Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: St. Alphonsus on the Fourteenth Sunday After Pentecost
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 am 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
So I've been reading daily St. Alphonsus' mediation for every day of the year. Yesterday there was this striking imagery in the selection for spiritual reading

http://www.religiousbookshelf.com/medit ... ecost.html

While he begins by stating our misery in this life having many enemies both within the Church and outside, having no hope but the Lord, being cursed if we trust men with our whole hope, the reading ends with what seems like a condemnation of "tranquility"

Quote:
As long as we live on this earth, we must, according to St. Paul, work out our salvation with fear and trembling in the midst of the dangers by which we are beset. Whilst a certain vessel was in the open sea a great tempest arose which made the captain tremble. In the hold of the vessel there was an animal eating with as much tranquillity as if the sea were perfectly calm. The captain being asked why he was so much afraid, replied: "If I had a soul like the soul of that brute, I too would be tranquil and without fear; but because I have a rational and an immortal soul, I am afraid of death, after which I must appear before the Judgment-seat of God; and therefore I tremble through fear." Let us tremble. The salvation of our immortal souls is at stake. They who do not tremble, are, as St. Paul says, in great danger of being lost; because they who fear not, seldom recommend themselves to God, and labour but little to adopt the means of salvation. Let us beware, for we are, says St. Cyprian, still in the front of the fight, and combating for eternal salvation

Yet in the TLM readings are from Galatians including

Quote:
But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, Mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences.

and from the Gospel of Matthew including

Quote:
"Therefore I say to you, be not solicitous for your life, what you shall eat, nor for your body, what you shall put on. Is not the life more than the meat: and the body more than the raiment? Behold the birds of the air, for they neither sow, nor do they reap, nor gather into barns: and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not you of much more value than they? And which of you by taking thought, can add to his stature one cubit? "And for raiment why are you solicitous? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they labour not, neither do they spin. But I say to you, that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. And if the grass of the field, which is to day, and to morrow is cast into the oven, God doth so clothe: how much more you, O ye of little faith?

I'm not exactly sure how to reconcile these two ideas; on one hand St. Alphonsus seems to be encouraging solicitiousness in the seeking about of our salvation, on the other the Epistle and Gospel readings (aswell as spiritual authors St. Alphonsus wasno doubt familiar with) emphasis peace as one of the signs of the Christian life.

What is St. Alphonsus really getting at?

Tiber swim team '13

Post subject: Re: St. Alphonsus on the Fourteenth Sunday After Pentecost
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Tremble at your own weakness, but be at peace in relying on God.

Need something to read?