Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Since Vatican II
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I know Victoria well; I used to teach in Region XIII ages ago. It's a beautiful town, even if y'all did keep electing that kook Ron Paul. But I digress.

You mean Region III? Region XIII is in Austin, but perhaps you had to saunter through on occasion. You may know it has expanded. They now have conference rooms and more offices on the former Victoria HS campus.

Ron Paul has gone a bit overboard lately. Interestingly, he was my congressman in Houston before I moved to Victoria.

The town lost its only major bookstore, leaving us with a store for used books. On the plus side, UH-Victoria keeps growing and growing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Riverboat wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I know Victoria well; I used to teach in Region XIII ages ago. It's a beautiful town, even if y'all did keep electing that kook Ron Paul. But I digress.

You mean Region III? Region XIII is in Austin, but perhaps you had to saunter through on occasion. You may know it has expanded. They now have conference rooms and more offices on the former Victoria HS campus.

Ron Paul has gone a bit overboard lately. Interestingly, he was my congressman in Houston before I moved to Victoria.

The town lost its only major bookstore, leaving us with a store for used books. On the plus side, UH-Victoria keeps growing and growing.

I did mean Region III, sorry. I taught at Rice CISD. We went to Victoria for in-service.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:19 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
We went to Victoria for in-service.
Rice Con, eh? Well, that's a little out of the way for in-service. Me, I would go out my way to avoid in-service.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:32 pm 

Riverboat wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
We went to Victoria for in-service.
Rice Con, eh? Well, that's a little out of the way for in-service. Me, I would go out my way to avoid in-service.

I enjoy ANY opportunity to travel at my employer's expense, rare as they are. We always had a lot of fun on those road trips. I would get irritated by the thought police at ESC, though. They were downright savage toward the men. That would always tick me off.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I enjoy ANY opportunity to travel at my employer's expense, rare as they are. We always had a lot of fun on those road trips. I would get irritated by the thought police at ESC, though.

Oh, sure. I took any opportunity to attend something out of town. Who would pass up an opportunity to eat fabulously at company expense AND get out of the classroom?

The people at ESC - well, anybody with the temerity to tell teachers how to do their job - are a breed apart. I looked for opportunities to get even, though. Once I wrote a movie review of an in-service presentation. Anything to kill time and have fun at their expense.

Last edited by Riverboat on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 pm 

The matrons at Region III lost my respect when they started a two-day inservice by spending several minutes giving meticulous directions to several ladies' rooms throughout the building, then saying "Guys, we don't know where the men's rooms are, so you're on your own." Gee, talk about your warm welcome. :nooo:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
The matrons at Region III lost my respect when they started a two-day inservice by spending several minutes giving meticulous directions to several ladies' rooms throughout the building, then saying "Guys, we don't know where the men's rooms are, so you're on your own." Gee, talk about your warm welcome. :nooo:

"Never mind, then. I'll just go behind this here bush."

It occurred to me I should post that review I wrote years ago:

MOVIE REVIEW OF DECISION-MAKING PROCESS
FOR THE TEXAS ASSESSMENT PROGRAM

produced by: Region III in partnership with VISD

On Thursday, November 20, a day which will live in infamy, I sacrificed 30 minutes of my life to watch the must-see film of the year, produced by those mavens of educational excellence at Region III. After signing in and taking a seat, I awaited an extra five minutes as technical glitches held out the promise of a stay of execution.

It was not to be. Someone found the right button to get things started. Fortunately, I had come equipped with paper and pencil so I could take notes and write up a review.

In a nutshell, this movie puts the ASS in assessment.

Despite the ominous title, there were many positive aspects. The quality of the sound reproduction subdued the excitement of the two narrators' flat, monotone voices. Also, there was the brilliant attention-getting device of flipping the picture the way old TV sets used to do during crucial moments of a ball game.

Putting Grandma in a red dress with a red background festooned with foliage in Part I lent a festive atmosphere. I could almost smell the Christmas cookies baking off-stage.

How blessed we are that Region III is committed to equal opportunities for those of unequal abilities. Such as the ability to read from a cue card, or focus straight ahead. Maybe the woman in Part II with the orangish hair was distracted. I know I was when I kept looking at what appeared to be brown drool coming from one side of her mouth, and the bowl-type haircut on her head. She must have used a mixing bowl because her head was the size of a pumpkin.

All in all, it was an effective dramatization of regulations laden with acronyms, with the level of quality one expects from an outfit devoted to good education and visual aids. I rate it four Barcoloungers out of five. I was about to draw another Barcolounger, but my head slipped off my hand, and I almost impaled myself on my pencil. Fortunately, it landed on the eraser end.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:41 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I've met Mrs. Timmy once, in Nashville. We had Mexican and a lovely visit.

I met Brendan in Nashville. We went to dinner, ate a lot of pickles, (I posted a picture), and went to Lonnie's on Printers Alley. We spent the whole time there posting on the board about our activities, drinking beer, and listening to karaoke. It seems like those were two different times, so I'm not really sure if we met up once or twice.

I met up with Teacher and Wife twice. Both times it was an experience to be remembered. The first time was in Georgia. They stayed at the state park, and they were trying to call me to let me know they made it. No answer. They thought I was hiding from them. I was trying to call them. No answer. I thought they had changed their mind. Finally, a light bulb went off and I checked the landline wires. Elvis had chewed them slap in two. I don't remember how I finally reached them, but my husband Donnie and I had a nice visit with them by the lake at the park, and then dinner at a lakeside restaurant way out in the woods. Teacher and Donnie talked military stuff.

The second time was in Nashville. We were supposed to meet downtown at 6 pm. At 1 pm I was taking my pregnant daughter to a doctor appointment, and a woman ran a stop sign and I t-boned her car. Daughter was having contractions and took the ambulance to the hospital. I had a chest contusion and banged up knees which were swelling bigger by the minute. My older daughter and her husband arranged to have my totaled car towed, (the other woman drove off in hers), took me to the hospital, and took my granddaughter and grandson home. Pregnant daughter stayed overnight, I was there until 5:00 waiting for my x-ray results. I was discharged at 5:30, and older daughter, her hubby, and I flew downtown to meet Teacher and Wife and Teacher Daughter. We went to a pub for barbecue. By the time I got back to the hospital to check on pregnant daughter, I could barely walk.

Teacher's name was Jim. I couldn't stop calling him Teacher.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
we had a group that met teacher and tw at chuy's for a nice sunday lunch when they were coming back through houston heading west ... they had their dog with them and left him in the pop top... there was a picture of that meeting floating around here somewhere

sig, have you kept up with her since his passing?

oops, it seems i already shared that meeting earlier in the thread... oh my... there ya go :nooo:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

She's not on FB anymore that I can tell. I haven't heard from her since about a year after his death.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Here's a nice group pic posted by Blondie

https://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewto ... 34&t=60816

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:51 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

i was hoping things turned around for her ... she seemed quite lost there for a while

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:54 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Signum Crucis wrote:
Here's a nice group pic posted by Blondie

https://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewto ... 34&t=60816

dang, that was a get together i so wanted to get to... i'm not sure i recall why i was not able to make it :? :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

TW hasn't been on FB since May 2016.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2