Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello, All!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:41 pm 

Religion: Asatru/Questioning
Hello! I am not Catholic, but I have an interest in the Catholic Church and I am trying to learn more about it. I'm not sure if I will end up joining and I have a lot of difficult feelings about the idea of leaving my faith (I am Asatru and have been an active member of that community for about 15 years at this point) and a lot of the teachings of the Church, but I also feel drawn to it in a very strange way. So, I'm looking forward to learning. I've been working my way through a stack full of books, particularly the works of Bishop Sheen, C.S. Lewis, and some books on general Catholic teaching that I was recommended. I'm looking forward to learning more about how Catholicism is practiced on the ground and what it means for you all to have a relationship with your God.

"Cattle die and kinsmen die, thy ownself too must die. One thing I know that never dies, the good name of one who has earned it." ~ The Havamal

Post subject: Re: Hello, All!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Hello :wave
Welcome to the forums!
Feel free to start a discussion or join one!

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome to or slice of cyberspace aa ... enjoy your stay... you have come to a good place to learn about the Catholic faith :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:43 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Hi and welcome, attackamazon! :wave

Something you might consider, now or in future, is to speak with a local priest about learning more. Many parishes have an RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) or similar program, where you may want to take classes with a group and learn more about Catholicism. Don't worry, you are not agreeing to or implying that you will become Catholic if you do take the classes--it's a learning and discernment process.

Other than that, feel free to search around or ask questions here. I have found the people here on the DCF board to be great resources for information and advice! :)

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Aboard!! :salut:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:19 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF!

I too love the writings of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, and C.S. Lewis!

Feel free to start asking questions in Catholicism 101. It is good to ask questions each in its own thread.