Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No Confession is needed?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:12 pm 

Religion: Converting
Criteria for mortal sin: Grave Matter, Full Knowledge, Full Consent of the Will. I have never had a "full knowledge" of the gravity of my bad comission, omissons, thoughts and so on. Thus I have never commited a moryal sin. I knew that I did commit omissions but I never had a full knoowledge of how bad it was. So I were to become a Catholic I do not need to go to Confession. I do not say that I am perfect so I need to be honest about my omissions but I did not have perect knowledge of how bad it was. What do you say?

Post subject: Re: No Confession is needed?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:26 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
You know now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:36 pm 

People have been able to figure it out when they commited mortal sins. I am not as smart as them. I cannot figure it out. It is bloody hard. It really is.

I do not know how you figure out such things. How are you able to do this? I am confused. I wish it was a lot easier!
Becoming a Catholic requier too much!
If I have any mortal sins it is probably only sins of omissions.
Maybe I have comitted a lot of mortal sins without being aware of it?

I think that I have my own way of dealing with stuff. There is a need I have for exolaining things my way. I do this all the time.
The Priests just want me to stop being who I am.
Why is it wrong to speak about omisssions if your conscience think about it that way?
I have a stupid conscience?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:05 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Go to confession and tell the things you've done that bother you. Make a good-faith effort to mention anything that you think is "important", however you'd define "important." That's enough.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Different priests will approach things different ways, and it may take you some time to find a priest who can work with you well in confession.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:33 pm 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Go to confession and tell the things you've done that bother you. Make a good-faith effort to mention anything that you think is "important", however you'd define "important." That's enough.

If I only feel like confessing sins of omissions will a Priests tell me that this is not enough?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:06 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I don't believe you are quite clear on what "full knowledge" really is. :fyi: You do not need to have perfect knowledge of the gravity of your sins for them to count as mortal sins. You need to know that the act is wrong and that you are committing the act. Keep in mind also that the law is written in your heart, and that there are some things you can't not know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:19 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I suggest working your way through the Ten Commandments.

Have you ever worshiped a false God, or engaged in fortune telling and the like?
Have you ever failed to take part in Sunday worship?
Have you ever failed to keep a promise or sworn a false oath?
Have you ever failed to give your parents or those in authority over you the respect they deserve?
Have you ever brought physical or emotional harm to someone else?
Have you ever misused sexuality?
Have you ever stolen?
Have you ever lied?
Have you ever been envious?

Don't answer those questions here, but do ask them of yourself, and if the answer to any of them is "yes" in a serious way, it's something you should confess. As gherkin points out, we don't have to be told that these are wrong. It's written into human nature.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

This is the best explanation of "full knowledge" (or "full advertence") that I have come across. It's from Fr. Thomas Slater S.J., A Manual of Moral Theology:
Quote:
There must be full advertence to the grave malice of the act. A child that has not yet attained the full use of reason, a person half asleep, or half drunk, or half-witted, cannot know and appreciate sufficiently the malice of mortal sin, and so cannot commit it. It is not, however, necessary to reflect explicitly on God; or on the grave wickedness contained in the act in order to sin mortally. It will be sufficient if one who has the full use of reason consciously does what he knows to be seriously wrong, although there is no actual weighing of motives for doing or avoiding the act, no actual thought of God, no explicit calling to mind of the terrible consequences of mortal sin. Men who never think of God from morning till night, men who do not believe in hell, certainly commit mortal sins when they do what their consciences tell them is seriously wrong. Their conscience, as we saw above, is the voice of God.

And if you have never in fact done something you knew to be seriously wrong, can you honestly say you've never done anything you apprehended to be "a little wrong" (e.g., white lies)? Those are venial sins, and are acceptable matter for confession.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:18 pm 
There Can Be Only One

As usual, I leave the broad theological and nuanced insights to my betters. However, as a pew-sitter, I offer that, in the realm of confession, there ain't no olly, olly, oxen free nor get out of jail free card. You're in the booth with the rest of us. Only one sinless One.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:01 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Highlander wrote:
As usual, I leave the broad theological and nuanced insights to my betters. However, as a pew-sitter, I offer that, in the realm of confession, there ain't no olly, olly, oxen free nor get out of jail free card. You're in the booth with the rest of us. Only one sinless One.

I was raised in a "once saved always saved" household, and the era of "if it feels good, do it". I had plenty to confess that first time. I might not have known it was a sin before, but by the time I got in the confessional I did. I no longer had ignorance to plead.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
ingenting wrote:
Criteria for mortal sin: Grave Matter, Full Knowledge, Full Consent of the Will. I have never had a "full knowledge" of the gravity of my bad comission, omissons, thoughts and so on. Thus I have never commited a moryal sin. I knew that I did commit omissions but I never had a full knoowledge of how bad it was. So I were to become a Catholic I do not need to go to Confession. I do not say that I am perfect so I need to be honest about my omissions but I did not have perect knowledge of how bad it was. What do you say?

