Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Would you die for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:56 am 

Religion: Catholic
Just a thought. What if Christianity was made illegal worldwide and the penalty for practicing any form of Christianity was death. This would of course include Mass as well as adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Would you still attend Mass as well as adore our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament?

Post subject: Re: Would you die for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:29 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Interesting question. I'd like to think that I would. In a faith sharing group I belong to at church, this topic was brought up and interestingly, one of our members answered with an explanation of how she lived in the middle east when she was a teenager and until she became an adult, didn't quite understand the risk her parents took by going to Mass "underground." The punishment for being a Christian was beheading. There are plenty of people in this world today that have to attend underground Mass. I'd like to think that I would do it, but I don't really know.

Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:30 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Yes. May God give me the strength to not falter.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:14 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
MyDogma8MyKarma wrote:
Yes. May God give me the strength to not falter.

Same here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
I have prayed for the grace needed for martyrdom. I don't think that your question is out of line at all, given the demons we have in DC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:57 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Definitely.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:07 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I pray for the grace and strength to bear it. Should it come to pass that it is needful.

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

If death came quickly, I might be able to find the courage to become a martyr, but if it turned into a long process of mental and/or physical harassment, I can't see me sticking it out. Unless God gave me a boatload of grace, and a miraculous amount of consolations, I'd probably fold under the pressure. I can tolerate large amounts of pain for a very short period, but I can't tolerate even small amounts for long periods. I'm a wimp that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Whether it's quick or drawn out, no one endures martyrdom by their own strength but only through the grace of God. We have to pray for the grace, though. I find it useful to pray for that at the same time I pray for a provided for death. They're sort of paired together, and it helps me to remember.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Demotriton wrote:
Just a thought. What if Christianity was made illegal worldwide and the penalty for practicing any form of Christianity was death. This would of course include Mass as well as adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Would you still attend Mass as well as adore our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament?

Only with the help of the grace of God could I do it.

I remember as a young child in CCD when our pastor used to come into the church after the Catechism lessons we were given by housewives, and he would talk to us for about 20 minutes. It was the most interesting time of CCD and he said, more than once, that if the Lord ever asked martyrdom of us He would also give us the grace to say yes to it. (Of course we need to be on our journey to Him in prayer and Sacraments.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:27 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Logic
Questions like this reach to far. Here it is easy to say yes. Looking at the effects it would present, one would have to think "If I were to be beheaded in a Christ-less world who would teach my child?"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:24 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

By the grace of God, I hope that I would.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:13 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Puppi wrote:
Whether it's quick or drawn out, no one endures martyrdom by their own strength but only through the grace of God. We have to pray for the grace, though. I find it useful to pray for that at the same time I pray for a provided for death. They're sort of paired together, and it helps me to remember.

Fantastic answer!

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:14 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

I believe the proper answer is yes but only through the grace of God.

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Some Christians cave under intense pressure, so how can any of us assume we won't be one of them, rejecting the grace God when we're afraid for our lives or those of loved ones? I don't think anyone can be sure how they'll respond until the day of hard testing arrives.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:38 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Logic
:clap:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:40 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
beezle wrote:
Questions like this reach to far. Here it is easy to say yes. Looking at the effects it would present, one would have to think "If I were to be beheaded in a Christ-less world who would teach my child?"

Her extended family, her godmother, and she would have a martyr in heaven praying for her!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:40 pm 
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator

Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Wonderful reading on this: The Song at the Scaffold by Gertrud Von Le Fort.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

A Real-Life Story

In the town where I work as a missionary there is a contemplative monastery of nuns. Several years ago, one of the nuns was seriously injured during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. She was taking her turn at adoration when a woman came into the chapel, entered the enclosure portion of the chapel and attempted to remove the host from the monstrance.

The nun tried to prevent the woman from doing so and was sprayed in the face with some sort of chemical. She lost an eye as the result of that attack. The woman, unfortunately, escaped with a consecrated host. Later that night a woman called the monastery to tell the nuns that she had taken the host at the urging of a relative who was a Satanist and wanted a host to use in a "ritual." She assured the nuns that she had had a change of heart and consumed the host instead of handing it over to the Satanist. It was a horrible situation in every way. Physical attack, sacrilege and the loss of an eye were, IMO, extremely drastic results of the original perverted intention.

The investigation of the incident went right up to the Vatican. Our bishop had to submit a long report about what happened, why it happened and what would be done to prevent a recurrence.

Come to me all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:41 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

MR, you know, I think it would be 'easier' in one sense, to have to act so swiftly, and not with a lot of deliberate thought--you know what I mean? I am certainly NOT knocking the good sister...far from it. But I think I would be far more likely to jump in front of and try to stop someone from doing something of that sort....weak human emotional/mental faculties take over when given too much time to sit around and think about the possible outcomes, iykwim.

God willing, should they ever be needed, He will grant me the strengths and graces I need, regardless of how swiftly it comes...or not.

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 6   [ 106 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next