Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 15   [ 294 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Is hell the natural fate of man?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Our Lord said "Repent" and "Sin no more". Obviously we'll have to use proper communication, but helping people to move from darkness and towards light is necessary.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:49 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Jack3 wrote:
Our Lord said "Repent" and "Sin no more". Obviously we'll have to use proper communication, but helping people to move from darkness and towards light is necessary.

Well said!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:25 am 
Master
Master

Denise Dee wrote:
It's not that I'm not aware of how some people tell other people what they should and should not do, I'm questioning whether or not it's helpful. Does it work? Just because something occurs "in every day human conversation" doesn't mean it's a good way to behave.

Is telling people "to stop sinning" a good way to behave? If you didn't mean literally telling "them" to stop sinning, using the words "stop sinning", what words would you use instead? How would you go about telling "them" to stop sinning?

And you still haven't told me who you mean by "them" or who you mean by "we".

Them = those needing help
We = those willing to help

Like in many situations in life, there is always a them and we. The person doing the helping perhaps doing a little better, but yet not perfect himself. Sometimes, the person helping himself might be doing worse, but still yet, he is willing to help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:32 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Looking for answers
Dominic wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
It's not that I'm not aware of how some people tell other people what they should and should not do, I'm questioning whether or not it's helpful. Does it work? Just because something occurs "in every day human conversation" doesn't mean it's a good way to behave.

Is telling people "to stop sinning" a good way to behave? If you didn't mean literally telling "them" to stop sinning, using the words "stop sinning", what words would you use instead? How would you go about telling "them" to stop sinning?

And you still haven't told me who you mean by "them" or who you mean by "we".

Them = those needing help
We = those willing to help

Like in many situations in life, there is always a them and we. The person doing the helping perhaps doing a little better, but yet not perfect himself. Sometimes, the person helping himself might be doing worse, but still yet, he is willing to help.

I can agree with you when you say “those willing to help” should help “those needing help”.

I cannot agree with the original wording that “we should also tell them to stop sinning”.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Jack3 wrote:

Jesus also said “Take up your bed and walk” to a man “who had an infirmity thirty-eight years”. That doesn’t mean we should say the same to people who are infirm and unable to walk.

Jesus said “Repent” and “Sin no more” to sinners. Do you not think that we are in the equivalent position of the sinners to whom Jesus said “Repent” and “Sin no more” rather than in the equivalent position of Jesus?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 am 
Master
Master

Denise Dee wrote:
I can agree with you when you say “those willing to help” should help “those needing help”.

I cannot agree with the original wording that “we should also tell them to stop sinning”.

Why?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Dominic wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

Why?

That's what I'm wondering.

Especially since it could be said that the entirety of Scripture is essentially God's answer to Cain's question, "Am I my brother's keeper."

God's answer in Scripture is an emphatic "YES!"

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:24 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
For anyone still interested in David Bentley Hart and his book arguing for universalism, Michael Pakaluk shows how DBH misrepresents St. Basil

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusi ... ical-fraud

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:05 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I have not found Hart reliable since the natural law dispute, in which he was not only wrong but also rejected correction when it was offered.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
He is exceedingly arrogant. His book on universalism also do not contain a single footnote or reference. We're just supposed to take him at his word.

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

https://twitter.com/kkringlebotten

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dominic wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

Why?

Because one sinner telling another sinner to "stop sinning" doesn't work and isn't helpful.

The sinner who tells another sinner to stop sinning puts herself in a 'holier-than-thou' position, and nobody wants to listen to 'holier-than-thou' people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Denise Dee wrote:
Dominic wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

Why?

Because one sinner telling another sinner to "stop sinning" doesn't work and isn't helpful.

The sinner who tells another sinner to stop sinning puts herself in a 'holier-than-thou' position, and nobody wants to listen to 'holier-than-thou' people.

Denise, one of the seven spiritual works of mercy is to "admonish the sinner". Of course that doesn't mean it should be done with harshness. Correction needs to be given in loving concern for the person's salvation, and after having prayed for the grace to do so kindly. Sometimes the person is irritated, and sometimes the person accepts it. We can continue to pray for them. We can plant seeds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:36 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dorothy B. wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Dominic wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

Why?

Denise, one of the seven spiritual works of mercy is to "admonish the sinner". Of course that doesn't mean it should be done with harshness. Correction needs to be given in loving concern for the person's salvation, and after having prayed for the grace to do so kindly. Sometimes the person is irritated, and sometimes the person accepts it. We can continue to pray for them. We can plant seeds.

Which is why I said:
Denise Dee wrote:

When you say that one of the seven spiritual works of mercy is to "admonish the sinner", we must never forget that we are all sinners.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:55 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Denise Dee wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Dominic wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:

Why?

Which is why I said:
Denise Dee wrote:

When you say that one of the seven spiritual works of mercy is to "admonish the sinner", we must never forget that we are all sinners.

Yes, we must never forget that we are all sinners...and when I am admonished I need to take it in God's good grace.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 15   [ 294 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15