Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Add-on to Speaking in tongues/Pentecostal Reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:09 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Ok, I replied to a post regarding speaking in tongues, but didn’t include some interesting data regarding the churches in which I personally observed displays of the (what I will here call “alleged”) ‘charism.’

Starting around age 5, I observed many women clad in long (mostly denim) skirts, long sleeve shirts, hair on top of their heads ranging from buns to “beehives,” no makeup because the preacher said makeup was for Jezebels. These women, during some faster paced piano music, post-sermon, would be standing up, shouting “amen, hallelujah” etc., waving hands, and sometimes dangerously swinging arms and backhanding me in the head or face, causing me to develop an affinity for the space under the pews while my mother was behaving likewise and unable to see where I was going.

They, as well as some of the men, also had a proclivity for a fast paced foot shuffling type dance when speaking in tongues or shouting whatever they were shouting.

Now, being “slain in the Spirit” was another apparent phenomenon in these churches. A member would be up front, preacher laying his hand on member’s forehead, and the members would fall backwards as if unconscious, yet sometimes speaking in tongues, and occasionally still aware enough to take a glance behind them before they hit the floor.....

I personally once found myself up front being prayed for by a preacher, his hand on my forehead, and he was pushing away as if trying to push me over backwards. He gave up and I walked back to my seat after the prayer. However, it stands as a confirmation in my memory that had I wished, I could’ve cooperated with HIM and totally faked being slain in the spirit like so many others I’d witnessed.

All that having been said, I’ll not claim that IF He wished, God couldn’t do such a thing, only that I’ve witnessed such things being clearly faked in Pentecostal churches, not to mention myriad other false presentations of spiritual gifts such as prophecy and the like. As a matter of fact, one of the preachers about whom I’m thinking is currently listed on snopes.com as a false prophet, and 2.5 years ago did my fathers funersl, at which he told more lies than I could count, and managed to enrage my family to the point that my own mother will no longer speak to the guy, who was once her beloved preacher....

Now, do I have a bit of personal anger against some Pentecostals? Yep, a bit. However, I consider it to be well grounded and righteous anger.....

I thought perhaps adding these personal notes might be of assistance in others’ understanding of the “very” Pentecostal churches.
I’m familiar with snake handlers as well if anyone has questions, but that’s 2nd hand info.

Ya all take care,

~S

Post subject: Re: Add-on to Speaking in tongues/Pentecostal Reply
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:23 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Smiddy wrote:

Now, do I have a bit of personal anger against some Pentecostals? Yep, a bit. However, I consider it to be well grounded and righteous anger.....

Doesn't everyone think their anger is righteous?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
https://fauxtations.wordpress.com/2018/ ... ust-anger/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:27 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
https://fauxtations.wordpress.com/2018/02/24/st-francis-de-sales-and-just-anger/

Ay, I remembered the post but not the verdict, so I just left it unattributed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The even more important point from St. Augustine is that even righteous anger can be toxic:

Quote:
For anger habitually cherished against any one becomes hatred, since the sweetness which is mingled with what appears to be righteous anger makes us detain it longer than we ought in the vessel, until the whole is soured, and the vessel itself is spoiled. Wherefore it is much better for us to forbear from anger, even when one has given us just occasion for it, than, beginning with what seems just anger against any one, to fall, through this occult tendency of passion, into hating him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:13 pm 
Master
Master

Confession time.

I hold some bitterness, less than when I converted, but it's a sin with deep roots, and I pray God will drive it out.

When you leave Protestantism and you just look back on your early years as wandering in a desert where no water could be found. I understand, it was infuriating to visit the churches in the Netherlands that my ancestors stripped bear and took over.

But in the end, bitterness just hurts me, it doesn't help anything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
<deleted - just TMI>