Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 8   [ 152 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trinity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
i figured gkc might appreciate that one more :wink:

:clap: :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:04 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
:thumbsup: :sunny:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:16 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The OP has left the building. There's a reason I (and everyone else) ignored gherkin's "nm," and that reason is that there was a real discussion still in progress. Since the OP deleted his posts, there's no longer anything to talk about.

Then leave the thread. Is that so hard? Why does everyone have to stick around?

I think there should be a board rule that post padding should be restricted to The Pub and forbidden in the 'serious' forums.

I don't understand the appeal of this kind of 'discussion' at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:24 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Jack3 wrote:

I see you've made that point several times, but I respectfully disagree.

Imagine you are researching a topic, find a thread on this board that seems promising, and then when you look at it, you find that it is mostly post padding. Do you think you will stick around, or will you just go to a different forum? I can tell you flat out, I would absolutely do the latter.

In fact, I do the latter on this very forum several times a week, look at a thread with a promising title, see that it is mostly post padding, and go somewhere else, never to revisit that thread again.

I would love an alternative explanation for the vast decrease in traffic to this board over the last several years. There was a time when we got thousands of posts a day, you could create a thread at 8 AM, and then return after work at 5 PM and see that it was already on the fifth or sixth page due to all the new threads that were created in the interim. Now, it often takes weeks for a thread to fall to the second page. What is the reason for the decrease in traffic if I'm wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:47 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

among others :fyi:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:31 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Doom wrote:
I would love an alternative explanation for the vast decrease in traffic to this board over the last several years. There was a time when we got thousands of posts a day, you could create a thread at 8 AM, and then return after work at 5 PM and see that it was already on the fifth or sixth page due to all the new threads that were created in the interim. Now, it often takes weeks for a thread to fall to the second page. What is the reason for the decrease in traffic if I'm wrong?

As already noted, very few people use discussion boards anymore. It's old internet. It's not any more complicated than a change in technology.

As far as forbidding post padding, that would only further kill the forum. People are here as much for the community as they are for answers to theological and philosophical questions. And as silly as post-padding is, the whole point is that it is silly. It's play, and people bond around play. Yes, even in serious topics. Just because you don't, or do so rarely, or only in certain parts of the forum, doesn't make that the norm. As has been said before, I, for one, am glad that the mods here don't have everything on lockdown. That would make this place stale and boring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:26 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
faithfulservant wrote:

among others :fyi:

Including Reddit with major subreddits for a variety of Catholic topics and Catholicism in general.

Not yo mention that Reddit allows you yo be involved in dozens of non-Catholic interest forums as well all in one place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I concur with fs and theJack.

But to fs: At least in my class, the facebook fad was a few years ago. It's Insta now.

Siggy once attributed the loss of members to the blogging mania in the early 2000s.

Speaking for myself, I don't see a long thread and think, "wow, let me read serious discussion". More often than not, the topic will have slowly drifted away, the thread stooped down to vitriol, or the same old same old being rehashed. For extended serious discussion, we have books!

All seriousness aside, newbies are scared away by gherkin, hence he should be banned.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:38 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I agree with Jack3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:08 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I agree with Jack3.

Sometimes it's hard not to

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:06 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Jack3 wrote:
But to fs: At least in my class, the facebook fad was a few years ago. It's Insta now.
Which is owned by Facebook.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:14 am 
Master
Master

Closet Catholic wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

Same with snapchat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:46 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Closet Catholic wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

In slang, "facebook facebook, not facebook". :fyi:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

theJack wrote:
Doom wrote:

As already noted, very few people use discussion boards anymore. It's old internet. It's not any more complicated than a change in technology.

As far as forbidding post padding, that would only further kill the forum. People are here as much for the community as they are for answers to theological and philosophical questions. And as silly as post-padding is, the whole point is that it is silly. It's play, and people bond around play. Yes, even in serious topics. Just because you don't, or do so rarely, or only in certain parts of the forum, doesn't make that the norm. As has been said before, I, for one, am glad that the mods here don't have everything on lockdown. That would make this place stale and boring.

nailed it! :fyi: :wave 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:20 pm 
Adept
Adept

ForeverFaithful wrote:
Closet Catholic wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

Same with snapchat
No, Facebook doesn't own Snapchat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:28 pm 
Adept
Adept

And it's not true that 'people are leaving Facebook' or that it's is no longer as popular as before. The numbers do not lie. Facebook is growing, faster, and has now around 2.27 billion active monthly users. https://www.statista.com/statistics/264 ... worldwide/

It may be true that Facebook isn't that popular amongst teenagers and kids in high school but that doesn't really mean much. People don't generally pass away at 19 and Facebook probably earn more money* on adults.

* Edit: Facebook earn more 'money,' not more 'people.'

Last edited by Closet Catholic on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Closet Catholic wrote:

It may be true that Facebook isn't that popular amongst teenagers and kids in high school but that doesn't really mean much. People don't generally pass away at 19 and Facebook probably earn more people on adults.

I concede that point, but in my defence, I was speaking from what I've observed in my class, who are, well, teenagers. :fyi:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:05 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back on the original topic: I picked up the Catholic Answers minibook on JWs today, and I find it hard to believe that our erstwhile friend had no connection to them. He was using their arguments just about chapter and verse, and some of those arguments I do not think are widespread among anti-Trinitarian groups.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:10 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Back on the original topic: I picked up the Catholic Answers minibook on JWs today, and I find it hard to believe that our erstwhile friend had no connection to them. He was using their arguments just about chapter and verse, and some of those arguments I do not think are widespread among anti-Trinitarian groups.

It may be the case that our guest was reading their literature without knowing the source

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:12 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That would still be a connection.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 8   [ 152 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next