Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Discernment of Spirits (?)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:51 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Hello :)

Am I correct in believing that the spiritual gift - discerning of spirits = when a person is able to sense, see, identify when another person is influenced to a degree, in a sort of "mood" such as anger, hatred, sadness, etc., such that it is an unhealthy portion of emotion/spirit on their part?

The main reason I ask is, I tend to have a knack for sensing things from people I don't even know before they even speak. That said, I do have training to read body language etc., but even before I did, I had that ability, so the training only seemed to heighten it. Further, I sense things without any body cues or "tells". It is just odd sometimes. I've wondered about this for years but have been very reluctant to ask anyone. Now we have this mostly anonymous online stuff....

That said, I do not wish to presume I have a spiritual gift, but am trying to determine if that's what I've experienced. Maybe I should talk to a priest about it? Or perhaps I need to just continue keeping my trap shut.....

All input is welcome :))

Thanks bunches ya all!

Post subject: Re: Discernment of Spirits (?)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:59 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Talking to a priest in person may be the best choice, but it won't hurt to see if anyone can help here.

Post subject: Re: Discernment of Spirits (?)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
To the best of my understanding, what you describe is discernment of spirits the way it's often understood in the Charismatic movement. Also to the best of my understanding, that's not the way it's usually been understood in the history of the Church. At least since the time of St. Ignatius of Loyola, "discernment of spirits" means discerning which spirits are affecting a person's decision-making. Are the things that he thinks come from God really coming from Him or someone who works for Him? Are they from the enemy? Are they self-generated? Or are things we fear really warnings from on high?

You can see that approach laid out in the posts here: https://spiritualdirection.com/tags/dis ... of-spirits

Need something to read?