Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]   
 Post subject: IS THE OLD TESTAMENT A FORESHADOW OF THE NEW TESTAMENT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:33 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Is the old testament a prototype of things that will happen again in the new testament? Is the new testament, the fulfillment of the old testament prophecies.

The New, is in the Old Concealed, the Old, is in the New Revealed

True Evidence for the old, revealed in the new [taken from Douay Rheims Bible]. And there are numerous. In Genesis ch. 22, there is the foreshadow or prototype of Jesus carrying the Holy Cross. The sacrifice of Jesus. And the crowning of thorns of Jesus. This is seen in Abraham and Isaac.

Genesis 22:5-6, 9-13 [5] ... I and the boy will go with speed as far as yonder, and after we have worshipped, will return to you. [6] And he took the wood for the holocaust, and laid it upon Isaac his son: And as they two went on together, [9] ... and when he had bound Isaac his son, he laid him on the altar upon the pile of wood. [10] And he put forth his hand and took the sword, to sacrifice his son. [11] And behold an angel of the Lord from heaven called to him, saying: Abraham, Abraham. And he answered: Here I am. [12] And he said to him: Lay not thy hand upon the boy, neither do thou any thing to him: now I know that thou fearest God, and hast not spared thy only begotten son for my sake. [13] Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw behind his back a ram amongst the briers sticking fast by the horns, which he took and offered for a holocaust instead of his son.

Abraham, took the wood and laid it on the back of Isaac, which Isaac carried, signifying Jesus carrying wooden Holy Cross. Abraham placed Isaac on the altar, signifying God the Father offering His only begotten Son, Jesus. After Abraham was stayed by the Angel, he noticed the providential ram and its horns [head] stuck among the briers [thorns]. God provided the ram for the sacrifice, instead of Isaac, signifying what would happen to Jesus in the future.

This was the foreshadow of God the Father, offering and sacrificing is only begotten Son, Jesus Christ.

Acts 7:32 I am the God of thy fathers; the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.

In fact, we can see that Mary offers her Son to God, in the same way that God the Father, gave His only begotten Son for the world.

Luke 2;21-24 And after eight days were accomplished, that the child should be circumcised, his name was called JESUS, which was called by the angel, before he was conceived in the womb. And after the days of her purification, according to the law of Moses, were accomplished, they carried him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord: As it is written in the law of the Lord: Every male opening the womb shall be called holy to the Lord: And to offer a sacrifice, according as it is written in the law of the Lord, a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons:

In the old testament, if a person did not have a lot of money to buy a beast i.e. calf or lamb, two turtledoves could be bought and offered. Mary, not only offered two turtledoves, but she offered the unblemished perfect lamb to God, Jesus Christ.

John 1:29 The next day, John saw Jesus coming to him, and he saith: Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who taketh away the sin of the world.

Another old testament example would be Moses lifting up the standard [pole] with a brazen serpent on it, as a foreshadow of Jesus, being lifted up on the Holy Cross. After the children of Israel had defeated King Arad and the Chanaanites, they journeyed onward to go around the land of Edom. And they began to get tired and started to complain that they had no food except the heavenly manna [light bread] given by God. And so, God sent fiery serpents, to bite and kill many of them. And as usual, the children of Israel, ran to Moses, for intercession with God. God told Moses to make a brazen serpent and put it on a standard [pole] and raise it up and when the people look upon the brazen serpent, they would be healed. This is a foreshadow of Jesus being raised up on the Holy Cross, that those who believed may have life everlasting.

Numbers 21:6-9 Wherefore the Lord sent among the people fiery serpents, which bit them and killed many of them. Upon which they came to Moses, and said: We have sinned, because we have spoken against the Lord and thee: pray that he may take away these serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. And the Lord said to him: Make brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: whosoever being struck shall look on it, shall live. Moses therefore made a brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: which when they that were bitten looked upon, they were healed.

John 3:14-15 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him, may not perish; but may have life everlasting.

Because Jesus, took to Himself, the sins of the world, it can be said that Jesus looked, 'as', like a serpent, becoming, 'as', sin.

Isaias 53:2-5 … there is no beauty in him, nor comeliness: and we have seen him, and there was no sightliness, that we should be desirous of him: Despised, and the most abject of men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with infirmity: and his look was as it were hidden and despised, whereupon we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our infirmities and carried our sorrows: and we have thought him as it were a leper, and as one struck by God and afflicted. But he was wounded for our iniquities, he was bruised for our sins: the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and by his bruises we are healed.

Here is one more. Just as Moses had great intercessory power with God, for the children of Israel, Our Lady has much greater power, with her Son Jesus. So much so, that Mary, has hereditary sovereign rights, as Queen of heaven and Earth. Jesus in His Incarnation, He is flesh and bone of Mary. And in making this point, here is another prototype.

Genesis 2:23 And Adam said: This now is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man.

But I digress, back to Esther and Mary.

Esther 7:2-3 … What is thy petition, Esther, that it may be granted thee? and what wilt thou have done: although thou ask the half of my kingdom, thou shalt have it. [3] Then she answered: If I have found Favour in thy sight, O king, and if it please thee, give me my life for which I ask, and my people for which I request.

John 2:1-10 And the third day, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee: and the mother of Jesus was there. And Jesus also was invited, and his disciples, to the marriage. And the wine failing, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine. And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? my hour is not yet come. His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye. Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three measures apiece. Jesus saith to them: Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And Jesus saith to them: Draw out now, and carry to the chief steward of the feast. And they carried it. And when the chief steward had tasted the water made wine, and knew not whence it was, but the waiters knew who had drawn the water; the chief steward calleth the bridegroom, And saith to him: Every man at first setteth forth good wine, and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse. But thou hast kept the good wine until now.

Ecclesiasticus 4:11-12 And thou shalt be as the obedient son of [the Holy Ghost] the most High, and he will have mercy on thee more than a mother. Wisdom inspireth life into her children, and protecteth them that seek after her, and will go before them in the way of justice.

Post subject: Re: IS THE OLD TESTAMENT A FORESHADOW OF THE NEW TESTAMENT
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:51 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
This topic is covered in other threads.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]