Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Question about Seminary
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Every seminarian is required to have a spiritual director. A new guy gets a few weeks to figure out who he wants to ask, but he should have one before very long.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

As I thought about, I remembered how it worked: There is a priest who is the spiritual director for the seminary (he also accepts personal directees). By such-and-such a date, you had to notify him who your director was, and that director had to come from an approved list. I imagine if you wanted someone not on the list, you could ask, but you couldn't pick just anybody.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm 
Master
Master

Did you study apologetics in Seminary? Or does that just naturally come about in studying philosophy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:20 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Neither one. I studied it here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:44 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
:shock:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:27 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Nathan wrote:
Did you study apologetics in Seminary? Or does that just naturally come about in studying philosophy?

The worst possibly way to learn apologetics is by studying it, the second worst possible way is to learn it by reading the writings of apologists.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The standard course listings for theology are on p. 40.

Sign...the road not taken. That looks great, I wish I could sign up. I have no interest in being ordained, but part of me thinks that if I had the chance to do it all over again, I might have studied theology or Biblical studies rather than mathematics. Or maybe tried a double major or something equally idiotic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:42 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Finally, I would point out, as I have to Jack in the past, that intense language-chopping exegesis is new in the past few centuries, and I find it difficult to believe that the best way of looking at Scripture would have lain neglected for well over a millennium.

I just noticed this....I feel the need to respond.

I agree that intensive study of the Biblical languages is not the best approach to studying the Bible, but I think a good grounding in the Biblical languages is a good starting point because before you can interpret a text, you must first be able to read it.

It is quite true that the language based approach is relatively new, but isn't it clear that the reason why that is is because in ancient times, it wasn't necessary? And for more than 1,000 years, knowledge of Biblical Greek was so bad that even if people wanted to do an intensive word study of the New Testament, it wouldn't even be possible because the tools didn't exist.

For the Fathers of the Church, intensive study of the Greek language wasn't necessary because they were native Greek speakers who knew and understood Greek in a much deeper way than anyone currently alive possibly can. For us today, even native Greek speakers, who speak modern Greek, cannot come to an equal understanding of Biblical Greek that the Fathers had.

It is like, no one today makes an intensive word study of the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence, we don't need to because we are native English speakers, we understand these texts perfectly well.

But imagine 2000 years from now, the English language has evolved to a point where even native English speakers cannot understand the Declaration of Independence because it is written in an incomprehensible ancient dialect knowledge of which has largely been forgotten, and the text was widely known only in translation. And imagine that, in order to get a degree in American history, one would have to take 3-4 years of courses in '18th century English dialect' to even be capable of reading the Declaration of Independence in the original language. At this point, wouldn't it be really useful to do an intensive word study of such texts as the Declaration, the Constitution or the Gettysburg Address?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:52 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Except St. Augustine, one of the greatest exegetes in the history of the Church, knew neither Greek nor Hebrew. Nor did St. Thomas Aquinas.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:

It is like, no one today makes an intensive word study of the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence, we don't need to because we are native English speakers, we understand these texts perfectly well.

I thought textualists or "Consitutionalists" do exactly that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:52 am 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Nathan wrote:
Doom wrote:

I thought textualists or "Consitutionalists" do exactly that.

As well as Political Science scholars.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2