Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 5   [ 83 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: seeking the truth
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:50 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic, praise God
GKC wrote:
I prefer to think of myself as schismatic. But no, I don't eat fried chicken.

Sometimes will eat a fried chicken strip or something similar.

GKC

Maybe it would taste better if you put ketchup on it...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:54 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
GKC wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
GKC wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
MrZoom wrote:
mmmmm ..... fried chicken

'Tis the Sacrament of Baptist Church Festivals worldwide!

Possibly a minor reason I left the Baptists.

GKC

***gasp*** :shock: :shock: :shock: ***gasp***

You don't like fried chicken!!??

Heretic!!!

I prefer to think of myself as schismatic. But no, I don't eat fried chicken.

Sometimes will eat a fried chicken strip or something similar.

GKC

no southern roots in the family on either side huh? :P

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:57 am 
Master
Master

milby wrote:
Quick question. I know Matthew 16:18 is a key verse that the Catholic church is founded upon. Protestants (by the way, do you call us Protestants or just Christians?) argue that Jesus isn't talking about Peter literally being the cornerstone of the Church because the rest of the New Testament implies that Jesus is the cornerstone. I see how you can interpret that scripture both ways. So how can one know for SURE which side is correct?

Milby, Catholics can't decide what to call them. ::): Some say Protestant, some say Prots, some say Fundies (as in Fundamentalist), some say evangelicals...I prefer non-Catholic Christians, as the other terms are often inaccurate (shouldn't all of us be fundamental in our beliefs, evangelical in our actions?) and sometimes disrespectful.

I say this as someone who spent 36 years as a non-Catholic Christian before returning to the Church almost two years ago. :cloud9:

Mr. Mea grew up in the Southern Baptist church, but for most of our marriage we attended Assemblies of God--quite a switch. ::): Mr. Mea has not joined me, so we are a divided family--he goes to his church on Sunday morning, I go to Mass. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:01 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:

Au contraire. Six generations, at least. Why, Uncle Tommy was governor, back in 1820. His house, Grandaddy Issac's house and Uncle Joe's house still stand, not too far from the Battery.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:05 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

well istm that if you are not in the Catholic Church, you are protesting something the Church is teaching ...so it is just simple to call all of them protestants :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 am 
Master
Master

milby wrote:
Quick question. I know Matthew 16:18 is a key verse that the Catholic church is founded upon. Protestants (by the way, do you call us Protestants or just Christians?) argue that Jesus isn't talking about Peter literally being the cornerstone of the Church because the rest of the New Testament implies that Jesus is the cornerstone. I see how you can interpret that scripture both ways. So how can one know for SURE which side is correct?

You know, even when I was a non-Catholic Christian, the "interpretation" that was always given never really quite made sense to me. I accepted it because I didn't believe what the Catholic Church taught, so the Protestant interpretation must be correct. How crazy is that reasoning?? :scratch: But really, if we're going to believe that the Bible says what it means, as we do in so many other places, then we have to believe it means what it says here: that Jesus was saying His church would be built on Peter.

Non-Catholic Christians ignore history, too, which they shouldn't, because if they paid attention they'd see that the Church recognized Peter's authority from the beginning, and that of each of his successors.

There have been many moments over the last three+ years where I've gone :shock: and wondered how I could have missed that for 36 years.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

GKC wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Au contraire. Six generations, at least. Why, Uncle Tommy was governor, back in 1820. His house, Grandaddy Issac's house and Uncle Joe's house still stand, not too far from the Battery.

GKC

well then shame on ya :fyi: ::):

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:08 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
GKC wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Au contraire. Six generations, at least. Why, Uncle Tommy was governor, back in 1820. His house, Granddaddy Issac's house and Uncle Joe's house still stand, not too far from the Battery.

GKC

well then shame on ya :fyi: ::):

No chicken, that's me.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:53 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
mea wrote:
Milby, Catholics can't decide what to call them. ::): Some say Protestant, some say Prots, some say Fundies

Not all Protestants are fundamentalists, on the contrary, fundamentalists are small minority of Protestants, the terms 'Protestant' and 'fundamentalist' are by no means synonymous.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:55 am 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
well istm that if you are not in the Catholic Church, you are protesting something

Nonsense, the vast majority of Protestants are not 'protesting' anything....they are Protestants because that is how they were brought up and they have never even considered the Catholic Church or been confronted with her....you might as well say that all Christians are 'protesting' Judaism...they aren't Protestant because they hate the Catholic Church.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:42 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I wouldn't touch sweet potatoes until I had the sweet potato souffle at Weaver D's in my hometown of Athens, GA. Here's the recipe and the backstory with itz; http://activerain.com/blogsview/1354823/dexter-weaver-s-sweet-potato-soufle-recipe-by-leander-mcclain

Those of you who are fans of the band REM will recognize Weaver D, aka Dexter Weaver. It's the slogan he devised for his restaurant "Automatic for the People," that the band chose as the title of one of their all-time best selling albums. You see, Michael Stipe, is also a big fan of Weaver D's! :fyi:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:49 am 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
mea wrote:
Milby, Catholics can't decide what to call them. ::): Some say Protestant, some say Prots, some say Fundies

Not all Protestants are fundamentalists, on the contrary, fundamentalists are small minority of Protestants, the terms 'Protestant' and 'fundamentalist' are by no means synonymous.

