Great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Bonaventure wrote:
Serge, I have seen Saint Theophan the recluse and Saint John Of Kronstadt recommend receiving Holy Communion during the week. Are their opinions in this matter not well received in the east?

Somewhere they are well received, whereas somewhere they are not well received. That depends very much on where you live and who are the Bishops. Anyway, receiving Holy Communion at least once a week is a real Orthodox tradition. Some local churches don't follow it.

Well, what I've seen in Orthodox churches here in Finland... Finns receive Holy Communion usually once a week, Russians something between once a week - once a year, I don't know exactly. Romanians are quite active and they have even services in Romanian, though they're a real minority here. Greeks... I assume they don't receive Holy Communion more than few times a year. (Disclaimer: these are only my experiences)

For our Board Babies in need of prayer.

Ai wont tu bii OossiMam when Ai grou ap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:50 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Maybe you could ask Byzantine Bomber???

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!