Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: One for Fr. Kenobi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:43 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Many priests were gathered for Vespers during an ecumenical council at the Vatican. Right in the middle, the power went out, and the priests were cast into darkness.

Without missing a beat, the Benedictines continued on in prayer with the liturgy of the hours from memory.

The Franciscans immediately broke into spontaneous praise for the gift of darkness and light, marveling at God's creation.

The Dominicans broke into a debate about the significant of darkness and light.

The Jesuits broke into a debate about whether or not this excused them from their obligation to pray Vespers that night.

Meanwhile, the diocesan priest excused himself, went to the cellar, and changed the fuse.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post subject: Re: One for Fr. Kenobi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Fuses. How quaint.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:58 am 

Hey, the Vatican is an old building in an old city. It's entirely plausible. :fyi:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

"The Vatican" is not a building :scratch: :fyi:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fuses. How quaint.

Huh? :scratch: Are you suggesting that fuses don't exist anymore? I've never seen a building that didn't have a fusebox, including every building I have ever lived in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 am 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
"The Vatican" is not a building :scratch: :fyi:

A bunch of old buildings, then. Picky. :roll:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fuses. How quaint.

Huh? :scratch: Are you suggesting that fuses don't exist anymore? I've never seen a building that didn't have a fusebox, including every building I have ever lived in.

Usually filled with circuit breakers.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 am 
King of Cool

I have a box of replacement fuses under my sink right now, which I use whenever the power goes out, and the building I live in was built in 2001. Every summer, when it is hot and everyone in the building (except me) is running their air conditioner, the power goes out at least once and I have to go to the basement and replace the fuse to restore the power to my apartment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Interesting. I would have thought most modern construction used breakers.

At any rate, my main purpose was to taunt Mrs. Timmy. Facts are helpful but not necessary in such an endeavor.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:40 am 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

At any rate, my main purpose was to taunt Mrs. Timmy. Facts are helpful but not necessary in such an endeavor.

Why Father! You go to such trouble for little ol' me? I'm flattered! :cloud9:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:30 am 

The only item that used actual fuses was the pool filter. Everything else is connected to a circuit breaker with switches, not fuses.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:58 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Doom wrote:
I have a box of replacement fuses under my sink right now, which I use whenever the power goes out, and the building I live in was built in 2001. Every summer, when it is hot and everyone in the building (except me) is running their air conditioner, the power goes out at least once and I have to go to the basement and replace the fuse to restore the power to my apartment.

Going without AC is the sign of severe mental illness.

I'd rather go without supper and have the AC on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:05 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:

When we first moved to Virginia from up in yankeeland, we looked at a bunch of apartments around town, some of which did not have AC. I kept saying, "well, I mean, we don't really need AC, do we?" We did, in fact, wind up in an apartment with AC. I am so glad. I had no idea how essential it would become for me!

But up there in yankeeland, air conditioning is still fairly rare. OK, I don't know for sure how rare it is, honestly, but when I was a kid, nobody I knew had it. Nowadays, I think some people are getting it put in, but most of the people I still know up there don't have it. You really don't need it. Yes, it can get pretty hot, but evening comes and things really cool right down. And the really hot days are not common. You get an uncomfortable week or so every summer and that's that.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:19 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I've lived in some old houses but all had circuit breakers (I assume they had been upgraded at some point). Heck, our current house still has some knob-and-tube wiring and has circuit breakers.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:22 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
gherkin wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:

When we first moved to Virginia from up in yankeeland, we looked at a bunch of apartments around town, some of which did not have AC. I kept saying, "well, I mean, we don't really need AC, do we?" We did, in fact, wind up in an apartment with AC. I am so glad. I had no idea how essential it would become for me!

But up there in yankeeland, air conditioning is still fairly rare. OK, I don't know for sure how rare it is, honestly, but when I was a kid, nobody I knew had it. Nowadays, I think some people are getting it put in, but most of the people I still know up there don't have it. You really don't need it. Yes, it can get pretty hot, but evening comes and things really cool right down. And the really hot days are not common. You get an uncomfortable week or so every summer and that's that.

That might be the case in say, Vermont, but down here in PA and NJ the humidity is such that it doesn't cool down much in the evening - or at least not to a point at which one is comfortable. We don't have central air but we do have window units.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Peregrinator wrote:
That might be the case in say, Vermont, but down here in PA and NJ the humidity is such that it doesn't cool down much in the evening - or at least not to a point at which one is comfortable. We don't have central air but we do have window units.

Yeah, you're pretty far to the south of the north. I think Doom's closer to the north of the north.

We lived in mid-OH for a few years before moving to VA. Yes, it was much hotter and stickier in OH than it had been way up north, and actually we bought a window unit for our bedroom while we were there.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:36 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

When our house was built it had an attic fan. Sadly, it has been covered over. I loved those things (Aunt had one in the farm house). You really could move enough air to keep it reasonably cool with an attic fan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:55 pm 
King of Cool

kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:

Besides the fact that air conditioning makes me severely physically ill, it gives me headaches, clogs my sinuses, can even make me vomit, there is also the fact that if turn on the air conditioning, then I will be evicted because with a $300 electric bill, I won't be able to pay rent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:

Besides the fact that air conditioning makes me severely physically ill, it gives me headaches, clogs my sinuses, can even make me vomit, there is also the fact that if turn on the air conditioning, then I will be evicted because with a $300 electric bill, I won't be able to pay rent.

We have weeks on end where it is over 100 degrees with super high humidity and I keep it at 68 degrees at night. Even then, our old, drafty door jams, 2 bedroom house never has a bill higher than maybe $180. How on earth can you run up $300???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:21 pm 
King of Cool

kage_ar wrote:
We have weeks on end where it is over 100 degrees with super high humidity and I keep it at 68 degrees at night. Even then, our old, drafty door jams, 2 bedroom house never has a bill higher than maybe $180. How on earth can you run up $300???

A normal month when I'm not even at home 12-18 hours a day, my bill is $50-$60, and that's when rates are at their lowest. In summer, with peak usage, rates are even higher and running the air conditioning 24/7 for three months, and the bill is easily going to be at least 5-6 times bigger than normal. And don't say 'well, don't run it 24/7', because constantly turning it on and off uses up even more electricity and causes the bill to go even higher, just turning it on and leaving it on nonstop is the cheapest possible option.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next