Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Rites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:19 am 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:41 am
Posts: 1811
Location: Archdiocese of Singapore
Is there a website somewhere where I can find a table or list of Rites of the Catholic Church (in communion with Rome), and Rites of the Orthodox Churches (not in communion with Rome) ?

I did a search and found this but it doesn't really specify which Rites aren't in communion with Rome. Everything but the Latin Rites are listed under the "Eastern Catholic Church" but that's not the same as the Orthodox Churches, isn't it?

_________________
Kenny

Novus Ordo [strike]Mundi[/strike].
New [strike]World[/strike] Order.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:58 am 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:20 pm
Posts: 681
Location: Virginia, USA
Here is a list of the Eastern Catholic Rites. Please be advised that the accompanying commentary is considered to be rather insulting by our Eastern Catholic brethren.

I don't know of any good list of Eastern Orthodox Churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:26 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 1689
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Religion: Catholic
This is a fantastic page showing churches in and out of communion with Rome:

http://www.tboyle.net/Catholicism/Cath_Links_Various_Churche.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:50 pm 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:41 am
Posts: 1811
Location: Archdiocese of Singapore
Thanks, guys. Very fascinating!

_________________
Kenny

Novus Ordo [strike]Mundi[/strike].
New [strike]World[/strike] Order.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:16 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 1:40 am
Posts: 2595
David Chiang wrote:
This is a fantastic page showing churches in and out of communion with Rome:

http://www.tboyle.net/Catholicism/Cath_Links_Various_Churche.html


I'm printing this out to share with a friend and for my own benefit. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:26 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:35 pm
Posts: 977
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knights of Columbus
What exactly is a "rite"?

_________________
Vivat Jesus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:14 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:19 pm
Posts: 697
Location: down south
David Chiang wrote:
This is a fantastic page showing churches in and out of communion with Rome:

http://www.tboyle.net/Catholicism/Cath_Links_Various_Churche.html


:shock:

I had no idea.

_________________
Domine Iesu Christ, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatorem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:32 pm 
ErikB wrote:
What exactly is a "rite"?


Here's a link from New Advent:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13064b.htm

Basically, a rite is the form of observance.

Edit: Can someone give me some code pointers, please?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:10 am 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:14 pm
Posts: 5884
Location: Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I keep a table on my website of Liturgical rites:

http://www.signumcrucis.net/rites.htm

-Ted

_________________
It is likewise impossible to decide in favor of Trent and Vatican I, but against Vatican II. Whoever denies Vatican II denies the authority that upholds the other two councils and thereby detaches them from their foundation. And this applies to the so-called ‘traditionalism’, also in its extreme forms. The Ratzinger Report - 1985


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:21 am 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:41 am
Posts: 1811
Location: Archdiocese of Singapore
Defensor Fidei wrote:
I keep a table on my website of Liturgical rites:

http://www.signumcrucis.net/rites.htm


It'd be really good if you can mark with some sort of a symbol which are in communion with Rome and which aren't, like those sites given above. Really useful!

_________________
Kenny

Novus Ordo [strike]Mundi[/strike].
New [strike]World[/strike] Order.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:08 am 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:14 pm
Posts: 5884
Location: Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Kenny wrote:
Defensor Fidei wrote:
I keep a table on my website of Liturgical rites:

http://www.signumcrucis.net/rites.htm


It'd be really good if you can mark with some sort of a symbol which are in communion with Rome and which aren't, like those sites given above. Really useful!


Those are just liturgies, which you can go to as a Catholic

-Ted

_________________
It is likewise impossible to decide in favor of Trent and Vatican I, but against Vatican II. Whoever denies Vatican II denies the authority that upholds the other two councils and thereby detaches them from their foundation. And this applies to the so-called ‘traditionalism’, also in its extreme forms. The Ratzinger Report - 1985


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:02 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:03 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Raleigh, NC
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
BConsidine wrote:
ErikB wrote:
What exactly is a "rite"?


Here's a link from New Advent:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13064b.htm

Basically, a rite is the form of observance.

Edit: Can someone give me some code pointers, please?


