Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:28 pm 
Offline
DCF Poet Laureate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:13 pm
Posts: 8309
Religion: Catholic
Greetings:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harry-pott ... l-spirits/

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception,"

bye

_________________
Proceeds from the Polo Tournament will be towards the building of stairs for the peasants' stands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:10 pm 
Offline
Majesty
Majesty
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:00 pm
Posts: 10787
Location: Austin metro area TX
crossquad wrote:
Greetings:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harry-pott ... l-spirits/
"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception,"
bye

Is that one of the many schools keeping Holloween?

_________________
"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:17 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 8067
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Halloween has been distorted....It is "All Hallowed Eve".....the next day is All Saints Day.

When my three youngest were in elementary school and were allowed to come in costume I sent them as St. Michael the Archangel, the Blessed Mother, and St. Therese of the Child Jesus.

That made for a very pleasant conversation with my youngest daughter's 2nd grade teacher.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:20 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:56 am
Posts: 12
Religion: Catholic
The author is actually part of a secret society. Harry Potter makes you want to use magic. Plus abortion and euthanasia are on display in her books with the mandrakes that cry like children. You cut them up and turn them into a potion which cures paralysis. This is reminiscent of embryonic stem cell research.

The professor wanted to die because he was in pain in book six I believe.

Euthanasia?

The newest Fantastic Beasts film was cursed. I watched two seconds and it felt completely evil. Keep your kids away from Harry Potter!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:37 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 8067
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Thank you, "coconutblanket" for those insights re: Harry Potter.

So many people are not aware of the evil that is generated from that type of media.

Our youth needs to be exposed to the supernatural truths of our faith, and the grace that comes to us from Our Lord Jesus Christ.

They need to run to Our Blessed Mother and through the Rosary be walked through the Mysteries of our faith.

We all need to pray more for the mess this world is in!

Peace in Jesus and Mary,

Dorothy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:58 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:56 am
Posts: 12
Religion: Catholic
Dorothy B. wrote:
Thank you, "coconutblanket" for those insights re: Harry Potter.

So many people are not aware of the evil that is generated from that type of media.

Our youth needs to be exposed to the supernatural truths of our faith, and the grace that comes to us from Our Lord Jesus Christ.

They need to run to Our Blessed Mother and through the Rosary be walked through the Mysteries of our faith.

We all need to pray more for the mess this world is in!

Peace in Jesus and Mary,

Dorothy


Thank-you Dorothy.

Exchange Harry Potter for Narnia, or Lord of The Rings for your kids. The good stuff.

I used to like Harry Potter a little until I knew what the author was REALLY trying to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 8067
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
CoconutBlanket wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
Thank you, "coconutblanket" for those insights re: Harry Potter.

So many people are not aware of the evil that is generated from that type of media.

Our youth needs to be exposed to the supernatural truths of our faith, and the grace that comes to us from Our Lord Jesus Christ.

They need to run to Our Blessed Mother and through the Rosary be walked through the Mysteries of our faith.

We all need to pray more for the mess this world is in!

Peace in Jesus and Mary,

Dorothy


Thank-you Dorothy.

Exchange Harry Potter for Narnia, or Lord of The Rings for your kids. The good stuff.

I used to like Harry Potter a little until I knew what the author was REALLY trying to do.


My eight children are grown now....my "baby" is forty-seven years old and I have many grandchildren and one great-grandson.

The Lord's blessings to you....

Dorothy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:13 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm
Posts: 6175
Location: Bergen, Norway
Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
As a person who has read the Harry Potter books about seven times, I can tell you that the accusations above here are, to put it mildly, male bovine excrement. No, J.K. Rowling is not in a 'secret society.' Or, if she is, it is not secret. This is just plain old conspiracy theories without any foothold in reality.

_________________
Καὶ ὁ λόγος σὰρξ ἐγένετο

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

https://twitter.com/kkringlebotten

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:49 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 8067
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Closet Catholic wrote:
As a person who has read the Harry Potter books about seven times, I can tell you that the accusations above here are, to put it mildly, male bovine excrement. No, J.K. Rowling is not in a 'secret society.' Or, if she is, it is not secret. This is just plain old conspiracy theories without any foothold in reality.


Thank you for your input. I must not jump on the bandwagon of what others say without documentation of where they got their information.

I don't know a lot about the Harry Potter books and they weren't written during the time when my children were young. It was when my grandchildren were at the age of interest and some of them read the books.

With the little I know and from what I have heard from others who I have respect for, I do think the books could be a distraction from other, better children's literature, and also from the truths of the faith.

