Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: An Epiphany custom - do you do this?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I realize that we are just getting into Advent now, but in order to let people who might be moved to adopt this practice have the necessary time to make arrangements, I shall bring this up now.

There is a fine Epiphany custom that my parish observes, and that I had not been aware of for most of my life because I had never seen it done before. I refer to the "Proclamation of the Date of Easter", as well as of all the other movable feasts of the Church year. As described by the Ceremonial of Bishops, #240, :
Quote:
After the singing of the gospel reading, depending on local custom, one of the deacons or someone else, vested in cope, will go to the lectern and there announce to the people the movable feasts of the coming year.

(Information about the music to be used for the chant may be found here: http://www.canticanova.com/planning/year-b/plnec_m.htm )

When one sees this done for several years in a row, the impression that one gets is of the Church liturgical year moving constantly like a giant turning wheel, yet always in an orderly and regular fashion. It is both amusing and yet solemn, and it ties the congregation into the endless march of time for the universal church in a way that I find moving. Does anyone else see this done in his or her parish? And if not, will you think of introducing the practice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:38 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I have never seen it done. Sounds cool.

I used to work for a pastor who would chant the martyrology at the Christmas Midnight Mass. But even the Martyrology is seldom even recited, at least in my neck of the woods.

I will look this up. We prob'ly wouldn't be able to do it at my current parish. At least not this year. They're not ready; a lot of them get just a little bent out of shape if we chant the Lord's Prayer or the Agnus Dei.

If we did the above, most of them would just go...

'Whuh????'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Our bishop releases a festival letter for the new year, setting out all the dates of the major feasts, and also containing some sort of exhortation.

Need something to read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:49 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

FotBG wrote:
I will look this up. We prob'ly wouldn't be able to do it at my current parish. At least not this year. They're not ready; a lot of them get just a little bent out of shape if we chant the Lord's Prayer or the Agnus Dei.

When the Spanish-speaking priest at a parish nearby does English daily mass, we chant the Agnus Dei in Latin. He has a beautiful singing voice and is as comfortable (if not more, it seems) with Latin as he is with English. I love it. :)

Dani

During His trials Our Lord would not respond to the chief priests (Mt 14:61), or Herod (Lk 23:9) or Pilate (Jn 19:9). Words had failed. All that could penetrate those hardened hearts was the witness of divine love, the offering of His life to the Father. So also for us — when words fail the greatest way to “win” an argument is by acts of love. - Fr. Paul Scalia

There is no law about nougatine. - Chef Stephane Glacier

Last edited by Danielle on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 pm 

AFAIK, it's only done at the Vigil or Midnight Mass. Since I've only been to the Midnight Mass once in my life, that's to the best of my knowledge.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:38 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

anawim wrote:
AFAIK, it's only done at the Vigil or Midnight Mass. Since I've only been to the Midnight Mass once in my life, that's to the best of my knowledge.

Anawim, I think you are talking about the chanting of the review of history from the Martyrology on Christmas. The chant I am talking of is something different -- an announcement made on the feast of the Epiphany regarding what the precise dates of Ash Wednesday, Easter Sunday, andthe other movable feasts will be during the coming year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:44 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Wow, that's rather unique. How cool is that.

Maybe I should find a way to visit your church on epiphany.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:20 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

sparky wrote:
Wow, that's rather unique. How cool is that.

Maybe I should find a way to visit your church on epiphany.
--Ann

You should, Ann -- the mass with the choir at which this is done is the 11:15, and young Father Joel (who in addition to a nice tenor voice has a graduate degree in music from Oxford!) usually is the one who does it.

The usually chalk the traditional Epiphany C-B-M that day on the lintel of the church door, too :D

The Brooklyn Oratory/St Boniface is on Duffield Street near the corner of Willoughby. It is two blocks from the Brooklyn end of the Manhattan Bridge if you drive it, and one block from the Lawrence Street station of the R if you take the subway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:50 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Yep, our parish does this too. Just found out tonight in RCIA. So happy I read this thread earlier so I knew what Fr. was talking about!