I think your attitude is ALL WRONG. It's not just about doing wrong. It's about hurting Someone who loves you more than you can possibly know in this life. Would you say the same thing regarding an unconscious sin towards your Mother, or Father, or someone you love more than life itself?

And it's more than that even......the Christian life is about theosis, that is, changing into Christlikeness. Sin blocks this. The Sacraments are the medicine which helps us to heal and become god-like. They bring out the divine nature in us.

Why would you not wish to confess them and receive all those benefits?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:41 am 

is it wrong if you only tell the Priests your omissions, ie you knew what you should have done but never did it?
Or is the Church super focused on comissions?
If I would like to complain I would say this: Priests are too focused on forcing people to see their sins as comissions!
People should be free to confess sins as omissions if their consciences tell them that.
I cannot in good conscience talk about sins as simply commissions!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:32 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

ingenting wrote:
If I would like to complain I would say this: Priests are too focused on forcing people to see their sins as comissions! ...

Priests are not there to force or accuse - they are there to act in the person of Christ to hear your sins and (hopefully)
to give absolution. Just confess what you now know was or may have been a sin against the Commandments as listed above,
give them to God, receive the absolution, do your penance, and be at peace.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:09 am 

Notnew wrote:
ingenting wrote:
If I would like to complain I would say this: Priests are too focused on forcing people to see their sins as comissions! ...

Priests are not there to force or accuse - they are there to act in the person of Christ to hear your sins and (hopefully)
to give absolution. Just confess what you now know was or may have been a sin against the Commandments as listed above,

The ten vommandmemts are problematic. I cannot live by avoiding certain things. I would rather focus on what do to rather than what not to do. The Bible seem to have gotten it a bit wrong in the ten commandments. We cannot live by focusing on what not to do. Even the Church focuses on what not to do. It doesn't work at all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It is much easier on us to be told what we ought not to do. A list describing all the things we can do or should do would be endless.

Please don't say that the Bibe got things wrong. God knows what He is doing; if it doesn't make sense to you, the problem is in your understanding, not in any mistake on God's part.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:41 pm 
There Can Be Only One

ingenting wrote:
...I would rather focus on what do to rather than what not to do. ...

That focus is ridiculously easy. We have instructed, by example and word, on what to do. Repeatedly -- in the Bible in the lives of the Saints, in the teachings of the Church, in the Mass. For example:

25 So from now on, there must be no more lies. Speak the truth to one another, since we are all parts of one another.
26 Even if you are angry, do not sin: never let the sun set on your anger
27 or else you will give the devil a foothold.
28 Anyone who was a thief must stop stealing; instead he should exert himself at some honest job with his own hands so that he may have something to share with those in need.
29 No foul word should ever cross your lips; let your words be for the improvement of others, as occasion offers, and do good to your listeners;
30 do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God who has marked you with his seal, ready for the day when we shall be set free.
31 Any bitterness or bad temper or anger or shouting or abuse must be far removed from you -- as must every kind of malice.
32 Be generous to one another, sympathetic, forgiving each other as readily as God forgave you in Christ.

Ephesians 4:25-32

It is much harder to do what we have been instructed to do than to avoid what we have been told not to do.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

I needed to be reminded of some of those, all of course, but some in particular.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:54 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ingenting wrote:
Notnew wrote:
ingenting wrote:

The ten vommandmemts are problematic. I cannot live by avoiding certain things. I would rather focus on what do to rather than what not to do. The Bible seem to have gotten it a bit wrong in the ten commandments. We cannot live by focusing on what not to do. Even the Church focuses on what not to do. It doesn't work at all!

"Do not be overcome by evil, rather overcome evil w/good."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:32 am 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
It is much easier on us to be told what we ought not to do. A list describing all the things we can do or should do would be endless.

Please don't say that the Bibe got things wrong. God knows what He is doing; if it doesn't make sense to you, the problem is in your understanding, not in any mistake on God's part.

Would you want a teacher tell you what not to do?
The problem is that people focuses too much on what not to do. This can make people passive. It is very easy for a teacher to tell their students they are wrong instead of telling them what they did not do that they should have done.
Moses was to focused on what not to do. This isn't very helpful I think. Tell me what to do rather than what I shouldn't do. Why was Moses so focused on avoidance?
Has anyone really lived a good life based on avoidance?