Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 4   [ 76 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Bishop Barron on Ben Shapiro's show.... Salvation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:56 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Yes, in fact, He does. Those who fall away from Him face the real danger of Hell. He would rather win us over by love, and fear of Hell is not very effective as a long-term motivator (it leads to despair and indifference), but nevertheless it is a reality.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
In my first post about this that fear I'm referring to is "not incompatible with hope, love and joy". I think that clarifies things for you. I am not spending sleepless nights fearing I'll be damned. I can understand how ardent and how sincere your words are. I invite you to understand where I'm coming from too - As I see it, fear is spoken of with approval in the Bible, Catechisms (both the Roman and the CCC) and Liturgies (both Roman and Syro Malabar) [as is joy, hope and love]. Personally, fear works in tandem with other factors to make me a better person.

ETA This post is addressed to theJack. Fr Kenobi's post came before this because I was taking time to articulate myself.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Unbalanced fear of God leads to scrupulosity; an imbalance in the other direction leads to presumption. Both are serious spiritual ills.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

One of the versions of the Act of Contrition goes like this:

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all of my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all because they have offended Thee, my God, Who are all good and worthy of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.

The first and lower motive for sorrow is the fear of punishment (some versions say "because of Thy just punishments"). This is known as "imperfect contrition" or "attrition," and God accepts sorrow on that basis. The second motive is sorrow for having offended someone we love, which is known as "perfect contrition." Perfect contrition is desirable, and I recall having read (but cannot document at the moment) that the Scholastics believed that the Sacrament of Confession elevated attrition into contrition.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
that's my favorite Act of Contrition :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

The official Malayalam act of contrition is similar; it ends with an additional sentence "I am prepared to die than to sin again".

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:23 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Unbalanced fear of God leads to scrupulosity; an imbalance in the other direction leads to presumption. Both are serious spiritual ills.

Of course, it isn't presumptuous to believe exactly what God has promised. Indeed, it is faithlessness--apisteuo, the thing Jesus rebuked Thomas for. You say, I know, that God has not promised eternal life to those who have believed. To be fair, you use that language of your beliefs. You must, because that is the language of Scripture, of our Lord Himself. But as we have discussed many and many more times, you add condition upon condition that Jesus Himself did not add. And then, in adding these conditions, you encourage others to live in fear and tell them it is the sin of presumption to presume to, at least in my understanding of His words, to believe Jesus.

It is not an unbalanced fear that leads to scrupulosity. It is illegitimate fear that leads to scrupulosity. It is not an imbalance in the other direction that leads to presumption. It is claiming that God's children, though His children, are not subject to His loving discipline.

Jack3, once or twice a year I can't help myself and I end up making a post like this. And I suppose I'm getting it out of the way early this one. I meant what I said previously. I have absolutely no doubt about your sincerity or love of Christ. I don't know and wouldn't presume (pardon the pun) to comment on your existential state. I only say to you that I truly hope that, contrary to Obi's words (regardless of whatever his meaning) that you don't live in fear of our Father and of our Savior. I hope that you find yourself living in His grace, in His freedom, in the boundless joy of His unmerited favor. I hope you come to experience that such grace does not lead to presumption but motivates service. We love, after all, because He loved us; the more we see that love, that forgiveness, that absolutely free and unmerited forgiveness, the more greatly we love. All things you know, I know. I only hope you come to know them more deeply. I know Obi would pray the same for you as well, even if he would encourage you to know them from a different doctrinal perspective.

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:26 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
But as we have discussed many and many more times, you add condition upon condition that Jesus Himself did not add. And then, in adding these conditions, you encourage others to live in fear and tell them it is the sin of presumption to presume to, at least in my understanding of His words, to believe Jesus.

And I, of course, would say that you omit things that Jesus most definitely did include. But, since (to your chagrin, I know) I dislike combative apologetics, I will leave it there.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 pm 
Adept
Adept

"Truly, truly, I say to you: whoever believes in Me has everlasting life."

Notice the period.

I don't care what other verses you bring in to have Jesus contradict Himself here. The logic is flawless. All A is B. You don't get to bring in other evidence that some A is not, in fact, B. ALL believers have everlasting life. ALL. ALL. And the life they HAVE -- not will have or might have or hope to have, but HAVE in the present moment -- is everlasting. It's not ten year life or ten minute life. It's everlasting, and if I have life in one moment and ten minutes later lose that life, then clearly I wasn't alive everlastingly, now was I?

