Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How do you evangelize (which you have to do to get 2 Heaven)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:01 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I have ptsd and some other concerns so I usually evangelize anonymously. However, sometimes I am confronted w/ a person and have to explain Catholicism face to face, which I don't usually mind, except that I live in a very Protestant area and do not like "arguing."

I am just wondering how other Catholics evangelize. It doesn't seem that many Catholics even do that? But I "don't get around much" so... how would I know? But the Catholics i have know over the years.. they seem (key word there) to only want to go to mass and... well, Catholics aren't usually up in a person's face like those Are you Saved people...

:)

The Catechism says that you jeopardize your salvation when you don't evangelize

Post subject: Re: How do you evangelize (which you have to do to get 2 Hea
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

because most Catholics do not "evangelize" (or not often anyway), the world is becoming less and less Catholic.. which means more and more LAWLESS and IMMORAL

I'm sorry but a lot of "Catholics" I know are just plain lazy about this obligation they have to evangelize. I have been trying to get someone to help me do that for quite some time.. guess I can also admit haven't tried lately.. but maybe because I know it is a hopeless endeavor

but I find ways to do it anyway..

If you ever wonder why crime in your neighborhood is up
young people have so little respect for older people.. or anyone for that matter
why things seem more important than human beings..

etc... etc

you can blame it on Catholics not trying to make the world more Catholic..

very few Catholics (another problem) spend time in Christ's Presence.. I mean, it's no wonder the Church seems to have been taken over by the enemy (a priest recently told me that the biggest problem in the Catholic Church is Catholics... didn't really get that at the time I heard it but do now...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:10 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
flyingaway wrote:
I have ptsd and some other concerns so I usually evangelize anonymously. However, sometimes I am confronted w/ a person and have to explain Catholicism face to face, which I don't usually mind, except that I live in a very Protestant area and do not like "arguing."

I am just wondering how other Catholics evangelize. It doesn't seem that many Catholics even do that? But I "don't get around much" so... how would I know? But the Catholics i have know over the years.. they seem (key word there) to only want to go to mass and... well, Catholics aren't usually up in a person's face like those Are you Saved people...

The way that Christ commanded of lay persons:

Let your light so shine before men that they see your good works and glorify your father in heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:37 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

kage_ar wrote:
flyingaway wrote:

Let your light so shine before men that they see your good works and glorify your father in heaven.

Jesus said to preach the gospel to every creature

Are Catholics exempt from that? you'd think that that is what they think (some)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:52 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
flyingaway wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
flyingaway wrote:

Who was present when Christ gave the Great Commission? This was given to the 11 Apostles, as the leaders of the Church. The Church was so commissioned.

There are certain offices, Apostles (Bishops), Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers that are filled as the Church.

Me as a lay Catholic, I was commanded to let my light so shine before men that they see my good works and glorify my Father in heaven. My life IS my evangelization.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Quote:
AD 41. Laymen cooperate in the Church's work of evangelization; as witnesses and at the same time as living instruments, they share in her saving mission;(10) especially if they have been called by God and have been accepted by the bishop for this work.

In those lands which are already Christian, laymen cooperate in the work of evangelization by nurturing in themselves and in others a knowledge and love of the missions; by stimulating vocations in their own family, in Catholic associations, and in the schools; by offering subsidies of every kind, that they may offer to others that gift of Faith which they have received gratis.

But in mission lands, let laymen, whether foreigners or autochthonous, teach in schools, administer temporal goods cooperate in parish and diocesan activities, and organize and promote various forms of the lay apostolate, in order that the faithful of the young churches may be able to take part as soon as possible in the life of the Church.(11)

Lastly, let laymen gladly offer socio - economic cooperation to peoples on the way of development. This cooperation is all the more to be praised, the more it concerns itself with founding institutes which touch on the basic structures of social life, or which are oriented to the training of those who bear the responsibility for the government.

Worthy of special praise are those laymen who, in universities or in scientific institutes, promote by their historical and scientific religious research the knowledge of peoples and of religions; thus helping the heralds of the Gospel, and preparing for the dialogue with non - Chistians.

