Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cultural Marxism
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:52 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
I never really knew what was meant by the term. I have been reading a lot of Marx, Engels and other A list Marxist communists such as Lenin, Luxemburg and Guevara. I notice that most that are accused of cultural Marxism are not communistic, but rather quite neo-liberal capitalist in economic thought.

So, would cultural Marxism be a reference to the historical revisionism and the destruction of Western culture that Marx and his ists preach separated from the economic teaching?

Post subject: Re: Cultural Marxism
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:58 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
It reminds me of a comment made recently about Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, calling her a "Neiman-Marxist."

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:34 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
It reminds me of a comment made recently about Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, calling her a "Neiman-Marxist."

:laughhard :laughhard

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:15 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
We live in a stew of cultural Marxism and have since, roughly, 1968. Or so I hold.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

"Cultural Marxism" is a pejorative term applied to the observation that conservative critics have made against postmodernist ideology specifically found in the French school of philosophy stemming from Derrida and Foucault.

As Marx believed that there's nothing but the pursuit of material things, Derrida and Foucault believed(following Hobbes) that there is nothing but the pursuit of power. Therefore these two philosophers took Marx's economic determinism and dialectical materialism and in a slight-of-hand posited rather a determinism based on power, and a dialectic based on tribal/ethnic/race/sex/politics.

Instead of Marx's bourgeoisie v proletariat you now have the oppressor v oppressed narrative.

Everything else, including Critical Race theory and Intersectionality, the new Gender Theory, all stems from this odd combination that shouldn't go together at all, but it's been made to by it's proponents.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 am 
There Can Be Only One

Very well said.

I would add that, recently, the old, tried and failed, strain of classical economic Marxism has again risen, like the Phoenix, to incinerate us all. I hold that classical Marxism has been reborn in the childbed of cultural Marxism.

I also hold, as an observation, that the failures inherent in both economic and cultural Marxism inexorably march to the political Marxism that unfolded with Lenin and Stalin. Since Marxism is so antithetical to the social and economic and democratic practices of a functioning society, then when its failures begin to destroy every element of that society, totalitarian practice is the only recourse. For the greater good.

Don't cry for me, Venezuela.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
It reminds me of a comment made recently about Alexandra Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, calling her a "Neiman-Marxist."

FTFY

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite