Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can a person forgive themself?
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:11 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I thought that a long while back that question was posed on the board and the general consensus was that no, a person cannot forgive himself. He/she can forgive others who sin against them but he cannot forgive himself.

Last night I was watching a tv show where protestants were talking about how people need to forgive themselves of sins they have committed if they are to find true happiness. I guess that struck me as being odd since if we have the power to forgive ourselves then why ask God for forgiveness? Why have confession? Am I on the right thinking track or am I wrong here. Can people actually forgive themselves?

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Jesus, Divine Mercy, I trust in you

Post subject: Re: Can a person forgive themself?
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:20 pm 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
When you get absolution for a sin God forgives you. You are required to forgive yourself too. If you don't you'll go crazy.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
I remember hearing a talk on forgiveness by a priest and he did touch on the subject of forgiving ourselves.

He certainly did not say that the Sacrament of Reconciliation was not necessary. What he explained is that some people, who have already made their peace with God in the confessional, go over and over in their minds their sins, many times for years, getting down and depressed about them.

The priest was telling us that we have to forgive ourselves because God already has, and just move on, thankfully.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:24 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

I think the term "forgiving oneself" is being used equivocally here. Two different things are being talked about here. One cannot absolve themselves from the guilt they have before God. But that is not what is meant when people talk about forgiving themselves.

What is meant is that sometimes people tend to not be able to come to terms with the fact that they have sinned or done something wrong or they cannot accept that God can or has forgiven them. A person may have seriously hurt another, Offended God, or even messed up their own life in some way. At times, people will hang on to this fact and beat themselves up with it so to speak or allow it to continually afflict them. Scrupulous people, for instance, are one group that this happens to. A scrupulous person will often endlessly berate themselves for a sin committed long ago.

What is meant by forgiving oneself is accepting God's forgiveness and allowing yourself to see yourself as God does...as a sinner redeemed by Christ and forgiven by him.

Spiritual writers give various causes for the inability to forgive oneself. It can come from a lack of trust in God or a lack of belief that He can heal you and forgive you, it can come from pride in that we can't come to terms with the fact that we have really sinned, it can come from a unhealthy self hatred of oneself (hence people who have been abused or hurt badly in some way can have trouble with this), scrupulosity or a false sense of contrition, etc.

Anyway, forgiving oneself might be better termed "allowing God to forgive you and to see yourself as He sees you".

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic former Methodist
aventure (Bon) wrote:
I think the term "forgiving oneself" is being used equivocally here. Two different things are being talked about here. One cannot absolve themselves from the guilt they have before God. But that is not what is meant when people talk about forgiving themselves.

I think you're right.

"The Catholic Church is the only thing which saves a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age.... I know that Catholicism is too large for me, and I have not yet explored its beautiful or terrible truths...." (GKC, The Catholic Church and Conversion Chapter V. "The Exception Proves The Rule")

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:42 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
When we sin we have the possibility of offending 3 parties. God, others, and oneself.

Let us say that you stole something. To be absolved of this sin you must go to confession and have God forgive you. To make things right you would have to return the item or the value of the item to the person whose goods you stole. This person may or may not forgive you, but this has nothing to do with God's forgiveness although if they do not forgive you, they may be comitting a sin. By entering into sin, you have offended yourself. You have taken yourself where you should not go. You must forgive yourself or you will continue to beat yourself up. Whether you forgive yourself or not does not affect God's forgiveness of you for that particular sin, but if you do not forgive yourself it may lead to committing another sin.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:42 pm 
Master
Master

aventure (Bon) wrote:

What is meant is that sometimes people tend to not be able to come to terms with the fact that they have sinned or done something wrong or they cannot accept that God can or has forgiven them. A person may have seriously hurt another, Offended God, or even messed up their own life in some way. At times, people will hang on to this fact and beat themselves up with it so to speak or allow it to continually afflict them. Scrupulous people, for instance, are one group that this happens to. A scrupulous person will often endlessly berate themselves for a sin committed long ago.

What is meant by forgiving oneself is accepting God's forgiveness and allowing yourself to see yourself as God does...as a sinner redeemed by Christ and forgiven by him.

Spiritual writers give various causes for the inability to forgive oneself. It can come from a lack of trust in God or a lack of belief that He can heal you and forgive you, it can come from pride in that we can't come to terms with the fact that we have really sinned, it can come from a unhealthy self hatred of oneself (hence people who have been abused or hurt badly in some way can have trouble with this), scrupulosity or a false sense of contrition, etc.

Anyway, forgiving oneself might be better termed "allowing God to forgive you and to see yourself as He sees you".

In a much more eloquent fashion then I would have.

If I remember correctly; Luther struggled with this. His guilt would make him crazy enough to torture his body.

To not forgive yourself as explained by aventure is denying the power of what Christ did for us.

He truly forgives us and sees us differently and so should we.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:13 pm 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
Like I said you'll go crazy.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:48 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd degree KofC
DesertSailor wrote:
Like I said you'll go crazy.

I agree.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
Quote:
Can a person forgive themself?

[nitpick] No, Absolutely not! A person may be able to forgive himself, or if she is female, herself. However, a person (singular) cannot forgive themself (plural). It ain't proper grammar. :D [/nitpick]

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Learner wrote:
Quote:
Can a person forgive themself?

[nitpick] No, Absolutely not! [/nitpick]

I actually had a priest at a Cursillo say the following:

"People are always saying, 'I just can't forgive myself!' to which I reply, 'Of course you can't, only God can, that's why there's confession and you need to come see me!'"

What people are talking about is not forgiveness, but how they feel about themself due to their sin. Sometimes the hardest thing is to accept the forgiveness God offers. Some, like Judas, reject it by never asking for it, believing themself such a sinner that God cannot forgive them; this is the sin against the Holy Spirit, in one of it's manifestations. Others, reject it by not believing it and acting on it.

That feeling which some describe as "I can't forgive myself" can make you a saint, if you accept it as the just consequence of your sin, and, accepting God's forgiveness, work to give back to God the restitution for the evil done. An excellent example of this is Bl. Carino, the hit-man who murdered St. Peter Martyr.

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The M Word wrote:
When we sin we have the possibility of offending 3 parties. God, others, and oneself.

I agree with this. Only the party who is hurt is the one who can forgive. As far as our eternal salvation, the only offended party that needs to do the forgiving is God. This is why people were so shocked when Jesus publicly proclaimed peoples sins were forgiven that had not directly involved an offense against him that they knew of. We do hurt ourselves when we sin as well and this is the only part that we can forgive. We should always keep in mind I think that the hurt to ourselves is secondary.

I think sometimes having difficulty forgiving ourselves may be part of our penance for sin, it can be cleansing and sanctifying. Forgiving others, Forgiving yourself, and being forgiven by others are all good things as well but only as long as this forgiveness is tempered by justice. You can forgive the drunk driver who killed your son, but that does not mean you have to help him to get off easier, it simply means you don't want to murder and spit on him. If you go around doing all kinds of evil things and you forgive yourself with out feeling guilty there is something very very wrong. You hear people do this, even Catholic's, when they defend their behavior or attitudes with the claim of "Hey, I am not perfect." Sorry, but that is no defense and not a reason not to feel guilty. Feeling guilt is not always a bad thing as it is necessary for repentance. Feeling guilty doesn't mean you have not been forgiven. Should the drunk driver immediately feel no guilt because the parents forgave him? Is that the reason he wants their forgiveness? If he still feels guilty was their forgiveness meaningless? Confession I do not think should be expected to wipe out all feelings of guilt, but it should certainly help and offer hope.

YOU ARE NOT WHAT YOU OWN!- Fugazi