Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 59 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apologist and Theologians asking for permission
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:42 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic
I just don't know how such a thing could be implemented when they can't even keep tabs on books.

Granted, you can autumate one and not the other but still.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:57 am 
Paladin
Paladin

Dominic wrote:

Barron teaches error on Christ's perfect knowledge and Hell. Balthasarian garbage would get a pass I see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:14 am 
Master
Master

Alexandros wrote:
Barron teaches error on Christ's perfect knowledge and Hell. Balthasarian garbage would get a pass I see.

For as many voices are out there now, I almost would rather have clergy only talking. There is no sense of having truth if most people can’t shuffle through it all. Even in error, it would at the very least be within their perview. In times past (before technology), the consciousness of the Church was clearer in so far you knew where the Church in Constantinople stood, and the positions/opinions were limited. You allowed the Church’s system to work itself out. Which ultimately meant skirmishes from within, Councils, letters, etc. Now the fighting has just expanded and it’s causing confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
So what would happen with this is that so-called "conservatives" would be cancelled and progressives would be given a free pass. This is just the state of the Church today.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:40 pm 
Master
Master

Peregrinator wrote:
So what would happen with this is that so-called "conservatives" would be cancelled and progressives would be given a free pass. This is just the state of the Church today.

Perhaps that is what happens. At which point we should pray.

The idea that this isn't a good idea because the wrong people may be the ones in power is just odd to me. That's the concern of world institutions only.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:42 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I have to disagree. There are provisions in canon law that are there specifically to protect laity from unreasonable use of authority by clergy, and there are provisions that are there specifically to protect priests and deacons from unreasonable use of authority by bishops.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:46 pm 
Master
Master

I speak specifically of faith and morals.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:52 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The principle still applies. Prudence is still a virtue.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:08 pm 
Master
Master

But these issues aren't the preview of reason alone. That's why ultimately the buck stops upwards; even though the bottom has something to say.

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:15 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes. God does not protect individual bishops against error.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:20 pm 
Master
Master

I knew that much Fr.

What I said still stands though. It just means it goes higher up like a Council or Papal approval if necessary.

What am I failing to note?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That going up the chain is difficult.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:59 pm 
Master
Master

Yes it is. That’s just the way it’s been. Always takes quite a bit of turmoil for the Church to respond at times. I realize it’s also not a top-down arbitrary system where all comes from the top. Most things brew at the bottom and push to the top. I was just trying to distinguish it from, say Eastern Orthodoxy or some system that leaves things brewing in the bottom with no solution in sight. The Church can work from either direction with the everyone understanding where the buck stops.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It's never worked terribly clearly or swiftly. Eventually we wake up one morning and discover that the hot issue for the past decades (or centuries) has gone away and something else is grabbing attention.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:40 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Of the two times I've heard Bishop Barron speak on youtube, my thought was that what he is saying is in error.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:49 am 
Paladin
Paladin

Dominic wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

For as many voices are out there now, I almost would rather have clergy only talking. There is no sense of having truth if most people can’t shuffle through it all. Even in error, it would at the very least be within their perview. In times past (before technology), the consciousness of the Church was clearer in so far you knew where the Church in Constantinople stood, and the positions/opinions were limited. You allowed the Church’s system to work itself out. Which ultimately meant skirmishes from within, Councils, letters, etc. Now the fighting has just expanded and it’s causing confusion.

What’s the point then? Hersey and error will still spread. We will just get things like Barron’s errors, Kasper’s garbage, Fr. James Martin’s debauchery, and Francis’s gobbledygook. Everyone would then seek out officially approved sources, which will funnel them into people like Barron, and create a mindset that further elevates erroneous and heretical stances since they appear to be in the majority.

You think stifling the voices of many Catholics, right or wrong, is going to speed up the process of correction? Why?

If a man has the ability to speak the truth in the face of error, we should back down because we’re not clergy? The Church is in an extreme crisis and hemorrhaging in some places and we should leave it up to clerics? The majority of men are still following the prerogatives of wishy-washy theology and philosophy that is keeping the fires of crisis burning.

Anyone who is able should speak up within their capacity (not all should of course) - if not then we are cowards, not fit for the Church militant.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:32 am 
Master
Master

Alexandros wrote:
What’s the point then? Hersey and error will still spread. We will just get things like Barron’s errors, Kasper’s garbage, Fr. James Martin’s debauchery, and Francis’s gobbledygook. Everyone would then seek out officially approved sources, which will funnel them into people like Barron, and create a mindset that further elevates erroneous and heretical stances since they appear to be in the majority.

You think stifling the voices of many Catholics, right or wrong, is going to speed up the process of correction? Why?

If a man has the ability to speak the truth in the face of error, we should back down because we’re not clergy? The Church is in an extreme crisis and hemorrhaging in some places and we should leave it up to clerics? The majority of men are still following the prerogatives of wishy-washy theology and philosophy that is keeping the fires of crisis burning.

Anyone who is able should speak up within their capacity (not all should of course) - if not then we are cowards, not fit for the Church militant.

I see.

The Church Militant will save us.

I don’t particularly care for the us vs them approach. It’s just Catholics……some more broken than others. That isn’t to be confused with being complacent.

The idea isn’t to give more power to one over the other (even though that is what will inevitable happen). The idea is to shrink the Colosseum down and not limited to just clergy.

What we are seeing is not new, but it is certainly different.

Different in that it isn’t one side vs another (closer to how it was in times past). If we simply stick with those wishing to submit to the Church and ignore far extremes, it’s still messy. You have the Remnant types talking about Voris and his ilk. You have Voris talking about the conservatives, you have FSSPers talking about SSPSers and so on. It’s several sides and it’s being done in a platform that’s never existed before. It ends up dividing at a rapid pace. I clearly remember the Remnant guys being chummy with Miachel Voris and even guys that agree tremendously have shifted away. Is this your solution?

This scripture comes to mind:
1 Cor 3:3…While there is jealousy and rivalry among you,* are you not of the flesh, and behaving in an ordinary human way?b4Whenever someone says, “I belong to Paul,” and another, “I belong to Apollos,” are you not merely human?

Like I said, too many voices. God has always worked this out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:21 am 
Citizen
Citizen

When a person takes the time to understand Church teaching correctly, then all of the other "voices" can be tuned out. This leads to stability for that person and others. The answer is simple. It is not 'things have changed and there is great freaking out across the land.' Nonsense will remain nonsense regardless of what form it takes or what platform it uses. In everyday reality, the us vs them scenario does not occur. It is invented as part of the ongoing attacks against the Church which she has had to deal with since the beginning. Jesus Christ promised He would guard His Church and He will raise up the truth in the midst of error.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm 
Master
Master

Amon98 wrote:
When a person takes the time to understand Church teaching correctly, then all of the other "voices" can be tuned out. This leads to stability for that person and others. The answer is simple. It is not 'things have changed and there is great freaking out across the land.' Nonsense will remain nonsense regardless of what form it takes or what platform it uses. In everyday reality, the us vs them scenario does not occur. It is invented as part of the ongoing attacks against the Church which she has had to deal with since the beginning. Jesus Christ promised He would guard His Church and He will raise up the truth in the midst of error.

I don’t necessarily disagree, I just think it’s short sighted to think that men like Bishop Barron don’t take “the time to understand Church teaching correctly”……

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Either someone speaks the truth or they don't. Each individual Catholic should educate himself about what he believes. Then, where appropriate, error should be pointed out. It is worth noting that only a few names get the most 'air time' on Catholic sites. Each of us is a servant and that includes Pope Francis. I encourage my fellow Catholics to point out error in charity so that others may not be confused.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 59 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next