Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]   
 Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:27 pm 

Hello!

My name is Desiree, and I am a 26-year-old mom and wife in Colorado. I have Ethan (3) and Mary (1). I work very part time in a local retail store, and the rest of the time I am trying to build an at-home business. My DH works outside the home.

I was raised Catholic. I was baptized and received First Communion, but that was it. My parents sort of gave up at some point on going to church with six children, so I followed suit and stopped going too. Then we moved to a new town about an hour away, and we tried a new church... but it wasn't a right fit for my mom. She said the people were too snobby for her (she was probably right, but never did really give the church a chance).

Since then, I was drawn to come back and check things out. ::): I have gone to Mass a few times and even had my son baptized at our "old" church. I'm trying to figure out the whole godparent thing now for my daughter, as she still isn't baptized (I know - slap my hand all you want), but I don't really have a good litter of people to pick from.

I don't go to Mass as often as I would like, so I am looking to change that. I don't know a whole lot about the faith (I can recite most things at Mass though), so I am slowly learning... but I'll tell ya - I am still so confused!!! :? I am doing a home study on the faith, and that has been so helpful... but I'm looking forward to learning more. Hopefully I can find some layman's (sp?) terms here so that I don't feel too stupid. 8-)

Anyway, sorry to bore everyone! Ta ta for now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:39 pm 

Hello Desiree!
I'm brand new on this board too. I also was raised Catholic, but slipped away from the faith in my college years. In the last 10 years or so, I've found my way back home to the Catholic church. And today, I have a new love and appreciation for the Church. I thank God for bringing me full circle, to where I am today. I think I can learn a lot from the people on this board. A warm welcome to you from another newbie!
Truthseeker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:06 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Well, God Bless You! and this is a great board to learn first hand or refresh the Faith!
Best and we'll be hearing from You!
ps, they've got lots of answers for You here and they love to share.....
motsfo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:32 am 
Vegemite Queen Moderator
Vegemite Queen Moderator

welcome desiree,

I hope you enjoy your time here with us. I just saw your family photo's. Your children are cute.

God bless
Therese

formerly Aussiemum07

My Blog: Aussie Coffee Shop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:47 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Hi Desiree, welcome.

Faith then cometh by hearing; and hearing by the word of Christ. Romans 10:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:38 am 

Thank you, Therese!

And thanks for the welcome, everyone. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Welcome to the board.

http://www.latinmass.org

Pray for the Latin Rite liturgy!

Prayers for baby Luukas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:42 am 

Another newbie joins in to say hello.
We are all on a journey through life,and are at different points.
Those who are ahead of us will help us to catch up.
Feel free to talk and be open to the people here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:47 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hi Desiree! Welcome to the board. It's a great place to learn more about the faith, especially the Catholicism 101 forum. Ask any questions you have about the faith.

If I read you correctly, you have not been confirmed. It would probably be a good idea to talk to your priest and see what you need to do to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:02 am 

Hi Desiree!

I'm new here too. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Deborah

I'm a female! A non-denominational Christian with 73 books in my Bible, with a Love for Jesus Christ that knows no bounds! Yet, sometimes because of my Love for Him, my desire to Serve Him, my foot ends up right in my mouth - no disrespect ever intended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:29 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome desiree... you won't find a better , more friendly board for inquiring and finding out more about our faith...

definitely talk to your priest and find out about the confirmation thing...and yes get that child baptized!

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:38 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
desiree...you go girl... getting your beautiful family pictures out there first thing... and colorado... how we long to go back to the mountains again ... our favorite vacation spot 8-)

thanks again for joining our board...may you be blessed in abundance by your participation here

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:51 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yes that little one needs to be in God's family....
and i believe You can pick a God Parent in abstentia...(sp) and use a standin for the Baptism... unless they have changed things.... that's what we did.....
Best! motsfo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:00 pm 

Hi Desiree, and welcome! Pay very good attention to being drawn back to your faith! The Holy Spirit is moving you for those beautiful children of yours. I had a very similar thing happen to me, and I'm so thankful I followed through.

Looking forward to your posts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:06 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Roman Catholic
Hi Desiree and welcome! I think you have found the right board!

God bless,
Lolly :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:06 pm 

Thanks very much for the welcome!

As far as the baptism, I need to actually NAME someone and that's where I'm having the trouble. So I'm confused whether a "stand-in" would be acceptable at this point. :?:

As far as Confirmation, I would need to go through the RCIA program with the parish, but they do it one night every week from Sept to Easter (I think??)... and at this time, my DH works nights and I don't have a sitter for the kids. We work opposite shifts so that we don't need to have a sitter/day care. I don't know what I can do other than that -- I am open for suggestions! It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't know HOW to when my schedule is in the way.

Ava, I feel very strong about going back to the Church and feel that it is (mainly) because of my kids. I also want to change my life. I have done plenty of things that I wish I hadn't done, and I want to turn my life around. :wink: It really hit "home" when JPII died -- I stayed up all night to watch the funeral and was so touched by it all -- it really sealed the deal for me that what I am doing is right by coming back to the Church. Hope that makes sense.

My son knows a prayer that we say every night before bed, and he has a little prayer book that he "reads" (as much as a three-year-old can!) pretty often. It's definitely a start, and I look forward to learning more myself so I can pass it on to the kids (and my DH!).

Thanks, all! :cloud9:

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:45 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
desiree wrote:
Hello!

My name is Desiree, and I am a 26-year-old mom and wife in Colorado. I have Ethan (3) and Mary (1). I work very part time in a local retail store, and the rest of the time I am trying to build an at-home business. My DH works outside the home.

I was raised Catholic. I was baptized and received First Communion, but that was it. My parents sort of gave up at some point on going to church with six children, so I followed suit and stopped going too. Then we moved to a new town about an hour away, and we tried a new church... but it wasn't a right fit for my mom. She said the people were too snobby for her (she was probably right, but never did really give the church a chance).

Since then, I was drawn to come back and check things out. ::): I have gone to Mass a few times and even had my son baptized at our "old" church. I'm trying to figure out the whole godparent thing now for my daughter, as she still isn't baptized (I know - slap my hand all you want), but I don't really have a good litter of people to pick from.

I don't go to Mass as often as I would like, so I am looking to change that. I don't know a whole lot about the faith (I can recite most things at Mass though), so I am slowly learning... but I'll tell ya - I am still so confused!!! :? I am doing a home study on the faith, and that has been so helpful... but I'm looking forward to learning more. Hopefully I can find some layman's (sp?) terms here so that I don't feel too stupid. 8-)

Anyway, sorry to bore everyone! Ta ta for now. :)

I love your call handle here! I would love to have people who exhibit 90% desire and 10% ability as those with the desire will do what is needed to accomplish the goal! God bless you on this journey. I would start with making the Mass the center of your life. Learn what you can about it. The history of the Popes you can see where the Mass has been handed down throughout the history of the Church! It comes from the Last Supper and is our opportunity to meet Christ each and every Mass!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]