Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Visiting a Gravesite - Kinda Deep Question...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:50 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Lisa1515 wrote:
I actually find cemeteries comforting. I think it is the tranquility, the calm, the quiet.

Lisa

I agree. :) I love to walk around. It's VERY peaceful and comforting. :)

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power, of love, and of self control." 2 Tim 1:7

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:45 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic, praise God
Good things for this newbie to ponder. Of course, none of my friends or family members are buried anywhere near me--they're either on the left coast or the right--but I can still learn a more correct way of thinking about the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:53 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
mea wrote:
Good things for this newbie to ponder. Of course, none of my friends or family members are buried anywhere near me--they're either on the left coast or the right--but I can still learn a more correct way of thinking about the whole thing.

When I visit a Catholic cemetary, I am visiting family. The Church suffering and the Church triumphant - we are all family.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:55 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
anawim wrote:
I never visit a grave site. The person isn't there.

But his body is. Strictly speaking the person is dead, doesn't exist anymore if you are going to take that attitude. I am emphatically not my soul. I am a single unified thing, and my soul stands to my body as the image impressed in a waxen seal does to the wax. So the person is gone, his soul hopefully with the Lord and his body with which shall rise again is in the ground. It is owed an immense, enormous dignity.

It is a very Catholic thing to do to visit cemeteries by the way, even if no relatives are there. There is nothing wrong with visiting cemeteries where ever they are regardless of whom you know is buried there. There is something distinctly uncatholic about not caring for the dead

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:56 am 
Master
Master

kage_ar wrote:
mea wrote:

When I visit a Catholic cemetary, I am visiting family. The Church suffering and the Church triumphant - we are all family.

Oh, yeah, that's right. ::makes note to self to look for Catholic cemeteries::

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:58 am 
Master
Master

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
It is a very Catholic thing to do to visit cemeteries by the way, even if no relatives are there. There is nothing wrong with visiting cemeteries where ever they are regardless of whom you know is buried there. There is something distinctly uncatholic about not caring for the dead

Well, there you go. I am learning all the time. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:59 am 

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
anawim wrote:
I never visit a grave site. The person isn't there.

But his body is. Strictly speaking the person is dead, doesn't exist anymore if you are going to take that attitude. I am emphatically not my soul. I am a single unified thing, and my soul stands to my body as the image impressed in a waxen seal does to the wax. So the person is gone, his soul hopefully with the Lord and his body with which shall rise again is in the ground. It is owed an immense, enormous dignity.

I am never closer to my deceased relatives than I am at Mass. That is where I remember them. They (if they are in heaven) surround ever altar, at every Mass, everwhere around the world. And that is distinctly Catholic.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:26 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Considering the fact that it is that body that will be resurrected, I think gravesites should be visited and respected. They are not so much worm food never to be used again.

We may not be able to visit their soul, but we can visit their body and keep their final resting place (until the Resurrection) tended.

That being said, all my relatives are buried 3000 miles away, either in the South or in New England. I know my folks visit and tend my brother's final resting place regularly - and it has been 20 years since his death.

One of my favorite Masses to go to is the one celebrated on Memorial Day at a local cemetary. It makes me feel very close to my brothers and sisters of the Early Church, who celebrated the Mass amongst their dead.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:27 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

My mother and I and all of her sisters have for years kept the tradition of going to the graves on Memorial Day, even some miles and miles away, to place flowers on the graves. Also in between each year, we have visited various gravesites and I have visited gravesites of my ancestors at various times throughout the year. I find it's a great place to find peace and quiet, and to have solitude to really think things through or to pray to those who have gone before. So, yes, we do visit, at pretty regular intervals.

http://grandmajennysattic.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:30 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I don't visit grave sites. I just never got into the habit. Part of it had to do with the fact that my mother and father moved so far away from their families so it never became a custom. It has little to do with whether the person is there or not...its just not something we did. I do believe my mom would have had we lived closer and now she is buried 500 miles away.

I can say that the graveyards back in the mountains where my family was from were scary. They were not at all peaceful or quiet and there were always these weird stories connected with them. :shock: Not at all conducive to visiting.

However I do say a prayer every time I pass a cemetery.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Roman Catholic
We try to visit the cemetery where most of our deceased relatives are twice a year; usually in the spring, which is when most seem to have died (generally around Easter, unfortunately), and once in the fall. Since that cemetery lies in between my parish and my old high school, where I drop off my sister every morning, I find it convenient to cut through the cemetery and spend some time there.

About once a year I go with Grampa to the Polish cemetery on the other side of town, where his and Gramma's relatives are buried. We usually have to do a bit of groundskeeping too, Some punks have a penchant for defacing or destroying the tombstones, and trees and weeds tend to overrun the place.

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:11 pm 
Crazy Kitteh Lady
Crazy Kitteh Lady

Thanks to everyone so far for the replies.

I had a very busy r--- l--- thingie today so didn't have much time to post.

I glow, therefore I am.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I don't do it very often, but when I do, something feels very respectful about it. I certainly wouldn't discourage it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 pm 
DCF Poet Laureate

Greetings;

....My wife and I go often.Instead of paying lips service for the favors,we
do something physical and planty.To us,appreciation is verbal,and
gratitute is costly.

by(e)tutitarg

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2