Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 6   [ 110 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rock
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 am 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
Candlemass wrote:
Lust and violence were around long before there was rock music, rock seems to get the rap for all manner of evil, a popular scapegoat.

The studies do not suggest what you have suggested nor do I. However, since at least Plato, it has been understood that certain kinds of music work in tandem with certain emotions and in fact encourage them. So, if you wish to lust after your wife or husband or anyone else for that matter Rock and its derivatives will be most helpful. If you wish to beat the snot out of someone rock will help you work up the passion to do that. If you wish to be reverent listening to reverential music will help you do that.

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:02 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Christian
I hear what your sellin', but I'm not buyin'!

No one needs any help to lust or be violent, this is nonsence!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 am 
Master
Master

Let me recant a bit here, I'll grant you that if someone is given to violence Metallica and Slayer will probably fuel that. Someone like myself who is given to lust may find certain types of music will stimulate that as well. However it does not affect everyone the same way. There is certain rock music that I no longer listen to because it does affect me that way, but I'm not going to make it law for everyone. Most of it has been the lyrical content for me, I do pay attention to the lyrics, it is what is most important to me in a song.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:39 am 
Master
Master

I listen to mostly christian rock/metal now, yea I know most of you here have a profound disdain for that, I don't care. Like I said, it is the lyrics that do it for me. I will admit that there have been certain beats/rythyms that have stirred lustful thoughts w/in me. However that is because I heard that type of music in the strip clubs and night clubs and watched the women dancing seductivly to it, so I made the association. Before I began to indulge my lust, none of that music had such an affect on me.

Last edited by Candlemass on Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:58 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I don't think you're understanding the point. Music has an effect on people's moods. Agree or disagree?

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:26 pm 
Master
Master

Bombadil wrote:
I don't think you're understanding the point. Music has an effect on people's moods. Agree or disagree?

Agree.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
Some of you all sound like the hellfire and brimstone Baptist and non-denominational preachers around here.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:06 pm 
Defender
Defender

Carole wrote:
Some of you all sound like the hellfire and brimstone Baptist and non-denominational preachers around here.

Perhaps they stumbled onto a truth. As I said in the OP, I admit to my sin of liking some of this music. If you do or if you don't it's not my business.

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:16 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Athanasius wrote:
Carole wrote:

Perhaps they stumbled onto a truth. As I said in the OP, I admit to my sin of liking some of this music. If you do or if you don't it's not my business.

CDL

I don't think they've stumbled onto a truth at all. I think they are full of rubbish.

Some of the music we listen to today and label as Classical and deem appropriate was considered scandalous at the time. It's just music and most of it means less than nothing.

Listening to music, even rock n' roll is not a sin. Personally, I think that many of the people I know (as in, in real life) who "confess to the sin" of liking rock (or jazz or country or R&B ...) are quite possibly dealing with scrupulosity.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 pm 
Master
Master

I agree w/Carole, it's a case by case thing. What might be sin here for some may not be for another. Perhaps there will be a time when I can listed to this or that and it not affect me, perhaps not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm 
Master
Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RtJ9GOxDs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:08 pm 
Defender
Defender

Candlemass wrote:
I agree w/Carole, it's a case by case thing. What might be sin here for some may not be for another. Perhaps there will be a time when I can listed to this or that and it not affect me, perhaps not.

Why on earth would either of you listen to any music if it did not affect your mood. What both of you have said is a load of rubbish.

CDL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:13 pm 
Master
Master

What I said is there may be a time cetain music does not affect my mood in a negative way, I never said it didn't affect my mood at all. Much of the rock and metal music I listen to does not affect it in a negative way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Athanasius wrote:
Candlemass wrote:

Why on earth would either of you listen to any music if it did not affect your mood. What both of you have said is a load of rubbish.

CDL

I didn't say music doesn't affect my mood. Though, truth be told, more often my mood affects my music choices - listening to a cheerful song when I am in a bad mood will not cheer me up nor will listening to a depressing song bring me down if I am in a good mood. I choose music that suits the mood I am already in.

But I digress.

My point is that the music is simply not that important. I just don't see that listening to the majority of music (rock or otherwise) is a sin. In my real life experiences the only people I have met who have held the opinion that listening to current/modern music is a sin suffer from scrupulosity.

The idea that rock n' roll is "of the devil" or sinful is, in my opinion, absurd.

Particularly given the fact that much of the music that is considered "Classical" and acceptable by the same internet pundits who pronounce Rock to be the devil's music was considered unacceptable or influenced by Satan in its time.

I think people give far too much credit to Rock n Roll. Sinfulness, lust, greed, anger, hatred, pride, arrogance ... all of these sins existed before Rock came along and they will exist long after it has gone.

It's just music.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:00 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I KNOW....ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL BUT I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachment:
RST.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What will I do for Christ?

ad majoram dei gloriam
William

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:10 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Rock and Roll did not create the era in which we live. rather it is a product of our times. If there is a problem with it - it is because there is a problem with our times.

We enjoy it because we too are a product of our times.

This too shall pass.

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:18 pm 
Master
Master

Ancient Oracle wrote:
Rock and Roll did not create the era in which we live. rather it is a product of our times. If there is a problem with it - it is because there is a problem with our times.

This too shall pass.

You are #6! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Candlemass wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:

This too shall pass.

I am not a number. I am a free man!

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 pm 
Master
Master

Ancient Oracle wrote:

I am not a number. I am a free man![/quote]

::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::):

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Candlemass wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:

I am not a number. I am a free man!

::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::):[/quote]

Who is number 1?

Whose side are you on?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 6   [ 110 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next