Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: women don't want to marry man who makes less $$
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
this was on Fox News last night, some statistic about how women won't marry a man who makes less than she does which presumably happens more these days than b4? (the implication was there)

I'm thinking as I watch this story:

God's will is being done in this seemingly "bad" situation of people not marrying as much as they used to. I guess married people get rich faster and more often than non-rich.. so marriage is a good thing economically speaking

I say God's will is done because

what kind of moron would marry a woman who wouldn't marry him if he made less $$?

"But Honey, you said you love me and would marry me"

"That was before you lost your job at Boeing."

not a good scenario except that it is good for the man (after he gets past the pain) because he dodged a bullet, found out b4 getting too involved that she wasn't worth being involved with

Post subject: Re: women don't want to marry man who makes less $$
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:53 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
It doesn't matter the reason, if your decision to marry or not is based on such shallow grounds, you're in trouble.

When we got married I made more money, now she does, though I could make more, but don't, to have more time at home. Honestly, I don't think either of us cares about how much it is. At least not who makes more. She does like to see the numbers on her check and her year end total be larger, I don't particularly care.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Bombadil wrote:
It doesn't matter the reason, if your decision to marry or not is based on such shallow grounds, you're in trouble.

When we got married I made more money, now she does, though I could make more, but don't, to have more time at home. Honestly, I don't think either of us cares about how much it is. At least not who makes more. She does like to see the numbers on her check and her year end total be larger, I don't particularly care.

that's interesting. generally, it is usually the man who wants to make more or cares more about that kind of thing

anyway, it is troubling that young people today are waiting much longer to get married, but then again, maybe not because marriage is a very serious thing. I myself can't imagine spending the rest of my life with someone unless that person is just... not perfect but perfect for me, whatever that may entail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:20 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Bombadil wrote:

I don't think it is 'shallow' at all. The question is 'why do they feel that way?' and the answer is 'because making more money makes her the breadwinner, and the head of the marriage, after all, it is proverbial, 'the one who pays the piper calls the tune' and that isn't what she wants, what she wants is for her husband to be in charge, symbolized by him being the breadwinner.' The fact that most women say that means that, despite decades of feminist brainwashing, most women still desire not to be the one in charge, but to submit to her husband's leadership in the marriage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I don't think it is 'shallow' at all. The question is 'why do they feel that way?' and the answer is 'because making more money makes her the breadwinner, and the head of the marriage, after all, it is proverbial, 'the one who pays the piper calls the tune' and that isn't what she wants, what she wants is for her husband to be in charge, symbolized by him being the breadwinner.' The fact that most women say that means that, despite decades of feminist brainwashing, most women still desire not to be the one in charge, but to submit to her husband's leadership in the marriage.

too bad not all men are worthy of that

I mean the abusive ones should not be in charge, to state the obvious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:55 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I call bravo sierra. Source, please?

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Source for what exactly? Isn't it transparently obvious that women don't want to be the 'boss' in the marriage? Women don't respect other women when they see other women being the 'boss' of her husband, the term 'ballbreaker' is leveled against women by other women just as often as by men, and they don't respect the husband who allows himself to be 'bossed' around by his wife. No woman wants to be married to a wimp.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:15 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Doom wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

Source for what exactly? Isn't it transparently obvious that women don't want to be the 'boss' in the marriage? Women don't respect other women when they see other women being the 'boss' of her husband, the term 'ballbreaker' is leveled against women by other women just as often as by men, and they don't respect the husband who allows himself to be 'bossed' around by his wife. No woman wants to be married to a wimp.

Just what I thought. No source, no proof, no credibility, no clue. No different than any other pontification of yours. :nooo:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: None
flyingaway wrote:
I guess married people get rich faster and more often than non-rich.. so marriage is a good thing economically speaking

Married men have higher earnings than single men, women's earnings don't usually benefit the same way. If a women marries down, she has to adjust her lifestyle. If she marries up, she can keep the lifestyle and raise the kids. While the stay-at-home dad is an option, I don't know a lot of women that would be happy with the option. Though I know several men that would love to play with the kids and do whatever work they can from home.

Also education and earning are correlated to intelligence and deferral of reward. A good strategy to have successful children, is to marry a successful man. Marrying a dumb, lazy and impulsive man may not result in the most successful children.

The problem is that high-earning women delay marriage, and that by the time they're looking successful men are already taken, it's harder for a woman to date significantly younger. A man who wants marriage and a family can date/marry younger and wait for baby fever. A woman should only wait so long, and it's less likely the man will develop baby fever. At a certain point expectations have to be adjusted or the chance of a good marriage just keeps going down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

WorBlux wrote:
flyingaway wrote:
I guess married people get rich faster and more often than non-rich.. so marriage is a good thing economically speaking

Married men have higher earnings than single men, women's earnings don't usually benefit the same way. If a women marries down, she has to adjust her lifestyle. If she marries up, she can keep the lifestyle and raise the kids. While the stay-at-home dad is an option, I don't know a lot of women that would be happy with the option. Though I know several men that would love to play with the kids and do whatever work they can from home.

Also education and earning are correlated to intelligence and deferral of reward. A good strategy to have successful children, is to marry a successful man. Marrying a dumb, lazy and impulsive man may not result in the most successful children.

The problem is that high-earning women delay marriage, and that by the time they're looking successful men are already taken, it's harder for a woman to date significantly younger. A man who wants marriage and a family can date/marry younger and wait for baby fever. A woman should only wait so long, and it's less likely the man will develop baby fever. At a certain point expectations have to be adjusted or the chance of a good marriage just keeps going down.

or we could all do what we are supposed to do: Ask God about whom to marry? If you fall in love (whatever that means), you should ask yourself questions like: Can I put up with--------- for the rest of my life? Does God want me to put up with it?

and i have been doing that for some time.

Is it surprising that I am not married and probably never will be? I can be miserable all by myself, thank you

plus, I don't think anyone could put up with certain faults of mine either.. they may SAY they can but.. we know how that goes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:58 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: None
flyingaway wrote:
WorBlux wrote:
flyingaway wrote:

or we could all do what we are supposed to do: Ask God about whom to marry? If you fall in love (whatever that means), you should ask yourself questions like: Can I put up with--------- for the rest of my life? Does God want me to put up with it?

and i have been doing that for some time.

Is it surprising that I am not married and probably never will be? I can be miserable all by myself, thank you

plus, I don't think anyone could put up with certain faults of mine either.. they may SAY they can but.. we know how that goes

Marriage is not just committing to a companion, but also committing to a co-parent. Genetics and wealth isn't irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
flyingaway wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

that's interesting. generally, it is usually the man who wants to make more or cares more about that kind of thing

anyway, it is troubling that young people today are waiting much longer to get married, but then again, maybe not because marriage is a very serious thing. I myself can't imagine spending the rest of my life with someone unless that person is just... not perfect but perfect for me, whatever that may entail

I've always been unusual. ::):

I have always had little emotional attachment to money. I guess I think about money strategically. I pay the bills and make the financial decisions, mostly because I am good at it.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
For men: no money, no honey. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Why did Mary marry St. Joseph?

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ntail
Quote:
I've always been unusual. ::):

I have always had little emotional attachment to money. I guess I think about money strategically. I pay the bills and make the financial decisions, mostly because I am good at it.

can you elaborate on Scalia and that Burwell case?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

St. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote:
For men: no money, no honey. :cry:

makes women look like prostitutes