Rites is a pre-Vatican II term that seems to presume that it's just a matter of a different liturgy. We now use the term particular churches. There are 21 particular Churches in the Catholic Church. The largest is the Latin Catholic Church ("Latin Rite") which the Pope leads by virtue of his office as Patriarch of the West. The Eastern Catholic Churches are not subject to the Pope's patriarchal jurisdiction but are subject to his jurisdiction as supreme pontiff (such as a Latin Catholic of the diocese of Detroit is subject to Cardinal Adam as his bishop, not the Pope, while a Catholic in Rome is subject to the Pope as Pope and ALSO as his diocesan bishop). In other words, the Pope wears 3 basic hats:

1) Diocesan bishop of Rome
2) Patriarch of the Latin Catholic Church
3) Pope of the Universal Church

So Eastern Catholic Churches are self-governing churches, some with their own patriarchs, who are in communion with the Latin Church and accept papal universal jurisdiction.

Orthodox are also considered particular churches (c.f. Dominus Iesus) but they are seen as partially lacking because they lack communion with Rome and do not accept papal universal jurisdiction, while Eastern Catholic Churches do.

I probably made this sound more complicated than it is; here is a website by Eastern Catholics where you can learn more: www.byzcath.org

To sum up: Eastern Catholics are not just generic Catholics who have a special mass, but are members of churches that have their own distinct liturgical and cultural traditions. You can't belong to a Rite but you can belong to a particular Church. A particular Church celebrates a particular Rite (The Latin Church uses the Latin Rite, the Ruthenian Church uses the Byzantine Rite, etc).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:16 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:19 pm
Posts: 697
Location: down south
Anastasios wrote:
BConsidine wrote:
ErikB wrote:
What exactly is a "rite"?


Here's a link from New Advent:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13064b.htm

Basically, a rite is the form of observance.

Edit: Can someone give me some code pointers, please?


Rites is a pre-Vatican II term that seems to presume that it's just a matter of a different liturgy. We now use the term particular churches. There are 21 particular Churches in the Catholic Church. The largest is the Latin Catholic Church ("Latin Rite") which the Pope leads by virtue of his office as Patriarch of the West. The Eastern Catholic Churches are not subject to the Pope's patriarchal jurisdiction but are subject to his jurisdiction as supreme pontiff (such as a Latin Catholic of the diocese of Detroit is subject to Cardinal Adam as his bishop, not the Pope, while a Catholic in Rome is subject to the Pope as Pope and ALSO as his diocesan bishop). In other words, the Pope wears 3 basic hats:

1) Diocesan bishop of Rome
2) Patriarch of the Latin Catholic Church
3) Pope of the Universal Church

So Eastern Catholic Churches are self-governing churches, some with their own patriarchs, who are in communion with the Latin Church and accept papal universal jurisdiction.

Orthodox are also considered particular churches (c.f. Dominus Iesus) but they are seen as partially lacking because they lack communion with Rome and do not accept papal universal jurisdiction, while Eastern Catholic Churches do.

I probably made this sound more complicated than it is; here is a website by Eastern Catholics where you can learn more: www.byzcath.org

To sum up: Eastern Catholics are not just generic Catholics who have a special mass, but are members of churches that have their own distinct liturgical and cultural traditions. You can't belong to a Rite but you can belong to a particular Church. A particular Church celebrates a particular Rite (The Latin Church uses the Latin Rite, the Ruthenian Church uses the Byzantine Rite, etc).


Without a doubt an explanation of absolute lucidity.

_________________
Domine Iesu Christ, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatorem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:36 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:03 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Raleigh, NC
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Quote:
Without a doubt an explanation of absolute lucidity.


Thank you for your kind words. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:29 pm 
Offline
**********
**********

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:27 pm
Posts: 23303
http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/cath ... urches.htm

Catholic Rites and Churches.

_________________
--BobCatholic
I'm praying for the souls in purgatory. Come, let's empty Purgatory with Jesus' help!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:17 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 1689
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Religion: Catholic
Angelic Page wrote:
I'm printing this out to share with a friend and for my own benefit. Thanks!


persephone wrote:
I had no idea.


That chart sometimes makes things look a little more complicated than they are. I've always wanted to make a slightly more streamlined version but never have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:31 pm 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:41 am
Posts: 1811
Location: Archdiocese of Singapore
David Chiang wrote:
That chart sometimes makes things look a little more complicated than they are. I've always wanted to make a slightly more streamlined version but never have.


Please do it!

_________________
Kenny

Novus Ordo [strike]Mundi[/strike].
New [strike]World[/strike] Order.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: