Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anti-Cathite?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:34 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Christian
This guy on myspace has hit me up a few times about how I'm in a false religion, he has been threatening to post a blog about the RCC for some time now, he finally did. Much of it I can rather easily take apart myself, some of it I'm not so sure of. I'd like to be more prepared to defend the Church so I thought I'd post his blog here to get some feedback from some of you.

"Roman Catholic Christian... An Oxymoron"

"Is a Roman Catholic truly a Christian or should the combination of the words "Roman Catholic Christian" be considered an oxymoron?

Webster defines an oxymoron as "a combination of contradictory words." So if we define a "Christian" as one who believes the gospel and a "Roman Catholic" as one who believes the official teachings and traditions of Roman Catholicism, me must conclude that a "Roman Catholic Christian" is indeed an oxymoron. It is utterly impossible to believe two opposing views simultaneously. Biblical Christianity and Roman Catholicism stand in opposition to one another as seen by the following contrasts (paragraph numbers in parenthesis, are from the new Catechism of the Catholic Church, San Francisco, California: Ignatius Press, 1994).

A Christian believes Scripture has authority over the church. "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16)

A Roman Catholic is taught its church has authority over Scripture. "The manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgment of the church which exercises the divinely conferred commission and ministry of watching over and interpreting the Word of God" (119).

A Christian is born again by the Word of God and of the Spirit of God. "For you have been born again, not of seed which is imperishable, that is, through the living and abiding Word of God; so is everyone who is born of the spirit" (1 Peter 1:23, 3:8).

A Roman Catholic is born again by water. "The water of baptism truly signifies our birth into the divine life" (694).

A Christian is ETERNALLY justified once through faith in Jesus Christ. "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness (Romans 4:5, 8:30).

A Roman Catholic must be justified REPEATEDLY by works and sacraments because "mortal" sins bring condemnation. "Those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell" (1035). "The sacrifice of penance offers a new possibility to convert and recover the grace of justification" (1446).

A Christian is saved by Gods UNMERITED grace. "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9).

A Roman Catholic is saved by MERITING the graces needed for salvation. "We can merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for... the attainment of eternal life" (2010).

A Christian is saved FOR Good works. "For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10).

A Roman Catholic is saved BY good works. A treasury of prayers and good works makes it possible for Catholics to attain their own salvation and at the same time cooperate in saving their brothers (1477).

A Christian believes salvation is in Jesus Christ. "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace" (Ephesians 1:7).

A Roman Catholic believes salvation is in the Roman Catholic Church. "The counsel teaches that the church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation. Anyone refusing to enter it or remain in it cannot be saved (846). (how sad!)

A Christian is purified ONLY by the blood of Jesus. "The blood of Jesus purifies us from all sin" (1 John 1:7)

A Roman Catholic is purified by the fires of Purgatory. "After death they undergo purification [in Purgatory], so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven" (1030).

A Christian believes the Lord's supper is a memorial of Christ's finished work. "Do this in remembrance of Me" (1 Corinthians 11:24-25)

A Roman Catholic believes the Lord's supper is a sacrifice of Christ that continues the word of redemption. "The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice... the same Christ who offered Himself once in a bloody manner on the alter of the cross is contained and offered in an unbloody manner... for the sins of the living and the dead" (1367, 1414).

A Christian recieves Jesus PERMANENTLY, spiritually in the heart. "God put His spirit in our hearts as a guarantee" (2 Corinthians 1:22).

A Roman Catholic recieves Jesus FREQUENTLY, physically in the stomach. The body and blood, together with the soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ... is truly, really, and substantially contained" in the Eucharist (1374-78)

A Christian is a priest and a saint. You are a "royal priesthood", a people for Gods own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him that called you out of darkness in to His marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:9, Ephesians 1:1, 2 Corinthians 1:1).

A Roman Catholic needs a priest and is not a saint unless canonized by the pope. "In the forgiveness of sins, both preists and sacraments are instruments which our Lord Jesus Christ...wills to use to efface our sins and give us the grace of justification" (987).

A Christian is condemned by the Roman Catholic Church. The counsels of Trent and Vatican II pronounced over 100 anathemas on Christians who believe the Gospel of Christ. The anathemas are still in effect today.

A Roman Catholic is condemned by God's Word. "He who rejects me and does not recieve my sayings, he One who judges him; The word I spoke is what will judge him on the last day" (John 12:48). "If any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you recieved let him be accursed" (Galatians 1:9).

In conclusion, it is clear that a Christian, who has believed God's Word, has the assurance of eternal life. A Roman Catholic, who has rejected God's Word in favor of the teachings of men, has only a false hope of being saved from God's wrath. While there may be born-again Christians who worship in the Roman Catholic Church, by definition they are no longer Roman Catholics. Eventually the Spirit of Truth (the Holy Spirit) will lead them out when they begin discerning truth from error and true worship from Idolatry.

It is our prayer that God may grant Roman Catholics repentance, leading to the knowledge of the truth, that they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil (2 Timothy 2:25-26).

Proclaiming the Gospel, 2001
www.pro-gospel.org

(My comment)

My dear Roman Catholic friends who read this, please read this and consider what is being said with open eyes to the Word of God as the only authority and source of truth. I hope and pray that the holy spirit would grant you discernment and that you would see the false religion of Roman of Catholicism is a deceiving, soul damning religion. These are false doctrines of demons that are leading many men and women to a false sense of salvation and ultimately to Hell because they are not trusting Gods saving Grace by the FINISHED work of Christ on the cross! Christ's death and shed blood on the cross is the only propitiation (satisfaction) of Gods wrath that we deserve. The bible tells us we all have sinned and fallen short of Gods glory and that is is by faith, through the regenerating work of the holy spirit, that we are saved.

Christ is God and the final atonement for our sins, place your trust in Him alone for your salvation. When Jesus died on the cross, he said "It is finished!" which means the work is done and not one drop of His blood was in vain. Now Christ has ascended to full glory at the right hand of the Father in heaven. Remember, All scripture is given by inspiration of God and it alone is our source of authority, not the traditions of the church. All our good deeds are like filthy rags to the Lord. We are saved by grace ALONE, through faith ALONE, to the glory of God ALONE (Soli Deo Gloria).

Grace and Peace in Christ alone,
-Jason"

Post subject: Re: Anti-Cathite?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:55 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Just pray for him. Most of what he's posted is easily rebutted or refuted, but he won't see or hear. He's not open to the truth.

You can invite him here and I'll add him to the apologetics forum, but I don't hold out much hope for people like him unless he gets hit by a Holy 2X4.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:05 pm 
Master
Master

He's being spoon-fed rhetoric by men like James White and John MacArthur, I'm not even sure if he has his own opinion. I believed some of this stuff myself, untill I began to investigate for myself. I've seen Dave Armstrong debate James White a few times on line, not sure how fruitful it is, White throws the rules of debate out the window!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:23 pm 

White's still not over his sister's conversion I don't think. I hope they have finally reconciled though.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:55 pm 
Suspended at request of user
Suspended at request of user

Candlemass wrote:
He's being spoon-fed rhetoric by men like James White and John MacArthur, I'm not even sure if he has his own opinion. I believed some of this stuff myself, untill I began to investigate for myself. I've seen Dave Armstrong debate James White a few times on line, not sure how fruitful it is, White throws the rules of debate out the window!

What's up with the ghoulish avatar?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Rome2Home wrote:
Candlemass wrote:

That's a picture of Candlemass. :? He's a performer by trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:29 pm 
Master
Master

Signum Crucis wrote:

That's a picture of Candlemass. :? He's a performer by trade.[/quote]

Actually, he's a poser by trade......"The Great Pretender!" 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 pm 
Master
Master

St Veronica wrote:
White's still not over his sister's conversion I don't think. I hope they have finally reconciled though.

SV

Last time I heard they have not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:25 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I like your new avatar.