Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:02 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Here is another link to resources for singing the Mass.

Quote:
Liturgical Music for the Priest and Deacon: Presidential Prayers
A how-to book produced in 1993 for the deacons of Saint Meinrad School of Theology. Teaches various tones (easy to difficult) for all the presidential prayers of the Eucharist. Audio tape included. $15.00

And the link:
http://www.saintmeinrad.edu/monastery_l ... ducts.aspx

Look in the third column of listings in the gray area and click on "Presidential Prayers."

I know some priests who have used this particular resource. I have also used St. Meinrad's edition of the Exultet and sung Gospels for Good Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:07 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
We have a wonderful elderly deacon with a very rough, gravel-y voice, who always sings "Let us proclaim the mystery of faith." Then the pianist plays 4 chords (to get us back in tune, maybe) and the congregation sings "Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again." I love LOVE that the deacon sings the intro, even though his voice is so bad.

"Do whatever He tells you." John 2:5

For our little ones in need of prayer.

http://knockingeverywhere.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:57 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I would rather a priest sing badly. We have one who does that. I approve.

TP wrote:
Greetings,

Apparently I keep switching pitches. I don't really even know what that means.

peace

I know; I want to sing, but I don't have any idea what the jargon means. :(

It's better in Latin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:39 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

My priest does not sing any of his parts at all, and it makes me sad. I would rather have it sung, even poorly, than not at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

You know, as important as music is in the Catholic faith, you would think that we would learn at some point HOW to sing.

So many of us would love to sing loudly joyfully....and in tune. Alas, I can't carry a tune. And many I speak to say the same thing, they sing, but they know they sing terribly.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

Post subject: Re: Sung Mass
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
TP wrote:
Greetings,

Musicam Sacram assumes that the mass will be sung and calls for all the dialog parts between the priest and the congregation to be sung before other mass parts are sung. Does any of your priests sing all his parts? If they do, are their any priests that you know of with TERRIBLE voices who still sing all the parts? Everything I read says I should be singing the mass, but I am not trained and I am very bad. Would you rather have the priest follow what is called for a sing poorly OR not sing.

The goal seems to be to SING THE MASS rather than SING AT MASS.

peace

Padre,
For what it's worth, the only time I ever heard the novus ordo sung (or at least parts of it) was on EWTN... and I saw at least a couple times with some visiting priests/bishops that their singing/chanting was pretty bad. Some, even if they had had some training, seemed absolutely tone deaf.

I've also heard some pretty bad chant from priests doing the TLM.

(EDIT: about the novus ordo... I just recalled that I heard a lot of priests chant the "through Him, with Him, in Him..." .... some good, some bad...)

But I'll say this.... it never bothered me that a priest had a bad voice when chanting any part of the Mass. If there was bad voice/chant, it neither enriched nor degraded(?) my Mass experience. The priest is called to sing/chant the Mass -- I think it should just be understood that some people can sing better than others.
Maybe I was a little proud at the bad singers/chanters because I realized that some of them KNEW they were bad at singing/chanting, but they did it anyway because that's what's called for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:42 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Greetings,

When I was young, early 70s, every mass was sung. I still have the tunes echoing in my head.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Orthodox
TP wrote:
Greetings,

Every time the lottery gets over 200 million, I buy one ticket if I can remember. That means I normally spend 1 dollar every year or so on this 'Stupid Tax'. I was day dreaming today, because I bought my one ticket a year, and I thought what would I do with the money. I would teach Music and chant from the first day of catholic school so they would understand.

There was a lot of others things, but that was one.

peace

Fortunately Orthodox seminaries still require chant instruction. However, there is a problem in that many of the boys heading off to seminary have had inadquate training as the parishes don't always chant as much as they should. The priests chant (our priest has a gorgeous voice, but he's retiring in November after some 54 years in the priesthood), but many parishes rely on fancy choral music where, IMNSHO, it does not belong, so the end result is a general lack of familiarity with chanting. Further, many of the readers are simply readers and not really trained Psaltis, and the main chanted service of Orthros is not very well attended. Lots of contributing factors.

At any rate, the chant class I'm in was started to prep one of our two seminary students (the other one I guess didn't feel it necessary) prior to departing for seminary. He is going to seminary in Thessaloniki (The thought of attending seminary in such a Biblical location is so cool), and the expectation there is that people coming in are already schooled in chant. Fortunately, we have a Psalti here in San Diego who was trained by the former (I think he left) Protopsalti of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. That's the other piece of the puzzle in Orthodoxy. Chanting is a tradition which is most appropriately passed down from one chanter to another. There are books, and you can learn from them, but the subtleties of the art are best passed down.

Now that I've digressed in multiple different directions, I'll cease. :)

For from the rising of the sun even to its going down, My name has been glorified among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered to My name, and a pure offering, for My name shall be great among the Gentiles, says the Lord Almighty. (Malachi 1:11, LXX)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:37 pm 
Tazer Queen
Tazer Queen

TP - I'd sing out and let God sort it out.

;) Don't be shy.
--Ann

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2