Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 14   [ 267 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pope: Female Deacons/Married Priests?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Doom wrote:

For the first 1000+ years of Church history, married priests were at least as common and often more common than celibate priests. Celibacy has always been an extremely difficult rule to enforce, this is not a new problem.

This is what I was getting at earlier... .maybe you missed it?

It's one thing to understand that at one point, married priests were at least as common as, if not more common than, celibate priests.

It's something else to understand that waaaaaay back then, a married priest was then obligated to be continent, and to avoid normal conjugal relations with his wife, would put his wife away, etc.. And that triggered the problem of 'kinda sorta looking and smelling like a divorce'? So then they live together, but are to remain continent, but then that creates the problem of --- as you point out --- "extremely difficult rule to enforce." ..... Which is how/why priests started to be chosen only from among the ranks of celibate men.

Meh.. that's kinda it in a nutshell.

The "married priest" of yestermillenium is undoubtedly NOT the kind of 'married priest' that is being envisioned in today's world, I'd say.

Incidentally, where has Denise Dee run off to?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:32 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
tAnGo wrote:

Probably pursuing that r.... l.... thing we've heard about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:49 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peregrinator wrote:
It's not heretical but it definitely is contrary to the tradition of the Latin rite. Other rites and Churches in communion with the Holy See have their own traditions, but the tradition of the Latin rite is that priests are celibate

Even in the East, celibacy has always been regarded as the ideal. But it was only in the reign of Gregory VII that attempts were madeto insist that it must be universal, and it wasn't until after the Reformation that the attempt was successful. In terms of the full history of the Church, that's like the day before yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:57 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
tAnGo wrote:
Doom wrote:

For the first 1000+ years of Church history, married priests were at least as common and often more common than celibate priests. Celibacy has always been an extremely difficult rule to enforce, this is not a new problem.

This is what I was getting at earlier... .maybe you missed it?

It's one thing to understand that at one point, married priests were at least as common as, if not more common than, celibate priests.

It's something else to understand that waaaaaay back then, a married priest was then obligated to be continent, and to avoid normal conjugal relations with his wife, would put his wife away, etc.. And that triggered the problem of 'kinda sorta looking and smelling like a divorce'? So then they live together, but are to remain continent, but then that creates the problem of --- as you point out --- "extremely difficult rule to enforce." ..... Which is how/why priests started to be chosen only from among the ranks of celibate men.

Meh.. that's kinda it in a nutshell.

The "married priest" of yestermillenium is undoubtedly NOT the kind of 'married priest' that is being envisioned in today's world, I'd say.

There are all sorts of practical problems with a married priesthood, which is why I am not advocating it. What I am doing is pointing out that it is silly to react to the idea with the kind of horror that might be expected if someone had suggested that we should have mandatory, forced abortions to reduce the population. There are things that deserve outrageously outrageous outrage, but I think the idea that we could carve out a small exception to the celibacy rule for priests is not one of them

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:31 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Signum Crucis wrote:
tAnGo wrote:

Probably pursuing that r.... l.... thing we've heard about.

:swoon

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:50 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

r... l... What am I missing here? Like an onion, I become familiar with a layer and then another layer appears.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:31 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Some people apparently have a thing called a "real life." We don't like to talk about it. It may be mythical.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:56 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

:lalala :troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:37 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Real Life. I've heard about this. I've read a thing or two. But I certainly don't have one. For me, an unreal life is average. Although I do sometimes take a drive to reacquaint myself and then it's back to unreality. Not that bad all around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Amon98 wrote:
For me, an unreal life is average.

Ah! This explains your repeated suggestions that bringing our legitimate concerns to the attention of Pope Francis might help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I am detecting sarcasm here. I'm sure of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:41 pm 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I’m shicked - SHICKED! that members of this board would resort to using sarcasm.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Pickles can be a bit acidic.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:55 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

True, true.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:58 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Was my post sarcastic? :scratch: I'd have said it was banter. I am never sarcastic. :fyi:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Banter? Hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 pm 
There Can Be Only One

A kind of rooster. Right?

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 pm 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
Amon98 wrote:
For me, an unreal life is average.

Ah! This explains your repeated suggestions that bringing our legitimate concerns to the attention of Pope Francis might help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

You're short one :laughhard . I counted.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Highlander wrote:
A kind of rooster. Right?

That would be a Bantam. Which is a smaller version of the original.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:09 pm 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Christian
Well...

BOOM !

Benedict XVI Breaks Silence
by STEVE RAY on JANUARY 12, 2020
https://catholicconvert.com/blog/2020/0 ... s-silence/

Various articles and views;
Benedict weighs in on question of married priests

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Benedict+weig ... 5-1&ia=web

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 14   [ 267 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next