Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:35 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 7850
Location: India
Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Surplice, Ad orientem

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:34 pm
Posts: 28994
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
Surplice, Ad orientem

Surplice is English. "sur-plus" or "sur-plis" (the latter is more British, but some Americans say it that way too)

The Latin is superpelliceum

sue-pear-pel- lee - chay- oom

Ad orientem

add Oh-ree-en-tem

This is a good explanation

https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/ecc ... _latin.htm

_________________
Quoniam sapientia aperuit os mutorum, et linguas infantium fecit disertas.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:58 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 7850
Location: India
Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Thomas Waleys wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Surplice, Ad orientem

Surplice is English. "sur-plus" or "sur-plis" (the latter is more British, but some Americans say it that way too)

The Latin is superpelliceum

sue-pear-pel- lee - chay- oom

Ad orientem

add Oh-ree-en-tem

This is a good explanation

https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/ecc ... _latin.htm

Thank you. And for the Ad orientem, the Ad part is pronounced with a as in father, like in the other words, right?

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:58 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:34 pm
Posts: 28994
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
Thomas Waleys wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Surplice, Ad orientem

Surplice is English. "sur-plus" or "sur-plis" (the latter is more British, but some Americans say it that way too)

The Latin is superpelliceum

sue-pear-pel- lee - chay- oom

Ad orientem

add Oh-ree-en-tem

This is a good explanation

https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/ecc ... _latin.htm

Thank you. And for the Ad orientem, the Ad part is pronounced with a as in father, like in the other words, right?

Right. Maybe my poor attempt at pseudo-phonetic spelling should have been odd rather than add (the a in the word add being different

_________________
Quoniam sapientia aperuit os mutorum, et linguas infantium fecit disertas.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 7850
Location: India
Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Thomas Waleys wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Thomas Waleys wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Surplice, Ad orientem

Surplice is English. "sur-plus" or "sur-plis" (the latter is more British, but some Americans say it that way too)

The Latin is superpelliceum

sue-pear-pel- lee - chay- oom

Ad orientem

add Oh-ree-en-tem

This is a good explanation

https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/ecc ... _latin.htm

Thank you. And for the Ad orientem, the Ad part is pronounced with a as in father, like in the other words, right?

Right. Maybe my poor attempt at pseudo-phonetic spelling should have been odd rather than add (the a in the word add being different
Usually, it is "uh" for the short and "ar" for the long versions of "a as in father".

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:24 am 
Offline
Eminent
Eminent
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:59 am
Posts: 15957
Religion: Католик
I don't pronounce Latin the Italian way, and I like to write macrons over vowels.

I also can write "short" accents over vowels, too.

_________________
TRÁI TIM MẸ SẼ THẮNG.

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:32 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:30 am
Posts: 593
Religion: Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
Thomas Waleys wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Thomas Waleys wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Surplice, Ad orientem

Surplice is English. "sur-plus" or "sur-plis" (the latter is more British, but some Americans say it that way too)

The Latin is superpelliceum

sue-pear-pel- lee - chay- oom

Ad orientem

add Oh-ree-en-tem

This is a good explanation

https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/ecc ... _latin.htm

Thank you. And for the Ad orientem, the Ad part is pronounced with a as in father, like in the other words, right?

Right. Maybe my poor attempt at pseudo-phonetic spelling should have been odd rather than add (the a in the word add being different
Usually, it is "uh" for the short and "ar" for the long versions of "a as in father".


According to the generic "Italianate" Latin pronunciation (like what was given in the EWTN guide), vowel length is not generally observed, except to determine stress accent. Vowel quantity is almost always the same regardless of context (e.g., A is always like in "father," never as in "bat" or "Virginia").


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help with pronunciation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:34 pm
Posts: 28994
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
I was assuming Ecclesiatical pronunciation, modo Romano, which is what is given by the Liber usualis, which is where EWTN got that guide from. That manner of pronunciation was urged to and requested of all Catholics in the liturgy under Benedict XV

There is also a Germanic ecclesiatical pronunciation (compare vinci vin-chi versus vin-tzi) and a few others, just as before pseudo-classical was invented by German scholars pronunciation in academic circles varied widely (

_________________
Quoniam sapientia aperuit os mutorum, et linguas infantium fecit disertas.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Jump to: