Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:50 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

yes I will I know that, I just think it is so sad that he sees the reason that people are upset as wearing the costumes Sunday Post Halloween. Not the fact that the costumes were worn.

Prayers For Luukas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:08 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Religion: Catholic
IF you want, post your reply here before you send it out. :) I'd be happy to help write it.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: OCDS
I looked at the video, then read some of their old bulletins. I quit when I read about the beau-ti-ful Bechstein 9'2" Concert Grand Piano which is superior to a Steinway and are found "only in the finest of concert halls or in the homes of very serious musicians (and only those whose success has allowed them to afford such an investment!)" Obviously they rate more than that.

Personally, I don't like the looks, from what I could see, of the church....

oh. I wonder what a Beach Mass is? Did they come in swimwear?

Scary, very scary.

Definately not my cup of tea.

Kel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:13 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

apage satana means "go away, Satan."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:23 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

My priest actually referenced this video in his homily today (during the TLM). He told us NOT to go look it up, cause it would likely lead us into sin (anger, and the things we would think about doing, etc).

:)

I had already seen it/read all about it.

I found it appalling.

Blech

And to think people are supporting this?!?

Sheesh

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:09 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Forgive them Father , They know not what they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:17 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
From the Nov. 19th Bulletin at Corpus Christi:

Quote:
November 8, 2006

Dear Bishop Brown:

Since 1998, when we first began celebrating liturgies here in Aliso Viejo, a particular dynamic has always been the youthfulness of our community with an obvious abundance of children. With this in mind, many of our programs have been developed to be of service to them and it was in this spirit that we began inviting children to wear their Halloween costumes to the Masses on the weekend prior to Halloween. Many parents inquired if they too could wear costumes so as to make it a family event, and thus, a Halloween tradition of having parishioners in costume at Mass was born. Based on our Catholic-Christian grounding of faith in Jesus Christ, we know that the assorted costumes of Halloween are a manner of poking fun and holding up to the light of Christ’s Resurrection the things that may have once frightened us.

I am aware that my enthusiasm for our family celebration of Halloween has caused me to neglect my pastoral duties of providing appropriate direction and instruction to our people regarding appropriate/inappropriate costumes. Prior to the weekend of October 28-29 I failed to adequately instruct our assorted liturgical ministers as to what might be appropriate apparel for their ministry. Because of this oversight on my part, we had some lay ministers of communion attired in devil horns and assorted other costumes that, in hindsight, I could easily have prevented if I had been more attentive to my pastoral duties. Bishop Brown, I stress to you the goodness and faith-filled integrity of the ministers who were so attired, they are some of our most involved and faithful members. They accepted me at my word in regards to their costume making fun of fearful things, and would be mortified to think that they gave offense to people of good faith. The lay ministers are innocent of any wrongdoing, the offense is mine and I take full responsibility.

I realize that my pastoral neglect and lack of prudent judgment has caused great concern and offense to many in the Church. I have given my life as a priest to the Church of the Diocese of Orange and it causes me great pain to realize that my lapse in judgment could so easily transform a wonderful family tradition into something questionable and repugnant to people of good faith. From my heart I apologize to you and to the larger community of the faithful for my pastoral neglect. I await your counsel and assistance in determining an appropriate manner of making amends for this matter.

Sincerely,
Reverend Fred K. Bailey

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:30 am 
Vegemite Queen Moderator
Vegemite Queen Moderator

Quote:
Bishop Brown, I stress to you the goodness and faith-filled integrity of the ministers who were so attired, they are some of our most involved and faithful members. They accepted me at my word in regards to their costume making fun of fearful things, and would be mortified to think that they gave offense to people of good faith.

faith filled people don't want to dress up as a devil. :verymad: :verymad:

formerly Aussiemum07

My Blog: Aussie Coffee Shop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:42 am 

:clap: well done.

I think the best way to make amends is to properly (re) instruct the layity of that parish about the Mass and to stop wearing costumes to Mass!

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:07 am 
Suspended at request of user
Suspended at request of user

Religion: RC
I think that Fr. Bailey's letter to the Bishop was sincere. He does not seem to be a renegade priest. His explanation of the devil horns, although plausible, was a serious lapse in in foresight on his part, which he does seem to recognize. Hopefully, he will learn that the "Halloween Mass" should be retired permanently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:13 am 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

Well, if it was intended for the kids, I think my suggestion of focusing it on the saints is more appropriate. But I agree, making it go away is the best.
--Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:45 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
David Hopkins wrote:
I think that Fr. Bailey's letter to the Bishop was sincere. He does not seem to be a renegade priest. His explanation of the devil horns, although plausible, was a serious lapse in in foresight on his part, which he does seem to recognize. Hopefully, he will learn that the "Halloween Mass" should be retired permanently.

According to his letter to Bishop Brown, Father Bailey is awaiting instruction and counsel from him. Let us hope and pray that Bishop Brown will give good counsel.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3