Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Canonical Parish
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I'm not registered officially in any parish church, but according to Canon Law, (for canonical purposes) would that be the closest church to my domicile or home? Let's say I go regularly to some church far away, but I have a church right next door to my home. So accordingly, that church next door is my canonical parish, correct?

Post subject: Re: Canonical Parish
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Not necessarily. If it's officially an ethnic parish, it's not regional.

In any case, boundaries are not enforced and not important in the US.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Ok, now I'm confused.

I'm in Canada btw. (oh, and if the mods notice that my ip says I'm in US, that's because I'm using a VPN).

I spoke with a Canon Lawyer about getting dispensed from private vows (just to ease my conscience). He said locate the church nearest your home; for canonical purposes that would be considered my parish (even though I'm not registered there, or anywhere for that matter), talk to the pastor, get dispensation from there.

And the church I have in mind is an ethnic parish. So now I'm confused and don't know what to do. Can any priest dispense from private vows?

Last edited by DominiCanis on Thu May 03, 2018 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes.No.

Need something to read?

Last edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:42 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Hmmmm ... looking at the CIC, it does say "Ordinary or pastor."

BTW, I strongly discourage making private vows.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I spoke with a canon lawyer and he said he is absolutely sure as can be that I should go to the nearest Catholic Church in my home (my domicile), and that would be considered my parish canonically speaking, and ask the pastor there.

I have a Catholic Church directly a block from where I live. I'm not sure if that ethnic thing would make it different - as in non territorial, though. The church next to me caters to the Polish community.

And yeah, I will be very careful about the vow thing. I did this when I was a stupid teenager.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:07 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Is it possible that the parish is not actually an ethnic parish and that it is a regional parish for a region that just so happens to contain a lot of Polish people?

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:23 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
It can be tricky. The best thing to do is send some emails. We have two parishes here on the same street a few miles apart. I'm pretty sure that one is territorial or canonical or whatever and the other is not. I can't remember which is which but I think the one that has a lot of priests from an order in residence is not.

I would go with what the canon lawyer told you. In church law the parish in whose territory you reside is something. I don't want to be too specific as I don't know what I'm talking about.

ETA: I think I found a parish boundaries map on the diocese website once years ago.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Well according to a document put out by my Archdiocese, there are two types of parishes: territorial and personal. The latter caters to needs of a particular ethnic community. We have 44(!) of them. The one near my house is probably personal, since Polish people from a distance actually go there. And the other nearest one caters to the Portuguese community. I think I'll just ask the pastor.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Or I can just go to the Cathedral and ask the pastor there if he can talk to a bishop and get faculties..

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:32 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

But as Father noted, I think any priest can absolve you of a personal vow. The only time that requires more canonical form is if it were a public vow.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:40 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

He changed his answer to a no (see his post).

Here's the relevant canon:

Quote:
Canon 1196 -- In addition to the Roman Pontiff, the following can dispense from private vows for a just cause provided that a dispensation does not injure a right acquired by others:

1° the local ordinary and the pastor with regard to all their subjects and even travelers;

2° the superior of a religious institute or society of apostolic life if it is clerical and of pontifical right with regard to members, novices, and persons who live day and night in a house of the institute or society;

3° those to whom the Apostolic See or the local ordinary has delegated the power of dispensing.

From what my canon law acquaintance told me, traveler has a very specific meaning under the law. It means someone outside the diocese I think who is visiting. And pastor here refers to the one nearest my residence. So that let's say if I wanted to get married at another parish further away; in order for it to be licit they would actually have to contact that parish pastor nearest my residence for permission. So he would be the one with the authority under canon 1196.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Anyway, this is a learning experience. I had no idea all these rules existed.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 am 
There Can Be Only One

Neither did I.

Every Catholic I know goes where they want. I go to the most conservative parish in my city; I won't go to Mass to listen to banjos and bongos. Nor to a parish whose pastor clearly had no time for me, and said so, when I was considering conversion. I'll drive a long way for a solemn Mass. And I do.

Most I know have changed parishes a time or two. Without any issue by anyone anywhere.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Just to clarify: you're allowed to go to any parish you want. You can even register at any parish within your area. But for the purposes of canon law (according to my canon law acquaintance) your canonical parish is the one nearest your home. You're not required to even attend that parish ever. But for all intended purposes, under the law that would be your canonical parish, or at least that's how I understood him. So let's say you want to get married at another parish further from your home. In order for it to be licit, they would have to contact the parish nearest your house for permission (even though you've never attended there).

Father, or someone else out there, if you guys know more on this or could consult someone, that would be great.

Edit: this explains it a bit

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Marriage Law varies from diocese to diocese. I can do a marriage for anyone who lives in this diocese, no matter what parish.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
DominiCanis wrote:
But for the purposes of canon law (according to my canon law acquaintance) your canonical parish is the one nearest your home.

Where boundaries are enforced, your canonical parish the the one in whose boundaries you live, not necessarily the one closest to your home.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:50 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Another question might be whether you're certain you actually made a private vow or whether you merely made a promise.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:53 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

That's what I was wondering. The closest to my home is a personal parish (I don't think it's territorial). I'm not sure which is the territorial parish near me or what I would fall under.

Any idea what I should do? I think I'll just make an appointment with the priest and ask about all this.

And no, I hate going into my mind about the vagueness and degrees of uncertainties. I just want to get dispensed (formally or conditionally of any vows that I may have made) for my peace of mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:55 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Oh I wasn't recommending that you not get dispensed if even only for peace of mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 46 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next