Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 72 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: commit adultery 20 times in 1 day, still go 2 Heaven?!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:00 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
that is what Luther said

and now 500 yrs removed from Luther, Protestants still believe this once saved always saved nonsense.

I'm sorry, but I know a stupid belief when I see it.

I hve read the whole Bible.. and read and heard it at daily Mass for countless years

so they can't fool me.. But of course, even those who can't say they have read that much of the Word have common sense enough to know that this osas stuff is massively bogus.

in any case, people believe. Society in general believes it.. you can tell by how many people live their lives that they beleive this rot. I mean, people act like God just isn't going to punish them. I have no idea why t hey think that.

some sins like fornication are somewhat understandable because at least w/ those sins, there is presumably some "love" involved albeit misguided love

but sins like.. sorry, but I can't help thinking of that illegal who killed that police officer and the criminal-minded family & friends who protected him on his way back to the border. (BTW: is there a death penalty in Mexico? But if he had made it, would he have been extradicted? )

anyway.. we Christians need to remind people that Jesus said FEW get to Heaven.. and of course if you read the New T carefully you see that He said few CHRISTIANS. I will try to find those passages

Post subject: Re: commit adultery 20 times in 1 day, still go 2 Heaven?!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:16 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
You do know that not all Protestants believe in anything even approximating OSAS?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:21 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
flyingaway wrote:
anyway.. we Christians need to remind people that Jesus said FEW get to Heaven.. and of course if you read the New T carefully you see that He said few CHRISTIANS. I will try to find those passages

If you actually believe that few Christians get to heaven, you must be in constant fear and trembling that you might not be one of the few. Such a contradiction with the teachings of love, mercy, compassion. Can you imagine if all but a few people truly believed they were almost certainly going to hell for ever? Nobody would ever laugh or smile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:58 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
He's using that word again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
You do know that not all Protestants believe in anything even approximating OSAS?

yes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:27 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Denise Dee wrote:
flyingaway wrote:

If you actually believe that few Christians get to heaven, you must be in constant fear and trembling that you might not be one of the few. Such a contradiction with the teachings of love, mercy, compassion. Can you imagine if all but a few people truly believed they were almost certainly going to hell for ever? Nobody would ever laugh or smile.

well, we can't have a lack of laughing and smiling, can we?

when did Jesus ever say

laugh and smile and cover your own sins with mercy even though God hates sin.. even though God is absolutely holy and there isn't a smidgen of sin in Heaven or even a desire for it

Jesus said FEW find the narrow way and He said few Christians (Lk 13:24, Mt 13-21 and etc)

"We ate and drank in your Presence, you taught in our streets" and what does Jesus say in reply

"Depart from me, you evildoers"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That doesn't say "Christians." That refers to people who heard Him and didn't follow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:13 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
That doesn't say "Christians." That refers to people who heard Him and didn't follow.

not so

those who do not follow him do not go where his presence is

and there are other psgs that speak of.. w ell, there is one that says something like this

"We did mighty deeds in Your name"

and same thing, Jesus says "Depart from me, you evil doers"

maybe they just did mighty deeds when they dang well felt like it.. Sunday Christians? God knows but this is a scary psg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:24 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think you're doing some eisegesis here. I'm not agreeing with Denise; I just don't think the passages you're citing do what you want them to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:35 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I think you're doing some eisegesis here. I'm not agreeing with Denise; I just don't think the passages you're citing do what you want them to do.

What are you not agreeing with, Obi?

Catechism 1821
We can therefore hope in the glory of heaven promised by God to those who love him and do his will. In every circumstance, each one of us should hope, with the grace of God, to persevere "to the end" and to obtain the joy of heaven, as God's eternal reward for the good works accomplished with the grace of Christ. In hope, the Church prays for "all men to be saved."

How can you hope and pray for all to be saved if you believe that most Christians won't be saved?

And if God is that harsh, how can you have much hope that he won't judge you as harshly as he judges the majority of Christians? How can such beliefs not cause deep despair which in itself is a sin, if I remember correctly?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:53 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sorry, not getting in that discussion right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:17 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Re: op I think that moral laxity is not so much from subscribing to a particular erroneous notion about salvation as much as from not thinking about the last things at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:46 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Do you really think that saying that something is 'a stupid belief' is the kind of compelling argument that will lead anyone to change his mind?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The idea that most Christians will not be saved is likely true, in so much if what you consider to be a "Christian" is someone who is validly baptized. Especially in the Catholic Church where many see baptism as some sort of magic potion. Now, before some of you cry fowl, of course I don't think any of you here believe that, but I bet you all know many parents who get their kids baptized, confirmed and then raise "Chreasters."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

To be fair to Luther here, I believe his tongue was firmly planted in cheek.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I don’t pretend to be the most knowledgeable person in this forum, but I feel confident in making a guess as to what caused the demise of our hypothetical subject. Twenty times in one day?!? :shock:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Denise Dee wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

What are you not agreeing with, Obi?

Catechism 1821
We can therefore hope in the glory of heaven promised by God to those who love him and do his will. In every circumstance, each one of us should hope, with the grace of God, to persevere "to the end" and to obtain the joy of heaven, as God's eternal reward for the good works accomplished with the grace of Christ. In hope, the Church prays for "all men to be saved."

How can you hope and pray for all to be saved if you believe that most Christians won't be saved?

And if God is that harsh, how can you have much hope that he won't judge you as harshly as he judges the majority of Christians? How can such beliefs not cause deep despair which in itself is a sin, if I remember correctly?

for one thing, you assume too much when you say (I will copy/paste it here) How can you hope and pray for all to be saved if you believe that most Christians won't be saved?

makes no sense. Maybe you just want to accuse me of being.. whatever? God knows

you don't beleive a person can be damned but then someone prays for him/her and the person gets on the right track? That is the reason we pray. I never said that those on their way to hell STAY there.. never remotely implied it.

and I do feel God "judges me harshly".. In the Bible, which i have read (the whole thing, many parts over and over) we are told God is a "tough taskmaster." Anyone who has tried to diligently follow Jesus knows that it is not easy.

I am not saying that followers of Jesus do good works and if they fail in such.. they will be tossed into Hell, should they die before correcting themselves.. never said anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:46 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I don’t pretend to be the most knowledgeable person in this forum, but I feel confident in making a guess as to what caused the demise of our hypothetical subject. Twenty times in one day?!? :shock:

i don't r eally understand what you are getting out. But essentially Luther taught that no matter what sin, even mortal sin (obviously.. adultery)we commit after 'being saved' we will still go to Heaven. That is heresy and blashphemy. Jesus said "Go and sin no more"

he never said to embrace our sins, as luther basically did.. not even CLOSE

I was once in the Real Presence Exposed (you trust such a Presence, don't you?) and it seems the Lord was telling me that if a p erson commits a certain sin over and over, even though he keeps repenting of it, at some point, his repentance will not do any good because he has seriously damaged himself.. his soul.

That was a very scary moment and I canot prove this was Jesus. It could have been the Enemy but I was shown also that.. I was shown just how certain sins damage us.. no small damage either..

so I don't know.. but I don't think we should take chances with such things.. Sin DOES alter us for the w orst

for whatever it is worth, it did not seem like Satan showing me these things, but I won't say it was or was not.. only God knows

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Do you really think that saying that something is 'a stupid belief' is the kind of compelling argument that will lead anyone to change his mind?

it seems to work for Trump

:)

reporter asks question (wish I could remember it)

Trump says

Stupid question

laugh

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 72 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next