I can assure you that the vast majority of non-Catholic Christians would have a hard time discerning the difference between "Protestant" and "fundamentalist." I can say this because I was there, active and involved, from 1974 to 2010. What are your credentials? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:49 am 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
well istm that if you are not in the Catholic Church, you are protesting something

Nonsense, the vast majority of Protestants are not 'protesting' anything....they are Protestants because that is how they were brought up and they have never even considered the Catholic Church or been confronted with her....you might as well say that all Christians are 'protesting' Judaism...they aren't Protestant because they hate the Catholic Church.

I agree with Doom. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:00 pm 
King of Cool

mea wrote:
I can assure you that the vast majority of non-Catholic Christians would have a hard time discerning the difference between "Protestant" and "fundamentalist." I can say this because I was there, active and involved, from 1974 to 2010. What are your credentials? :)

Huh? I need credentials to know what a 'fundamentalist' is?

A fundamentalist is someone who follows 'the fundamentals' as laid in the 12 volume series of books published in the 1910's called, wait for it...'The Fundamentals'. Fundamentalism is a specific movement made up of specific individuals which has an origin in a specific place and time just a little more than 100 years ago.

Fundamentalism is not 'Biblical Christianity', or 'historic Christianity' or 'what Christians have always believed' but refers to a specific set of beliefs that originated a little more than 100 years ago.

Among the principles of fundamentalism are:

opposition to evolution, and possibly the advocacy of young Earth creationism

belief in a rather extreme version of 'sola scriptura' and the 'perspicacity of scripture'

Belief in a fairly extreme version of 'sola fide' which includes a belief in 'once saved always saved'

anti-Catholicism including the belief that the Pope is antichrist and often accompanied by elaborate conspiracy theories that Catholicism was 'stolen from paganism'

A complete denial of any kind of sacramentalism, including holding a purely symbolic view of the sacraments

rejection of infant baptism

etc etc etc

Fundamentalism is a very specific collection of beliefs, and is not just a generic catch all term for 'anything I happen to dislike' (even though that is how it is often used)

To most atheists and secularists anyone who believes in the existence of God is a 'fundamentalist', they even call Jews and Muslims 'fundamentalists', which is ridiculous.

That some people are idiots does not mean that the word 'fundamentalist' is without meaning, it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:00 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ghall512 wrote:
I wouldn't touch sweet potatoes until I had the sweet potato souffle at Weaver D's in my hometown of Athens, GA. Here's the recipe and the backstory with itz; http://activerain.com/blogsview/1354823/dexter-weaver-s-sweet-potato-soufle-recipe-by-leander-mcclain

Those of you who are fans of the band REM will recognize Weaver D, aka Dexter Weaver. It's the slogan he devised for his restaurant "Automatic for the People," that the band chose as the title of one of their all-time best selling albums. You see, Michael Stipe, is also a big fan of Weaver D's! :fyi:

Mine is better.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:07 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
mea wrote:

Apparently, when you caustically label large groups of people without knowing what these large groups of people are actually thinking about themselves.

Sometimes when I read what you write (and some of the other cradle Catholics, or at least those who weren't religious at all before converting) I feel like I'm reading about th way the Wizarding world in Harry Potter tries to describe what Muggles do.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:08 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
mea, your own perspective may be influencing things, too. No one would ever confuse a main-line Presbyterian or Methodist or Episcopalian with a fundamentalist, but most people would use the term "Protestant" for those groups as well as for fundamentalist groups.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

You might be interested in a previous discussion here on the forum, A Baptist Looking At Baptism:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129280&hilit=baptism+entire+household&start=20

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:16 pm 
King of Cool

mea wrote:
Doom wrote:
mea wrote:

Apparently, when you caustically label large groups of people without knowing what these large groups of people are actually thinking about themselves.

Sometimes when I read what you write (and some of the other cradle Catholics, or at least those who weren't religious at all before converting) I feel like I'm reading about th way the Wizarding world in Harry Potter tries to describe what Muggles do.

In all seriousness, you know less than nothing about my background and experience amd you are making vast, massive presumptions about me which are not only way off but which are based on which are based on absolutely nothing except your own prejudices.

There is a world of difference between 'fundamentalists' and 'mainline Protestants' like Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians or whatnot....and people who are halfway knowledgeable about Christianity are not at all likely to be confused as to the difference. And even though fundamentalism and evangelicalism have made big advances in recent decades it is still true that the vast majority of professed Protestants belong to one of the mainline denominations, and not a fundamentalist denomination.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:30 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
mea, your own perspective may be influencing things, too. No one would ever confuse a main-line Presbyterian or Methodist or Episcopalian with a fundamentalist, but most people would use the term "Protestant" for those groups as well as for fundamentalist groups.

You're probably right about my own perspective influencing things. And that's true for all of us, don't you think? :) I think that Catholics are going to be more focussed on whether a particular non-Catholic Christian is a "fundamentalist." Non-Catholic Christians don't make those distinctions. And on this forum, I've seen that term used indiscriminately and interchangeably with "evangelical," "Prots," and "Protestants." Seems as if most of y'all don't really know the difference, either. :)

At the most, I would think that of the groups you listed, many have accepted things such as same-sex marriage, abortion on demand, and more, which would separate them from the non-Catholic Christians which have kept the more "fundamental" teachings of the Bible.

I'm glad that the leaders in my parish always say non-Catholic Christians. It keeps things simple.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 5   [ 83 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next