They should cooperate in a brotherly spirit with other Christians, with non - Christians, and with members of international organizations, aways having before their eyes the fact that "the building up of the earthly city should have its foundation in the Lord, and should be directed towards Him."(12)

To be equal to all these tasks, laymen need the necessary technical and spiritual preparation, which should be given in institutes destined for this; so that their lives may be a witness for Christ among non - Christians, according to the words of the Apostle: "Do not be a stumbling - block to Jews and Greeks and to the Church of God, even as I myself in all things please all men, not seeking what is profitable to myself but to the many, that they may be saved." (1 Cor. 10:32-33).

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I've heard good things about How Not To Share Your Faith.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:

One of the patron saints of missions is St Therese of Liseux. How did she evangelize?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:32 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Saint Paul clearly teaches that not everyone is called to evangelize.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:
Me as a lay Catholic, I was commanded to let my light so shine before men that they see my good works and glorify my Father in heaven. My life IS my evangelization.

what if no one knows anything about your life? I myself tend to be a private person who doesn't like to share a lot about myself (what I do on such and such day.. how I do it, etc). some people know that I got to Mass but that's about all they know. When i evangelize, I do it anonymously so they don't know about that. I am not a very sociable creature, although i do like socializing with certain like-minded people.

most people live lives that don't really "say much" to others. I mean, w hen a husband talks to his w ife (or refuses to?) and interacts w/ his children... well, yeh, sometimes people see a glimpse of that but.. it is what goes on when no one is looking that shows who you really are..

and besides, as far as the great commission and how that was addressed to the 12.. well, it doesn't look like the bishops and priests are doing a heckofa job of that either. but someone has to

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Saint Paul clearly teaches that not everyone is called to evangelize.

well, that's ironic coming from the greatest of all evangelizers.. and i don't recall him saying that.. have read the entire New T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
St. Paul wrote:
Some he has appointed to be apostles, others to be prophets, others to be evangelists, or pastors, or teachers.

- Ephesians 4:11

[That's almost certainly the passage Doom was thinking of, though I welcome the correction if I'm wrong.] This is clearly saying that some - but not all - are called to be evangelists (in the sense of explicit evangelization as opposed to evangelizing by our lives).

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:08 pm 
King of Cool

ThomisticCajunAggie wrote:
St. Paul wrote:
Some he has appointed to be apostles, others to be prophets, others to be evangelists, or pastors, or teachers.

- Ephesians 4:11

[That's almost certainly the passage Doom was thinking of, though I welcome the correction if I'm wrong.] This is clearly saying that some - but not all - are called to be evangelists (in the sense of explicit evangelization as opposed to evangelizing by our lives).

That's another good one, but what I was primarily thinking of was Romans 10:14-15

"14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Sent by whom? It doesn't say 'unless someone takes it upon himself under his own volition to preach', he says 'sent', which means that there is some third party that (i.e. the Church) that is responsible for commissioning certain individuals to preach.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Quote:

Sent by whom? It doesn't say 'unless someone takes it upon himself under his own volition to preach', he says 'sent', which means that there is some third party that (i.e. the Church) that is responsible for commissioning certain individuals to preach.

well, we dont w ant to sound like Protestants, do we? They are always quoting the Bible as though that is all we have to d o is reference Scripture

the Church teaches that we have to evangelize. I refer to the traditional Church.. God knows what is going on in the modern one.. hate to think about such things, always ends up making for a rather bad day when I do that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Do contemplative nuns evangelize? Are they bound to? Is seclusion, which in this form was commended by the traditional Church, a hurdle to evangelization?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

flyingaway wrote:
Quote:

well, we dont w ant to sound like Protestants, do we? They are always quoting the Bible as though that is all we have to d o is reference Scripture

the Church teaches that we have to evangelize. I refer to the traditional Church.. God knows what is going on in the modern one.. hate to think about such things, always ends up making for a rather bad day when I do that

Where does "the traditional Church" teach this?

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 pm 
King of Cool

flyingaway wrote:
well, we don't want to sound like Protestants, do we? They are always quoting the Bible as though that is all we have to do is reference Scripture

Aren't you moving the goalposts here? I said that St. Paul clearly teaches that not everyone is called to evangelize, you asked me to prove it, I did, and you respond by saying that quoting the scriptures makes me 'sound Protestant.'

You also haven't acknowledged or responded to several other rebuttals of your thesis, such as the example of cloistered religious orders. How do members of cloistered religious orders evangelize?

I proved my position, now it is time for you to prove yours: prove that 'the traditional Church' (whatever that is) taught that every single person evangelize or they will go to hell. Cite one document that proves that claim.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
flyingaway wrote:

:scratch:

flyingaway wrote:

Indeed, the Lord Jesus, when He prayed to the Father, "that all may be one. . . as we are one" (John 17:21-22) opened up vistas closed to human reason, for He implied a certain likeness between the union of the divine Persons, and the unity of God's sons in truth and charity. This likeness reveals that man, who is the only creature on earth which God willed for itself, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself. ~ Pope Paul VI, Gaudium et Spes 24.3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:08 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

"Be always ready to give an answer to those who ask the reason for the hope that lies w/in you..."

Those type of questions are usually asked when you let your light shine before men...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

flyingaway wrote:
Quote:

The "traditional Church" on Scripture:

PD 3. Among the reasons for which the Holy Scripture is so worthy of commendation - in addition to its own excellence and to the homage which we owe to God's Word - the chief of all is, the innumerable benefits of which it is the source; according to the infallible testimony of the Holy Ghost Himself, who says: "All Scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice, that the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work."(6) That such was the purpose of God in giving the Scripture of men is shown by the example of Christ our Lord and of His Apostles. For He Himself Who "obtained authority by miracles, merited belief by authority, and by belief drew to Himself the multitude"(7) was accustomed in the exercise of His Divine Mission, to appeal to the Scriptures. He uses them at times to prove that He is sent by God, and is God Himself. From them He cites instructions for His disciples and confirmation of His doctrine. He vindicates them from the calumnies of objectors; he quotes them against Sadducees and Pharisees, and retorts from them upon Satan himself when he dares to tempt Him. At the close of His life His utterances are from Holy Scripture, and it is the Scripture that He expounds to His disciples after His resurrection, until He ascends to the glory of His Father. Faithful to His precepts, the Apostles, although He Himself granted "signs and wonders to be done by their hands"(8) nevertheless used with the greatest effect the sacred writings, in order to persuade the nations everywhere of the wisdom of Christianity, to conquer the obstinacy of the Jews, and to suppress the outbreak of heresy. This is plainly seen in their discourses, especially in those of St. Peter: these were often little less than a series of citations from the Old Testament supporting in the strongest manner the new dispensation. We find the same thing in the Gospels of St. Matthew and St. John and in the Catholic Epistles; and most remarkably of all in the words of him who "boasts that he learned the law at the feet of Gamaliel, in order that, being armed with spiritual weapons, he might afterwards say with confidence, `The arms of our warfare are not carnal but mighty unto God.' "(9) Let all, therefore, especially the novices of the ecclesiastical army, understand how deeply the sacred Books should be esteemed, and with what eagerness and reverence they should approach this great arsenal of heavenly arms. For those whose duty it is to handle Catholic doctrine before the learned or the unlearned will nowhere find more ample matter or more abundant exhortation, whether on the subject of God, the supreme Good and the all-perfect Being, or of the works which display His Glory and His love. Nowhere is there anything more full or more express on the subject of the Saviour of the world than is to be found in the whole range of the Bible. As St. Jerome says, "To be ignorant of the Scripture is not to know Christ."(10) In its pages His Image stands out, living and breathing; diffusing everywhere around consolation in trouble, encouragement to virtue and attraction to the love of God. And as to the Church, her institutions, her nature, her office, and her gifts, we find in Holy Scripture so many references and so many ready and convincing arguments, that as St. Jerome again most truly says: "A man who is well grounded in the testimonies of the Scripture is the bulwark of the Church."(11)And if we come to morality and discipline, an apostolic man finds in the sacred writings abundant and excellent assistance; most holy precepts, gentle and strong exhortation, splendid examples of every virtue, and finally the promise of eternal reward and the threat of eternal punishment uttered in terms of solemn import, in God's name and in God's own words.
Pope Leo XIII

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next