Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: After 75 Years Dengue Returns to US
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:23 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I am not talking about a person (and, believe me, all those chubby grey haired tourists on the cruise ships are not "screened for disease") - I am talking about a skeeter, a teeny little bug - happily flying around a mondo cruise ship. When the ship docks in Florida, the mosquito flies off the ship onto US soil.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:45 am 
Defender
Defender

Religion: Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
I am not talking about a person (and, believe me, all those chubby grey haired tourists on the cruise ships are not "screened for disease") -

They are SUPPOSED to be screened when the get the shot records updated, not when they get off the ship.

kage_ar wrote:
I am talking about a skeeter, a teeny little bug - happily flying around a mondo cruise ship. When the ship docks in Florida, the mosquito flies off the ship onto US soil.

Which shouldnt be carrying any disease if all it has been feeding on is screened tourists and staff.

"... so disillusioned keep your head down, if you do they'll never know, you'll have no answers to their questions and they will have to let you go. Disenfranchised revolution, they'll take away by right what's yours, and make you martyrs of your own cause, and they don't know what cause it's for."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:56 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
RGCheek wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
I am not talking about a person (and, believe me, all those chubby grey haired tourists on the cruise ships are not "screened for disease") -

They are SUPPOSED to be screened when the get the shot records updated, not when they get off the ship.

kage_ar wrote:
I am talking about a skeeter, a teeny little bug - happily flying around a mondo cruise ship. When the ship docks in Florida, the mosquito flies off the ship onto US soil.

Which shouldnt be carrying any disease if all it has been feeding on is screened tourists and staff.

Well if that mosquito got on board the boat from Puerto Rico, the Yucatan, etc then it could very well be carrying any number of diseases and could have already given it to those people. They then get off and get bitten by more mosquitoes who then pass it to other people.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:40 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Not only that, but people who take cruises don't tend to just stay on the ship.

And Dengue fever takes typically 4 to 7 days to manifest symptoms. And a great number of those struck with the virus are asympiomatic.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Quote:

No vaccinations or shot records of any kind are required to enter the USA as a tourist. And again, immunisation requirements for tourists are not designed to protect the country from a disease the tourist may be carrying, they are designed to protect the tourist from the diseases prevalent in the country being visited. Didn't anyone read my previous post?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Desertfalcon wrote:
Quote:

No vaccinations or shot records of any kind are required to enter the USA as a tourist. And again, immunisation requirements for tourists are not designed to protect the country from a disease the tourist may be carrying, they are designed to protect the tourist from the diseases prevalent in the country being visited. Didn't anyone read my previous post?

Yes, certainly. Indeed, based on the responses above, I find evidence that only one person didn't read it -- or at least, paid no attention to it.

I also note that two other people pointed out that there are no "shots" for dengue fever, which would mean that there are thus no such things as "shot records" for dengue fever shots. If it is any consolation, your previous post is clearly not the only one that went unread, or at least unregistered...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:09 am 
The Exterminator

No matter how you slice it we will not be having problems with Dengue or Malaria, etc. We eradicated malaria in the U.S. a long time ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:39 pm 
The Exterminator

I just read the article. :oops: I know I probably should have read it sooner. It makes many errors/exaggerations. First dengue was eradicated in the U.S. about like bedbugs were, meaning there has always been a little in one or two spots. One of those spots is Key West.

Getting worked up over 27 cases of Dengue in Key West is just laughable. We have to my recollection over a hundred cases of dengue reported every year anyway. If it gets bad they'll spray, but one of the main reasons we will not have a serious outbreak of these traditional mosquito borne diseases is that we have medical treatments for infected people that keep them from being contagious.

These stories are good for headlines and that's it. Malaria found in the U.S.! Yellow Fever found in the U.S.! and the papers fly off the racks.

Also, I think their mortality figures were far lower than actual. Though here very few would die from it. One thing to remember is that 1,000 had contracted it and never even knew.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2