Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Standing after "Lord I am not worthy...."
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:01 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
We are not attending what I believe to mass at a church where the priest strives to be obedient to the faith and Church and the rules. Everything by the book as far as I can tell. One part has me confused though.

We kneel for the Eucharistic Prayer as we should. We then stand of course fo the Our Father (no hand holding) , Sign of Peace (no jumping across aisles, priest stays on the altar), and the Lamb of God....

Then we kneel for "This is the Lamb of God....." and our response "Lord I am not worthy..."
After which the priests, deacons, and EMHC's receive. Then everyone stands up. This threw me. The first couple of time me and my family remained kneeling as has been our experience in most places (except for the ones that don't kneel at all :roll: ). A very few others stayed kneeling as well, but by far, most everyone stood up at this point. Coming back from communion, some that were standing now kneel, some stay standing.

I believe I am correct that the GIRM states that the posture AFTER receiving is not dictated and that we can sit stand or kneel, thought I think most of us are accustomed to kneeling. But what just before?

We asked someone that has been going there for some time and their explaination (second hand) is that this is what the GIRM calls for and the priest explained this to the congregation and that the reason has something to do with all of us having the same posture as a sign of communion. IOW, some are up there receiving so obviously they are standing so those of us back in the pews should be standing as well so that we are all together posture-wise. That is the reason behind the GIRM rule.

Is this the correct interpretation of the GIRM for this point in the mass or is it debateable or what? I haven't had a change to ask the priest yet and before I do I would like to get a bit more informed. Like I said he seems to be pretty sharp about wanting to do things by the book so I don't see any reason to not give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. And as such, we have been standing with the rest at this point in the mass for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Sounds like an "over-application" (for lack of a better term), but that's just me.

For example, if you were the only person at Mass that day, then of course, right after that part is said, you'd stand up and go receive.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me to have the entire congregation stand at that point because, obviously, the folks in the back are just going to stand there as they wait until it's time for them to get in line. ....Actually, it makes about as much sense as having the entire congregation remain standing once they return to the pew until everyone is finished.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an abuse... but it just seems awkward to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:31 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I kneel til the pew two ahead of me starts to empty (small church, short pews).

Rachel

I want to be like Mrs B when I grow up!
I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:41 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

The girm is very unclear in many areas about gestures, and even leaves it up to the local bishop for some gestures. This makes things very difficult for uniformity.

peace