Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi/Intro
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:12 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Hello all. Found this site as a result of a video, and am tickled there are message boards here.

My wife and I converted to Catholicism as of Easter Vigil this year, and we couldn't be happier about it!
You see, I personally was raised first in a Pentecostal church, then "Church of God." My wife, however, was raised from age 3 in the United Methodist Church. So, since we started dating the summer before our junior year in high school, back in '86, I was totally drawn closer to the UMC than I was to the church types I was raised in. >>fast forward>>last summer, we were actually looking for a different protestant church for a number of weeks. Then one Sunday afternoon, we were lying in bed watching TV, just kickin' it, and it just HIT ME OUT OF NOWHERE like a ton of bricks, and I found myself saying to my wife, "Why don't we just convert to being Catholic?" She readily agreed, contacted our area Parish, and found out we were just in time to catch the second session of the year's RCIA class!

RCIA flew by! Oh it was a treat. We looked forward to it every single week like it was a kid's birthday.
Not even I, who was pretty hardcore "sola scriptura" prior to this, had any issues at all accepting the teachings of the Catholic Church, and as I said, as of this past Easter Vigil, we are now Catholic in full communion. I am also a Knight of Columbus now, and that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

More good news ---->>> My wife's mother had attended the same UM church that we did, but the pastor there literally hurt her so bad she didn't go for a number of weeks, and no one from that church even bothered to call and check on her. Since she is elderly, that was not good. BUT, she started attending Mass with us, and now we all 3 go every Saturday afternoon, and we all look forward to that as well.

More? YEP. Turns out, my son, who lives about the other side of the nation from us and is married, is about to sign up for RCIA where he is for this year!! He married a Catholic young lady, so they just need to have their marriage blessed and HE needs to go through the RCIA class. I'm terribly happy for him and proud of him, and most of all, grateful to God for drawing all of us to the Catholic Church.

For me, and for my wife, the conversion was one of the most awesome spiritual steps we've ever taken!

There u have it. (and then some :)). Glad to see this board, and look forward to talking with others here.

Ya all take care.

Smiddy

Post subject: Re: Hi/Intro
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:55 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Welcome! Pull up a chair. :wave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:58 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Aboard!!! :salut:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:10 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Welcome to our corner of cyberspace! :wave Looking forward to meeting you in the threads!

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:31 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
w00t! :wootsign and welcome home to all that are in communion with His Church and prayers for those on the journey to get there... enjoy your stay with us... btw...if you happen to be a college football fan, we have a game picking competition every year... and one with the nfl as well... the college game has been set up... espn hasn't released the nfl game yet ... let me know if you are interested and i'll shoot you the info

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:20 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
:wave

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:49 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, Smiddy! Welcome to the board.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:05 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Welcome home to all y'all! Come on in, the Tiber is fine! :mrgreen:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:12 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Welcome to DCF! :wave

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:28 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Glad to have you here Smiddy, and thanks for sharing about all those conversions!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome to DCF. I too am a convert and thoroughly enjoyed RCIA.