Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:15 am 
Highness
Highness

Spootz wrote:
Della wrote:
What I probably should have added is that private interpretation of the Bible for formulating doctrine is not Catholic nor biblical.

What I meant by personal interpretation of the Bible I wasn't saying one should formulate new doctrines. But, for my own personal use to read the Bible trying to apply Scripture to my life...like love thy neighbor, etc..

That's fine. Many of us are worried, though by your "either/or" way of reading the Bible which seems to be influenced by a Protestant view of Scripture rather than a Catholic one. I think reading about the 4 senses in which Scripture may be interpreted might help you realize that Catholicism isn't an "either it's this or it's that" kind of faith except in very limited instances with regard to doctrine or dogma.

Della--with many stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Spootz wrote:
I didn't read Iraneous and I stopped reading Catholic saints reading...takes too much away my time to read the Bible.

You're the one who cited Irenaeus in the first place.

Spootz, you said in the first post of this thread that you opened this thread to ask about Mary's free will at the Annunciation. Since then, it's clear that you also reject the teaching authority of the Church, and you've haphazardly included a number of tired criticisms of Catholicism: the pope's kissing the koran, the saints' being illegitimate, the Bible's not being allowed by the Church for reading.

We're well-versed in discussing whatever issues you want to discuss, but trite coments like, "My pastor didn't kiss the koran" or "The saints take too much time away from the bible"--these aren't substantive at all. I mean, typing on this forum takes time away from the bible. So will you simply show, from sacred scripture and, if you desire, the traditions of Christianity, how you defend your views that the Bible alone is your authority (with your pastor's "help"), that the pope is an infidel, and any other conceptions you've formed about Catholicism since rejecting it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:13 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
hmmm, no wonder spootz' participation in the "worship Mary" thread ceased...and i thought it was because there was no more possible refutation...shoulda known better... like i mentioned in the introduction thread... bad catechesis is never a good reason to leave the Church...but is the excuse used all the time

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:00 pm 

caleb wrote:
Spootz wrote:
I didn't read Iraneous and I stopped reading Catholic saints reading...takes too much away my time to read the Bible.

You're the one who cited Irenaeus in the first place
Spootz, you said in the first post of this thread that you opened this thread to ask about Mary's free will at the Annunciation.
Yes, and GoodSamaritan answered it for me and he/she posted St. Irenaeus comment. I just made reference to it to ask a question. Go back and read it. Do we need to nit pick :roll:
caleb wrote:
and you've haphazardly included a number of tired criticisms of Catholicism: the pope's kissing the koran, the saints' being illegitimate, the Bible's not being allowed by the Church for reading.
First of all I never said the saint's being illegitimate, nor the Bible not being allowed by the Church for reading and I wish you people would stop making assumptions!
Where did I ever say the saints' being illegitimate? Tired criticisms of the Pope, Caleb? I've seen the picture of PJPII kissing the Koran. JPII brought the criticism on himself by that gesture and I don't care what his intentions were. It still gives the impression that he thinks the Koran is Holy.
caleb wrote:
We're well-versed in discussing whatever issues you want to discuss
Some are better at it than others and if one can't supply a respectful reply to my questions about the "Faith" than don't post at all.
caleb wrote:
So will you simply show, from sacred scripture and, if you desire, the traditions of Christianity, how you defend your views that the Bible alone is your authority (with your pastor's "help"), that the pope is an infidel, and any other conceptions you've formed about Catholicism since rejecting it?
Again, you are making assumptions that I believe in Bible alone as my sole authority. I never said it and I never brought it up as an issue. My ORIGINAL question has been answered sufficiently by Good Samaritan and now I know why he/she choose that name.
I don't know about you but I'm finished posting on this topic.

Christ's Peace be with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:43 am 

Spootz wrote:
Della wrote:
And what you don't seem to understand is that personal interpretation of the Bible is not in line with Catholic/biblical teaching.
I thought this teaching went out with Vatican II and Catholics are allowed to read the Bible? At least this is what I always thought. Besides if I don't understand what I'm reading I use Bible study guides or my Pastor.

If the Bible Study Guide doesn't contain the Apostolic Interpretation of Scripture, why bother with it? Just another man-made TRADITION being sold as if it were scripture. Hey, I though we Catholics are the ones who are supposed to put tradition on par with scripture :)

And we are allowed to read the Bible even BEFORE Vatican II. Want Proof? Show me a quotation from the Baltimore Catechism that says Bible reading is prohibited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:35 am 

Spootz, as a convert to Catholicism I pondered the very same question once.

First, I have to point out what the others said about Mary having free will; It's imperitive to understand that if she didn't have choice in this then clearly God didn't give her free will in the matter. Can you accept that? I couldn't.

"'Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her'". This was Mary's affirmation. And, if she hadn't been given choice then the entire passage regarding the angel's address would have been irrelevant. (and nothing in the Scriptures is irrelevant) Obviously the Lord knew her answer would be in the affirmative beforehand anyway, so I believe that this passage is to further emphasize her role in God's plan for salvation.

The Marian dogmas are deep and meaty and difficult to understand unless you can comprehend her role as our Mother. I hope you study this further and are as blessed by it as I was (am).

God bless,

Melia

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2