Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Was Christ ever tempted by a woman?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:53 pm 
Was Christ ever tempted by a woman?

I am a theology student and was asked this question. I am not quite sure how to answer it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:21 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Not that we were aware of.....technically it's possible He was.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:24 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I remember hearing about how according to passed down story that Jesus denied a marriage that someone asked of Him at 15 years old. As for did a woman tempt Him like sexually or something, I don't think so. I mean Jesus has no need to be tempted by sex because He doesn't care about it, but did women try to tempt Him, I'm sure thats possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:25 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Very Doubtful. Christ did not have a Fallen Nature, so His view of woman was pure and untainted by Lust as Adam was before the Fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Brendan wrote:
Very Doubtful. Christ did not have a Fallen Nature, so His view of woman was pure and untainted by Lust as Adam was before the Fall.

I agree with that, but I think that women probably tried to seduce Him, but He didn't even need to resist because there was no temptation for Him, He didn't care about lust like you said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:28 pm 
Brendan- That is what I was thinking. Then others reply back that he was tempted by the Devil....in his humanness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:29 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

But Satan has no ability to enter into His Interior since He is God so it would be so small on Satan's part to even try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:29 pm 

The Bible said He was tempted by the devil....so we know it's possible, we just don't know that He was (tempted by a woman that is).

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knights of Columbus
Depends on how you define "tempted." Did a woman "come on" to Jesus? Possible. Did Jesus feel the temptation? I'd say no.

Post subject: Great answers
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:46 pm 
Wow, I am impressed with the quick replies. I know that people could have tempted him, but I was wondering to which extent he would have felt the temptation....would it have bothered him at all? I am sure that it must have hurt him to see that....maybe? But not TEMPTED, per se? Just curious. Thanks!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hmm . . . it kind of seems dangerous to me to say that Jesus could not have been tempted by a woman. That would seem to border on denying his full humanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:08 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

tiamat wrote:
Hmm . . . it kind of seems dangerous to me to say that Jesus could not have been tempted by a woman. That would seem to border on denying his full humanity.

No because temptation of Lust from a woman comes from a fallen human nature, yes Jesus was fully human, but perfect and not fallen as well as fully Divine. Remember Adam and Eve were naked and didn't even know because they were perfect, Jesus is a perfect human and God so He wouldn't be sexually tempted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

But again, then, how was it he was tempted by the Devil, if temptation is only the consequence of a fallen nature? What would the difference be? (Not combative, seriously asking)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:18 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

tiamat wrote:
But again, then, how was it he was tempted by the Devil, if temptation is only the consequence of a fallen nature? What would the difference be? (Not combative, seriously asking)

Temptation is not a consequence of the Devil because Adam and Eve were perfect and tempted, Jesus and Mary were perfect and tempted, God the Father was tempted by the Devil through Jesus and the Holy Spirit was tempted. The temptations of a perfect person are external temptations to try and make you divert your understanding. Fallen nature is tempted interiorly because even though they know something is wrong they pridefully want it inside so they allow temptation. Jesus allowed Himself to be tempted to show His humility and to show how to overcome temptation. Everything the Devil did was to try and make Him stop His mission not something that a fallen human desires in order to make you sinful. Adam and Eve were tempted to fall from grace by avoiding the mission of completely following God, they didn't experience gratifying temptations like a fallen human who wants sex or power does. Jesus was tempted so He would avoid His mission and move away from saving humans, Jesus was not tempted by Satan through an interior motivated fallen human nature who wanted gratification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knights of Columbus
I can tempt you all I want. It's whether you respond to that temptation that matters. The devil tempted Jesus, but he did not give in to the temptation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:29 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I'll try to give an examply of Perfect Temptation as opposed to Imperfect Temptation. If I'm perfect then I can't be tempted by a Self-Want because there is nothing there since I'm completely handed to Divine Providence. If I'm imperfect then I can be tempted by a desire because there is a tendency to sin inside me which is being tempted interiorly. Perfect people don't have something inside to attach a temptation onto so they can only be tempted exteriorly by things that seem amazing. Adam and Eve were tempted because Satan was telling them that by eating from the Tree of Knowledge you can become like God or gods. They didn't realize this was something bad and they were too innocent to see the deception of Satan, but since they disobeyed God then they became sinful. Jesus has nothing in Him impure so Satan can't attack that desire like he could to you or me. Satan will show Jesus other things like Royalty, why because Jesus is Royal and Satan was saying, "You deserve Your Royalty" to try and make Him forget His mission. Satan later was tempted Jesus that salvation is too great a cost, You're God so let them go, you don't need to forgive them. Satan is tempted Jesus through exterior motives not an interior gratifying desire like a fallen human has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:20 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
ErikB wrote:
Depends on how you define "tempted." Did a woman "come on" to Jesus? Possible. Did Jesus feel the temptation? I'd say no.

Give that man the prize!

How can you tempt a divine Person?

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:23 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

pax wrote:
ErikB wrote:

Give that man the prize!

How can you tempt a divine Person?

Well you literally can't. I mean Tempt a Divine Person is self-contradictory. Thats like saying I can punch someone by yelling at them. It doesn't make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:48 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Hebrews says that Jesus "was like us in all things but sin." To be like us in all things implies that in his human nature he must have been tempted in all the ordinary ways, without ever yielding to the temptation. Being "temptable" is not entirely a result of the fall from grace, because Eve and Adam were tempted to sin in the garden before they gave into the temptation.

Post subject: Re: Was Christ ever tempted by a woman?
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:54 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
franciscangirl wrote:
Was Christ ever tempted by a woman?

I am a theology student and was asked this question. I am not quite sure how to answer it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I believe so, He can identify with us because He experienced the human element. He did not act upon it and should be the modal for us to follow!
The temptation may have been at a different level as He is a divine person, but we know Satan tried to tempt Him in the desert. Power and wealth are two other areas that we are tempted.

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next