Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Highlander wrote:
Frankly, my musical tradition and the one of this song are very, very different. So, I found it hard to consider it beautiful.

However, since you do ... consider it so, I watched it again. I first noted that the visuals are quite lovely. Then, as I paired the visuals with the song, I found that it grew on me. I began to hear the melody. And, by the end of the second hearing, I would agree that it evokes a pleasant reaction. And that it is enjoyable. I liked it.

Further reflection makes me wonder how my favorite songs would be heard by those with quite different musical traditions. Some, I have no doubt, would not be well received. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGMCSCFoKA

Thank you for sharing it.

Good Grief!!!!

The kid posts a romantic song which is pretty and you give him.............

MEATLOAF????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What is WRONG WITH YOU???? :nooo: :nooo: :nooo:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:40 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Jack3 wrote:
Doom wrote:
<beauty is objective>

1. Some think women with long straight hair are beautiful, others like the appearance of women with curly hair.
2. Is beauty in taste or sound (food or music) objective?

Everything that is, insofar as it is, is beautiful. :fyi:

Nevertheless, our access to beauty is principally through eye and ear, and not through taste or touch or smell. Hence it is not usual to speak of flavors as beautiful. The reason for this can be seen in Francis Kovach's definition: material beauty is the integral unity of a multitude or variety of proportionate parts. (This is an account, note, of material beauty and so wouldn't apply to, say, the Divine beauty. Kovach is well aware of this, and offers a metaphysical account of beauty that is universally applicable, but that's not relevant to our concerns in this thread.) But the grasp of integral unity is necessarily an intellectual grasp, and the senses closest to the intellect are sight and hearing. The others are much more closely tied to materiality and hence less intellectual. So while one could bicker over whether a taste could be beautiful, I simply note here that the Catholic intellectual tradition says that no, it cannot.

The standard objection to objectivism about beauty is the argument from disagreement, which is, of course, also the standard objection to objectivism about morality. In other words, unless you're tempted to relativism about morals, you certainly should not be tempted to relativism about beauty. The two are in the same boat.

That's not a rebuttal to the argument from disagreement, it's just a point that I would assume would be definitive for Catholics.

So why is there so much aesthetic disagreement? I'm glad you asked. Kovach actually has a chapter on this that presents 36 reasons for aesthetic disagreement. (He also has chapters doing lots of other stuff, such as, importantly, presenting a direct argument to establish the truth of aesthetic objectivism.) Philosophically-inclined people with a little time on their hands and an interest in beauty would be well-advised to get ahold of the book. http://www.oupress.com/books/12076001/p ... -of-beauty

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLeWsCSAPe4

My mother's favourite song.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Forever Young by Joan Baez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U89Qtbnk-Q4

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3