All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LutheranSatire founder on abortion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
http://thefederalist.com/2019/02/14/inf ... upporters/

Quote:
Once upon a time, a man attended a party on the first floor of a skyscraper. Shortly after the party began, another man burst in and told everyone a fire had just started in the next room and the only way to escape was by taking a five-foot drop out the window. But the smell of the smoke wasn’t very strong, and the partygoer didn’t want to roll an ankle in the jump, so he convinced himself that the fire wasn’t real. Instead of escaping, he and his friends took the party up to the second floor, far away from the buzz-killy ramblings of crazy Captain Fire Crier.... And so on and so on, until you find yourself at the top of that skyscraper. Not long ago, you thought abortion was a necessary evil that needed to be permitted but limited to the time before the fetus could feel pain. Now you’re insisting that abortion is a positive good that should be celebrated and available up until birth—or after, if ever a child targeted for termination has the audacity to escape the birth canal alive. Now you can’t oppose the brazen monstrosity of infanticide because you are too terrified to take the plunge that you’re certain stopped being survivable 50 stories earlier.

I'm keeping it here, not the Political Asylum, so that the thesis can be considered in itself.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: LutheranSatire founder on abortion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:19 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
It's an illustrative analogy and while it may work for some people it doesn't resonate with me.

The real problem is twofold, perhaps more than two, but two chief issues come to mind.

1. They aren't thinkers. They're feelers. Here he uses a thinking man's analogy and that simply won't work because as he says in the analogy itself these are unthinking people ruled by their emotions who go with the flow of the crowd. All the time we end up saying how can these people possibly think that? The answer is that they don't, they aren't thinking.

2. They're evil, selfish people. You can't convince them with your high morals.

Both points demonstrate a need to cultivate the underlying traits first, whereas the points he makes only work on those already possessing such traits.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
I dont think the analogy is directed at the pro choice crowd, Bomb, but rather at the nominally prolife or at those not militantly pro-abortion. The point is about how much higher the cost has become today in opposing infanticide than in was before.

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:25 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

theJack wrote:
I dont think the analogy is directed at the pro choice crowd, Bomb, but rather at the nominally prolife or at those not militantly pro-abortion. The point is about how much higher the cost has become today in opposing infanticide than in was before.

I agree with theJack.

The sky grows darker. And the sea may rise higher.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:48 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
cuz.... global warming gkc :fyi: ::):

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
GKC wrote:
theJack wrote:

I agree with theJack.

The sky grows darker. And the sea may rise higher.

I'm glad I get that reference.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite