Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bitcoin conference not accepting bitcoin as payment...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 pm 
DCF Poet Laureate

Religion: Catholic
Greetings;

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2018 ... ments.html

Attendees at next week’s popular cryptocurrency conference are faced with the irony of using cash instead of bitcoin to pay for the event

bye

Post subject: Re: Bitcoin conference not accepting bitcoin as payment...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
It's a currency that is unusable as a currency. Which makes it......... basically nothing. The only way to invest in bitcoin is to short it, because it is worth nothing.

One of the investment banks with Morgan in the name, can't remember which, issued a letter the other day in which they advised that they think the real value of bitcoin may be zero.

So I'm not the only one who thinks that. If to handle all the transactions that happen at 7-11 stores would require the total energy output of the sun, and a supercomputer the size of the moon, you have a problem. Giant stone wheels would be a much better medium of exchange.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 am 
The Exterminator

Oh, don't forget that the odds are 100% that your bitcoin will be stolen, given enough time.

I predict bitcoin will hit $1 million. If bitcoin is still around in 50 years, the last one will get sold to a museum for $1 million.

I hear people say they wish they had bought bitcoin years ago. I would have except there wasn't a safe way to store it I knew of. The exchanges and bitcoin banks get hacked and robbed all the time. If you had bought years ago you would have been robbed by now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
1) Bitcoin is the ultimate fiat currency.
2) I'm not sure where Bombadil is getting his info, but most of it is wrong.
3) There would be nothing physical to sell to a museum.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am 
The Exterminator

3) it could be loaded onto a thumb drive. Or a chip planted in a bitcoin symbol shaped coin. That would make a nice display.

2) which info?

Bitcoin transactions are handled by miners who also mine. They do both. Mining requires exponentially increasing computer power which requires a lot of electricity. A mining computer like the antminer s9 or so requires 1600 watts. That's more than a space heater. Current processing fees per transaction are $50. That may get fixed, but the computing power required to handle transactions is a very real problem.

Last edited by Bombadil on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 am 
The Exterminator

2) bitfinex hacked last April. Exchanges hacked in south Korea last month. Exchanges all over the world hacked all the time. Mt Gox disaster wiped out tons of bitcoin. Official estimates of bitcoin lost so far are about 25%.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am 

Church Affiliations: KoC
The real purpose of it, when started, was to provide a medium of exchange for Tor/darknet transactions, (...shudder..). Essentially an easy money laundering tool.

This silly phenomena of it "having value" is a ponzi scheme mentality, it only has value because people keep buying in. It is going to really crash hard here very soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It does require processing power to mine bitcoin. No one knows quite how much, but a lot. I would be interested to see a reputable source behind the claim that it would take the output of the Sun to power the transactions at a single 7-11.

The 100% certainty of theft--again, do you have a reputable source for that? Pointing out that there have been major thefts doesn't make it so, and in fact those thefts are from exchanges where people attempt to convert bitcoin into other forms of currency.

I don't think it's a Ponzi/pyramid scheme by strict definition. One commentator called it a "collective delusion," and I think that's about right, even granted that real-world currencies aren't fixed on anything either. Bitcoin is an extra level removed from reality.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 pm 
The Exterminator

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
It does require processing power to mine bitcoin. No one knows quite how much, but a lot. I would be interested to see a reputable source behind the claim that it would take the output of the Sun to power the transactions at a single 7-11.

I meant all of the 7-11s. Ok, fine, I will refrain from hyperbole. If the world switched to bitcoin, it would require many times more energy to process the transactions than the world currently produces, and it would increase exponentially over time. It actually isn't hard to get to a calculation that would require the entire energy output of the sun. A single transaction requires the same amount of energy to process that would power 9 homes for 1 day.

Quote:
In just a few months from now, at bitcoin’s current growth rate, the electricity demanded by the cryptocurrency network will start to outstrip what’s available, requiring new energy-generating plants. And with the climate conscious racing to replace fossil fuel-base plants with renewable energy sources, new stress on the grid means more facilities using dirty technologies. By July 2019, the bitcoin network will require more electricity than the entire United States currently uses. By February 2020, it will use as much electricity as the entire world does today.

https://grist.org/article/bitcoin-could ... gy-future/

Remember, these estimates are based on the currency not even being used as a currency. If it was those numbers would skyrocket.

Quote:
The 100% certainty of theft--again, do you have a reputable source for that? Pointing out that there have been major thefts doesn't make it so, and in fact those thefts are from exchanges where people attempt to convert bitcoin into other forms of currency.

That is sort of an extrapolation. If 25% has been lost so far in just a few years, give it another couple of decades. Or a hundred years. When I put money in the bank, it stays there. Bitcoin doesn't. It's impossible to keep up with all of the hackings. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bitf ... SKCN10E0KP

Quote:
2/3 Of All Bitcoins Have Been Mined, 1/3 May Be Lost.................................................The amount of lost coins will only ever increase.

http://www.coinbuzz.com/2015/03/31/23-b ... -may-lost/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That energy use article is open to dispute, to put it mildly.

Most money nowadays is not in the form of cash or gold or whatever. It's bits in a bank's computer memory somewhere, no more and no less susceptible to theft in principle--it's just that real banks dealing with real money have better security.

"Coins" aren't lost because of theft, BTW. The article from which you got the last quotation says what the causes of loss are: "Bitcoins can be lost due to irrecoverable passwords, forgotten wallets from when Bitcoin was worth little, from hardware failure or because of the death of the bitcoin owner [who didn't leave instructions for anyone else to find a use them]."

I'm not a fan of bitcoin; I think it's a bubble and will come crashing down; but I'm incurably averse to bad arguments, even in a good cause.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
AS BITCOIN on Wednesday dipped below $US10,000 for the first time since late November, extending a plunge that has wiped roughly half the value off the digital currency in the past month, there was only one question on investors’ minds.

Has the “bubble” finally burst, or was this just another wild fluctuation as bitcoin marches towards its “true value” of $US100,000 or even higher?

With Bloomberg mulling whether Wednesday’s plunge marked the beginning of the end, and the top post on Reddit’s 500,000-strong cryptocurrency forum linking to the Suicide Prevention Hotline, one Twitter user made a dry observation.

“It has to bounce because 1) the coinfreude is way too high 2) there is no f***ing way the market gods will let the chart look EXACTLY like the archetype bubble chart,” wrote user Modest Proposal.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/in ... 7338c6a88f

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 pm 
DCF Poet Laureate

Greetings:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.