Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Sister and the Habit.... Questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
When did Sisters stop wearing habits more regularly?
Was this a liberalizing push to have them wear street clothes?

Post subject: Re: The Sister and the Habit.... Questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:23 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
I think it was around the beginning of July and intensified as August approached. ;)

The nuns that taught me how to say 'Yes Sister' wore heavy brown and black wool flowing habits and starched white boards that cut into their face. I have no idea how they did it.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
After Vatican II, and yes.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:37 pm 
Master
Master

Was any of it linked specifically to feminism?

Have nuns been more protected from this liberalization that happened with Sisters? And I only ask since nuns make vows that gainsay a worldliness that sisters don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:04 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
It is nowhere near that simple. Yes, there are some religious orders that are now in decline, and some who have already disappeared that abandoned habits or became laxer with the rules regarding habits, after Vatican II.

But it is nowhere near as simple as 'before Vatican II, nuns wore habits, but now they don't.'

For one thing, not all women's religious orders have worn habits. Some religious orders have never worn habits. Others have traditionally worn habits, but only some of the time. Some religious orders are teaching orders and others are medical orders, and they have always worn clothing that is appropriate to those professions rather than habits. at least when they were 'out and about' doing their work. After all, a full habit would not only be inconvenient but would actually become a hindrance to someone who was working in a hospital as a nurse.

Others were 'habits' but they have never looked like the habits you see nuns wear in movies. The stereotypical 'Hollywood nun' was always less common than the popular image of a nun might suggest. Because their habits look nothing like the stereotypical 'Hollywood nun', you might not even notice that they, in fact, ARE wearing their traditional habits.

It has also never been true that all nuns live communally in a convent, again, contrary to the popular image. There is really no such thing as a 'generic nun' and there never was.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nevertheless, it is unquestionably true that many religious sisters no longer wear anything that is immediately identifiable as a habit, and that many no longer live in convents, and that much of this grew out of post V-II feminism.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:09 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
Yes, there are some religious orders that are now in decline

I believe the great majority of religious orders are now in decline. Those that aren't stand out as exceptional.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:14 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
Others were 'habits' but they have never looked like the habits you see nuns wear in movies. The stereotypical 'Hollywood nun' was always less common than the popular image of a nun might suggest. Because their habits look nothing like the stereotypical 'Hollywood nun', you might not even notice that they, in fact, ARE wearing their traditional habits.

Where do you think the stereotypical nun's habit you see in the movies was based on? Even many teaching orders prior to Vatican II wore the full habit (just look at some older pictures). Of course it must be said that women religious did not always abandon the habit of their own volition -- some did it at the urging of the Congregation for Religious:

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/09/21/arch ... dress.html

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Peregrinator wrote:
Doom wrote:

Where do you think the stereotypical nun's habit you see in the movies was based on? Even many teaching orders prior to Vatican II wore the full habit (just look at some older pictures). Of course it must be said that women religious did not always abandon the habit of their own volition -- some did it at the urging of the Congregation for Religious:

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/09/21/arch ... dress.html

Back in 1949, when my sister was born, in a Sisters of Charity hospital (the only nuns I was likely to see), they looked Hollywood traditional to me.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm curious what orders didn't wear traditional habits even in the Good Old Days.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:52 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm curious what orders didn't wear traditional habits even in the Good Old Days.

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton's Sisters of Charity wore an unusual habit (the bonnet, etc.). But of course that was recognizable as a habit and today they've abandoned it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:40 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Right. I'm not saying that they all wore robes etc. But their attire was always very recognizable for what it was, which is often no longer the case.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:44 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

The Daughters of the Heart of Mary, founded in France during the French Revolution, never wore recognizable habits or were addressed as "Sister."

https://www.dhmary.com/our-history/

Come to me all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

True, although, as that page notes, the lack of habit was born of necessity (outwards signs of religious profession being forbidden at the time).

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Right, they are the exception that proves the rule.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:50 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Some of my college classmates were members of the Sisters of Social Service. Their institute was founded in Hungary in 1923 and from the beginning, they wore suits and a hat in place of a religious habit and veil.

Come to me all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 pm 
Master
Master

Mary Ruth wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

The Daughters of the Heart of Mary, founded in France during the French Revolution, never wore recognizable habits or were addressed as "Sister."

https://www.dhmary.com/our-history/

They seem more concerned about with climate change in that link.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:16 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Mary Ruth wrote:
Some of my college classmates were members of the Sisters of Social Service. Their institute was founded in Hungary in 1923 and from the beginning, they wore suits and a hat in place of a religious habit and veil.

Ummm, that's not completely accurate, you can find pictures of them on the Internet.
Attachment:
sistersofsocialservice.jpg

Now it does look like there are older pictures of them in which they are not wearing a hat at all, my guess is that they adopted the distinctive veil in the 1930s. In any case, what they are wearing is distinctive and recognizable as religious garb.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:18 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

all nuns should wear something that makes them stand out from the world..

the black w/ white collar that priests wear signifies death to the world, meaning priests are not "of the world" as the Word says

why should nuns be any different?

women by their nature (fallen nature that is) are already.. shall we say weaker..? I heard somewhere that the devil attacks women more than men or in a more intense way or something to that effect

after all Eve was actually deceived by Satan.. Adam was not. If that sounds sexist, consider that Adam has the greater sin simply because of this not having the excuse of being deceived.. He deliberately, knowingly disobeyed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:12 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Yes, and all the men abandoned Our Lord at His Cross, except for St. John, while the women stayed by Him.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next