Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 43 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: If Protestants went by the bible, they'd be Catholic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:57 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Ec2 wrote:

[quote]“How do I receive the grace of God?” The fact that this question was the driving force of his whole life never ceases to make an impression on me."
...Pope Benedict XVI

"What constantly exercised him (Luther) was the question of God, the deep passion and driving force of his whole life’s journey. “How do I receive the grace of God?”: this question struck him in the heart and lay at the foundation of all his theological searching and inner struggle. For him theology was no mere academic pursuit, but the struggle for oneself, which in turn was a struggle for and with God.The question: what is God’s position towards me, where do I stand before God? – this burning question of Martin Luther must once more, doubtless in a new form, become our question too."
...Pope Benedict XVI/quote]

Just to add a little context to that here is what Pope Benedict had to say on "Faith Alone":

Being “just” simply means being with Christ and in Christ. And this suffices. Further observances are no longer necessary. For this reason Luther’s phrase: “faith alone” is true, if it is not opposed to faith in charity, in love. Faith is looking at Christ, entrusting oneself to Christ, being united to Christ, conformed to Christ, to his life. And the form, the life of Christ, is love; hence to believe is to conform to Christ and to enter into his love. So it is that in the Letter to the Galatians in which he primarily developed his teaching on justification St Paul speaks of faith that works through love

– Pope Benedict XVI, Wednesday Audience, 19th November 2008

doesn't strike me as any kind of endorsement of Luther to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
Quote:

Being “just” simply means being with Christ and in Christ. And this suffices. Further observances are no longer necessary. For this reason Luther’s phrase: “faith alone” is true, if it is not opposed to faith in charity, in love. Faith is looking at Christ, entrusting oneself to Christ, being united to Christ, conformed to Christ, to his life. And the form, the life of Christ, is love; hence to believe is to conform to Christ and to enter into his love. So it is that in the Letter to the Galatians in which he primarily developed his teaching on justification St Paul speaks of faith that works through love

– Pope Benedict XVI, Wednesday Audience, 19th November 2008

doesn't strike me as any kind of endorsement of Luther to me.

I don't agree w/ what Pope Benedict said here. It contradicts other Scripture passages and also things written by the saints.

We have to do more than just be in Christ's presence.. If someone in mortal sin goes into Jesus's Presence.. that is a great thing but the mortal sin is still there. He has to have that mortal sin absolved before he can receive Christ at the Mass.. & b4 he c an get to heaven

Jesus set up the Sacrament of Reconciliation/absolution as the norm in forgiving people their sins. If the person repents but, say, has no time to be sacramentally absolved as Christ prescribes through the Church and dies suddenly, he may still get to Heaven (by way of Purgatory) but that doesn't negate how Jesus set up his Church.. & he will likely get through Purgatory a whole lot faster if he is sacramentally absolved.. not sure what the Church teaches on that last thing but that's what I tend to think

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Pope Emeritus Benedict was a Pope and theologian. If I were to disagree with him, I'd have to make a stronger case than that. You do not understand him correctly. In what he says, a state of grace is understood. He has encouraged Confession too.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 43 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3