Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello All
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:47 pm 

Hi, my name is Joe and I am new to this site.

I am currently exploring the possibility of converting to the Catholic church. I was raised a Baptist, but have not attended the Baptist church in several years. I am hoping that this site will help me explore the Catholic faith and help me come to a decision. No matter what I hope to learn and make some new friends.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:52 pm 
Welcome Joe!!

Hope we can be of service!! :wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:58 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
Welcome Joe, feel free to ask questions.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Welcome to the board.

http://www.latinmass.org

Pray for the Latin Rite liturgy!

Prayers for baby Luukas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:11 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome, explore away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:29 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:50 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hi, Joe! Welcome to the board! May God bless you as you explore the Catholic faith.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:52 pm 
Suspended at request of user
Suspended at request of user

Welcome!

"...solemnity flows out of men naturally; but laughter is a leap. It is easy to be heavy: hard to be light. Satan fell by the force of gravity."

-- G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:27 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Welcome to the board! Ex-Baptist here.

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome, if you have questions about the Catholic faith the Catholicism 101 board is a good source of information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:24 pm 

Thanks for the info mary :) Im not even sure what to ask first. My wife and son are both Catholic and I have been attending Mass with them on a regular basis for the past couple of months. My son just had his First Holy Communion a few weeks ago.

This is something I have been considering for a long time. I guess that you could say that I rebeled against the Baptist church along time ago, when I was a teen ager. Im 36 now and want a closer relationship with God. I guess with age comes wisdom.

But I want to make sure that this is the right step for me. It is my hope that old dogs can learn new tricks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:39 pm 
CowboyCrue wrote:
But I want to make sure that this is the right step for me. It is my hope that old dogs can learn new tricks. :)

Yep, by the power of the Holy Spirit all is made new!!

I converted to the Catholic Church when I was 28. I come from a vague Presbyterian background. I married a fallen-away Catholic. The Holy Spirit got me on Christmas Eve 1991. My conversion caused the reversion of my wife.

I have been praying and studying the teaching of the Holy Roman Catholic Church for 13 years now. I have never been more in love with the Church as I am today. She bears the Truth because she bears the Truth Himself. She is stained, has some wrinkles, and some skeletons in the closet. But anyone who has flourished for 2000 years bearing her children to heaven would have a couple of those.

Let her speak to your heart of Christ - His love for you - of His desire to nourish you with His Body (Jn 6). Come home, Joe. Come into the arms of your Mother. There you will experience the greatest day on earth when you can share the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Eucharist with your wife and son and become one in Christ.

Come home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:44 pm 

Thanks Mike. You know I was just telling my wife today that I really enjoy the Catholic Mass. I feel very much at peace with my self and the world around me after Mass. When I attended Baptist services (years ago) it always felt like a chore. I never fully felt fulfilled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:18 pm 
Vegemite Queen Moderator
Vegemite Queen Moderator

Welcome Joe. I look forward to reading more of your posts. It is great that you are considering joining the Catholic church. I will pray for you and your family.

God bless
Therese

formerly Aussiemum07

My Blog: Aussie Coffee Shop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:29 pm 

Thank You Aussie Mom :) And God Bless you as well. I am looking forward to talking to so many people in the Catholic faith on this message board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:56 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
CowboyCrue wrote:
Thanks for the info mary :) Im not even sure what to ask first. My wife and son are both Catholic and I have been attending Mass with them on a regular basis for the past couple of months. My son just had his First Holy Communion a few weeks ago.

This is something I have been considering for a long time. I guess that you could say that I rebeled against the Baptist church along time ago, when I was a teen ager. Im 36 now and want a closer relationship with God. I guess with age comes wisdom.

if this old dog can come to the realization (with help from our Lady) that i needed a closer relationship with Her Son, and that the best way to achieve that is to be in communion with the Church that He established and gave all authority to, then there's certainly hope for a young whippersnapper as yourself... :wink:

welcome to the board joe... i posted in your baptist to Catholic thread, not knowing you had an introduction thread going... i would recommend reading the threads in the Cat 101 forum...and any that are of interest to you in the pub, and then go back and ask whatever questions you might have in the Cat 101 forum... you will find many willing and helpful people here...

in the meantime, get yourself a copy of our hosts book Crossing the Tiber... it relates his conversion process and then in great detail goes into what the Catholic view of the sacraments of Eucharist and Baptism mean... an excellent read :thumbsup: :yes:

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:58 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

ShoelessMike wrote:
CowboyCrue wrote:

Yep, by the power of the Holy Spirit all is made new!!

I converted to the Catholic Church when I was 28. I come from a vague Presbyterian background. I married a fallen-away Catholic. The Holy Spirit got me on Christmas Eve 1991. My conversion caused the reversion of my wife.

I have been praying and studying the teaching of the Holy Roman Catholic Church for 13 years now. I have never been more in love with the Church as I am today. She bears the Truth because she bears the Truth Himself. She is stained, has some wrinkles, and some skeletons in the closet. But anyone who has flourished for 2000 years bearing her children to heaven would have a couple of those.

Let her speak to your heart of Christ - His love for you - of His desire to nourish you with His Body (Jn 6). Come home, Joe. Come into the arms of your Mother. There you will experience the greatest day on earth when you can share the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Eucharist with your wife and son and become one in Christ.

Come home...

YEAH!!! what he said... beautiful post sm... good job!!

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:11 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

cc, i noticed on your profile you are a sports card collector... any chance you'd be interested in taking my baseball card collection off my hands? it's semi-extensive and i'm looking to move the whole collection.... the bulk of it is complete sets from the 80's... with various "premium" cards from all over the spectrum... started the collection as a kid...so have many cards from the 60's also... just wondering :wink:

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:54 pm 

welcome to both the board and (soon hopefully) to our church, can be wonderful parts of life God has given us to accomany us on our journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:59 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Roman Catholic
Welcome Joe, You will find much help here. Nice to meet you!

God bless,
Lolly :)