It shouldn't be to my chagrin that you don't like these sorts of apologetics. It should be to the chagrin of those who believe as you do. This is the main argument I've made for years. You can dodge it all you like and raise other verses--you can say, "BUT WHAT ABOUT?!?!?!" all you like. The absolutely irrefutable fact is Jesus' promise that all who believe have everlasting life. You're conditions . . . He doesn't consider them. Not there.

Now, I believe. I have everlasting life. I therefore have no fear of Hell. You accuse me of presumption. I accuse you of faithlessness and disloyalty. I don't accuse you of being hellbound, so let's not pretend I'm making claims I'm not.

It is a shame you don't discuss these things . . . if you believe as strongly as you say I'm wrong, you do have a call to defend the flock. Banning is always an option, as is deleting posts like this. Or you could make your case so others see why you think we shouldn't believe Jesus' words as we actually have them.

And yes, I know I'm baiting you. I truly wish you would address this. After almost nine years, I figure eventually we'll finally get around to it.

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:18 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Fear of God is a gift of the Holy Spirit, and the beginning of knowledge. In the parable of the widow and the unjust judge, fear of God is placed on par with regard for man. As I have already said, as I see it, fear is spoken of with approval in the Bible, Catechisms (both the Roman and the CCC) and Liturgies (both Roman and Syro Malabar). I'll add spiritual-devotional literature, eg Introduction to Devout Life. For salvation we find Jesus speaking about Baptism, Eucharist, corporal works of mercy, wealth, etc. I believe the Catholic Church; I will go to Heaven if I die in a state of grace. I trust in the mercy of God. From what I have said in my previous posts it should be evident that you need not have fear (pardon the pun) about my life. Warm regards.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:25 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I would agree that all who possess sanctifying grace possess everlasting life (since as the great theologians and Fathers say, grace is the seed of glory). However, we can lose sanctifying grace through rejecting it in mortal sin. And I think this is very much included both in the Gospels and in the epistles (especially the letters of St. Paul and St. James).

ETA: In other words, I don't see how the words of Christ which theJack quoted are at all incompatible that someone who currently believes could still go to Hell.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
theJack wrote:
"Fear not, for I am with you." And, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" I, for one, have absolutely no fear of Hell. I remember when I did. But God's perfect love cast that out when I stopped looking to my own works but solely and only on those of Him who justifies the ungodly. Fear . . . That's a yoke I wouldn't want to be back under again.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Proverbs 9:10a)

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:50 pm 
Adept
Adept

ThomisticCajunAggie wrote:
I would agree that all who possess sanctifying grace possess everlasting life (since as the great theologians and Fathers say, grace is the seed of glory). However, we can lose sanctifying grace through rejecting it in mortal sin. And I think this is very much included both in the Gospels and in the epistles (especially the letters of St. Paul and St. James).

ETA: In other words, I don't see how the words of Christ which theJack quoted are at all incompatible that someone who currently believes could still go to Hell.

Yes, thank you for the reminder. I've heard here a time or two now that you mention it the belief that there are actually people who have eternal life who will still be condemned to the second death. Living people in who are dead. I'm sorry if I don't find that a persuasive proposition.

Peregrinator wrote:
theJack wrote:
"Fear not, for I am with you." And, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" I, for one, have absolutely no fear of Hell. I remember when I did. But God's perfect love cast that out when I stopped looking to my own works but solely and only on those of Him who justifies the ungodly. Fear . . . That's a yoke I wouldn't want to be back under again.

Fear of the Lord. Not fear of Hell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:40 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Peregrinator wrote:
theJack wrote:

speaking for myself Fear of God ALWAYS means Fear of Hell (contrary to one poster here). As the Word tells us, it is HE who has power over us after death...

and many of us hang onto our sinfulness even as we try to let go of it... we make massive excuses for this and that sin.. but we cannot do that endlessly & expect to get to Heaven.. Heaven I am sure.. is a very very different place than this awful earth --and most of us are more/less comfortable here...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
flyingaway wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
theJack wrote:

speaking for myself Fear of God ALWAYS means Fear of Hell (contrary to one poster here). As the Word tells us, it is HE who has power over us after death...

and many of us hang onto our sinfulness even as we try to let go of it... we make massive excuses for this and that sin.. but we cannot do that endlessly & expect to get to Heaven.. Heaven I am sure.. is a very very different place than this awful earth --and most of us are more/less comfortable here...

Do you expect to get to get to Heaven, flyingaway?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

St Thomas on fear: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3019.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 4   [ 76 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4