When I learned how to read children's books a cousin gave me the original "Pinochio" by Carlo Collodi.
That was my favorite and taught me a lot of good things. I read it more than once over the years and found a lot of good theology in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:21 am 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm
Posts: 6175
Location: Bergen, Norway
Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Dorothy B. wrote:
With the little I know and from what I have heard from others who I have respect for, I do think the books could be a distraction from other, better children's literature, and also from the truths of the faith.
How, exactly are these books distractions from the truths of the faith? Remember that J.K. Rowling's twitter account is not the same as the books.

_________________
Καὶ ὁ λόγος σὰρξ ἐγένετο

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

https://twitter.com/kkringlebotten

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am
Posts: 258
Religion: Catholic
It is important to know the whole actual story before making decisions, especially spiritual decisions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So why did I feel such dread when I read Harry Potter? Why do other people who've left the occult feel such distaste for the books? John Gibson, who converted out of neopaganism into Catholicism and whose conversion story appears in Surprised by Truth 2, wrote this to me: "First and foremost, most people who have been involved in the occult still have something like a fingerprint of it on their soul. It gives us a kind of sensitivity to the occult that others don't have."

"A fingerprint on the soul" — that was the difference I was seeing between readers who loved Harry Potter and those of us who didn't. That "fingerprint" was being touched again whenever we read Harry Potter, and our souls were growing troubled. We were recognizing things we'd known in the past and had rejected for the love of God.

To clarify what I mean here, let me offer just a few stories of people whose lives at some point intertwined with the occult and who today voice concerns about Harry Potter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Source: https://www.catholicculture.org/culture ... ecnum=4624


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 8067
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Closet Catholic wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
With the little I know and from what I have heard from others who I have respect for, I do think the books could be a distraction from other, better children's literature, and also from the truths of the faith.
How, exactly are these books distractions from the truths of the faith? Remember that J.K. Rowling's twitter account is not the same as the books.


I don't know about twitter or facebook or any of those medias.

It probably depends on the child's parents and how they all relate to one another, and also about the maturity of the child. I prefer to be cautious and ready to discuss a book with the child if necessary. It appears to me that the books did not affect you negatively.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:23 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am
Posts: 8067
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Amon98,



Source: https://www.catholicculture.org/culture ... ecnum=4624


Thank you for that article from Catholic Culture! I just read it and it makes very good points.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:44 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am
Posts: 258
Religion: Catholic
You're welcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:33 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:56 am
Posts: 12
Religion: Catholic
Closet Catholic wrote:
As a person who has read the Harry Potter books about seven times, I can tell you that the accusations above here are, to put it mildly, male bovine excrement. No, J.K. Rowling is not in a 'secret society.' Or, if she is, it is not secret. This is just plain old conspiracy theories without any foothold in reality.


Is J.K. Rowling is a good church going Christian who is pro-life, pro God and pro Trump?

Do the books and films condemn Christianity? Think of the first Fantastic Beasts which she wrote the screenplay for. Consider when the Christians were hunting down the witches. Were they seen as the good guys?

One has to only watch the second Fantastic Beasts and see where this is going. There is something wrong with that film, and anyone that says otherwise isn't looking close enough.

And if she isn't pro-life, pro God, and pro Trump, then wouldn't she put the opposite of these beliefs in her works? Abortion, euthanasia, homosexuality (even she admitted that Dumbledore was gay) are all in her books if you look close enough.

Plus, the founding fathers were freemasons, all the Bush's were involved into Skull and Bones freemasonry. Many actors are known satanists and freemasons...

So would it be so hard to believe that a person as wealthy, as renowned and as powerful as her would not in fact be involved in some sort of secret society?

P.S. Apologies for responding late. Haven't been on here for a while.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am
Posts: 258
Religion: Catholic
There is no evidence the Founding Fathers were Freemasons. Miss Rowling is not a US citizen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 82110
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I beg to differ with respect to the Founding Fathers. It is true that not all of them were masons, but some were, such as Washington:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wa ... reemasonry

Although I do not wish to get involved in a political discussion, it is certainly not necessary to be pro-Trump to be a good Christian.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:29 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am
Posts: 258
Religion: Catholic
I am not pro-Trump and I find it odd that anyone would make that association.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: School bans Harry Potter books....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:42 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:56 am
Posts: 12
Religion: Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I beg to differ with respect to the Founding Fathers. It is true that not all of them were masons, but some were, such as Washington:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wa ... reemasonry

Although I do not wish to get involved in a political discussion, it is certainly not necessary to be pro-Trump to be a good Christian.


As a Catholic it is your moral obligation to vote for pro-life candidates. You may have voted for him though I don't know. And I say that to all of the Catholics on here.

Do what is right. Humble yourself. Go to confession. And don't do it again if you voted for a Democrat.

Like it or not Trump is linked to Christians. If he goes so do our rights.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: