Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: An oldie but a goodie...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knights of Columbus
God created Adam, then Eve. They had two children, Cain and Abel - right?

Did God create women for Cain and Abel, as well? I know that the OT, especially for the purposes of tracing bloodlines, is very male-centric, so I assume that there were women born (it says in the geneology leading to Noah that while the father lived 700+ years, other sons and daughters were born). But, in the beginning, do we assume that Adam and Eve had daughters in addition to Cain and Abel that were not mentioned, that would father their children?

Also, it says that Enoch went to live in the city Enoch, which his father had named after him. A city would imply people, would it not? Where are all these other people coming from!?! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:06 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

And I just realized that I put this in the wrong forum. Please move?

Post subject: Re: An oldie but a goodie...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:45 pm 
Deceased

ErikB wrote:
God created Adam, then Eve. They had two children, Cain and Abel - right?

Did God create women for Cain and Abel, as well? I know that the OT, especially for the purposes of tracing bloodlines, is very male-centric, so I assume that there were women born (it says in the geneology leading to Noah that while the father lived 700+ years, other sons and daughters were born). But, in the beginning, do we assume that Adam and Eve had daughters in addition to Cain and Abel that were not mentioned, that would father their children?

Also, it says that Enoch went to live in the city Enoch, which his father had named after him. A city would imply people, would it not? Where are all these other people coming from!?! :)

On the question of daughters from Adam (and presumably Eve), there might be some literary evidence in the book of Genesis narrative.

After the death of Abel (and some of the doings of the remaining son Cain) the text in Genesis 4:25 reports: "And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said ...". So Seth was another named descendant of Adam and Eve, in addition to Cain and the murdered Abel..

And a few verses later, in a table of generations, we read "<Gen 5:3>When Adam had lived a hundred and thirty years, he became the father of a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. <:4> The days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, AND HE HAD OTHER SONS AND DAUGHTERS."

Now the assumption of earlier daughters of Adam and Eve (for example for Cain's wife mentioned in Gen 4:17) is certainly possible from the biblical text, but the summary passage quoted above textually affirms the existence of other sons and daughters of Adam (assumedly with his wife Eve who is not mentioned there.)

Edward Pothier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:18 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

So what is considered wrong now (incest) was acceptable in the beginning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:36 pm 

I also wondered, if God marked Cain so everyone would know what he did... if it was just his family on earth, wouldn't they already know what happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:31 pm 
I always thought that Adam and Eve were the first created and then God kept creating more. We don't get to hear about the rest.