Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Pope Benedict XVI “ on pilgrimage home”
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
:cry: :pray: :pray:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:55 pm 

Church Affiliations: KoC
Part of me is heartbroken that we'll soon be deprived of such a holy man.

But at the same time there's so much joy that he's at so much peace and joy at drawing nearer to total union with God.

:pray: :cry: :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm 
There Can Be Only One

He walks the talk.

:pray:

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm 

:crying: for me, but :cloud9: for him!

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 am 
Eminent
Eminent

That was nice to see photos of Russian bishops with Pope Emeritus Benedict.

We continue to pray for Pope Emeritus Benedict as well as for the present Pope Francis.

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Honestly, I think the media are making too much of this. It is being interpreted as him saying 'well, I only have a couple days left before I die', but that isn't what he said. He was asked how he was doing, health-wise, and he responded that he was aware that he didn't have much time left. But he's nearly 91 years old, and I would expect any 91-year-old to say the same thing. When you're that old, and you can't do much, you know you don't have much time left. That doesn't mean he is on his deathbed, all he said was that he is aware that his time is coming soon and he is ready for it when it happens. Who knows how much longer he could live, he doesn't speculate on that question, he only says that he is aware that the time is short.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 am 
King of Cool

Honestly, I think the media are making too much of this. It is being interpreted as him saying 'well, I only have a couple days left before I die', but that isn't what he said. He was asked how he was doing, health-wise, and he responded that he was aware that he didn't have much time left. But he's nearly 91 years old, and I would expect any 91-year-old to say the same thing. When you're that old, and you can't do much, you know you don't have much time left. That doesn't mean he is on his deathbed, all he said was that he is aware that his time is coming soon and he is ready for it when it happens. Who knows how much longer he could live, he doesn't speculate on that question, he only says that he is aware that the time is short.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
you can say that again :fyi: 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:01 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
That again. :mrgreen:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
thank ya...thank ya very much 8-) :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:56 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I was just re-reading “Last Testament In his own Words” Pope Benedict XVI with Peter Seewald this morning (at the doctors). If you are unfamiliar with the book; it's in interview format by Peter Seewald. Here is a question posed {to Joseph Ratzinger} it seems somewhat relevant:

Quote:
Does a Papa emeritus fear death? Or fear dying at least?

In a certain respect, yes. For one thing there is the fear that one is imposing on people through a long period of disability. I would find that distressing. My father always had a fear of death too; it has endured with me, but lessened. Another thing is that, despite all the confidence I have that the loving God cannot forsake me, the closer you come to his face, the more intensely you feel how much you have done wrong. In this respect the burden on guilt always weights on someone, but the basic trust is of course always there.

(P. 10 & 11)

In this context, I wonder if Pope Emeritus may simply be indicating a growing peace (grace) that he may be closer to seeing the face of God - and a growing confidence he will not be imposing on people.

---
Good can exist without evil; whereas evil cannot exist without good.
The Summa Theologica - St. Thomas Aquinas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:47 pm 
Defender
Defender

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
That again. :mrgreen:

I'm trying.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm 
King of Cool

MichaelD14 wrote:
In this context, I wonder if Pope Emeritus may simply be indicating a growing peace (grace) that he may be closer to seeing the face of God - and a growing confidence he will not be imposing on people.

I for one never believe people when they say that they do have any fear of death. Fear of death is natural, and not merely natural but I would say even healthy. Often, our fear of death is the only thing that keeps us alive. What is it that prevents someone who is, for example, in the arctic circle suffering from severe frostbite and who feels like he has no energy, to keep going, walking to the shelter that is still 2 miles away? What prevents him from giving up and just deciding to lie down and die? Fear of death.

At any rate, I think you're right. He isn't saying 'well, I'm on my deathbed, it will happen any time now.' He's saying 'I know I don't have much time left and I think I am ready for the inevitable.' He could live another 10 years and it would still be true that he doesn't have much time left. For a 90 year old man, 10 years is nothing. The media are probably correct that this is the last public statement we are likely to hear from him, but I think it may be a little premature to start writing his obituary.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:16 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
I for one never believe people when they say that they do not have any fear of death. Fear of death is natural, and not merely natural but I would say even healthy. Often, our fear of death is the only thing that keeps us alive. What is it that prevents someone who is, for example, in the arctic circle suffering from severe frostbite and who feels like he has no energy, to keep going, walking to the shelter that is still 2 miles away? What prevents him from giving up and just deciding to lie down and die? Fear of death.

I concur.

I tend to believe even the most ardent nihilist fears the legacy they leave behind will wither and die. Leaving them nothing BUT fear.

Doom wrote:
At any rate, I think you're right. He isn't saying 'well, I'm on my deathbed, it will happen any time now.' He's saying 'I know I don't have much time left and I think I am ready for the inevitable.' He could live another 10 years and it would still be true that he doesn't have much time left. For a 90 year old man, 10 years is nothing. The media are probably correct that this is the last public statement we are likely to hear from him, but I think it may be a little premature to start writing his obituary.

We agree the bulk of the media have not been trustworthy stewards of factual information.

I tend to think Pope Emeritus may be demonstrating a graduality of his acceptance of his pilgrimage. A grace we can all hope for.

For example, I have noted to my confessor, and in conversations with my wife and children my fear and weakness to the concept of martyrdom. I would be a very unlikely candidate. I tend to fight until I fall. This is deeply inbred in my psyche. A Priest once noted I should pray for the grace of a martyr. I have read much on the witness of martyrdom but I have yet to find peace with such a reality. I hope before I die, I will.

---
Good can exist without evil; whereas evil cannot exist without good.
The Summa Theologica - St. Thomas Aquinas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:58 pm 

We are afraid of death until it is facing us. My mother was involved in a car accident that she thought was going to be her death. She felt a peace come over her, and she was not afraid. At the last second, she avoided the worst of it, and ended up walking away from it. She was amazed at how peaceful she felt when faced with her imminent demise.

The other person who experienced something similar was Fr. Scanlan. While riding in a small plane, they ran into conditions in which he thought they were going to crash. He felt perfectly at peace.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:32 pm 
King of Cool

anawim wrote:
We are afraid of death until it is facing us. My mother was involved in a car accident that she thought was going to be her death. She felt a peace come over her, and she was not afraid. At the last second, she avoided the worst of it, and ended up walking away from it. She was amazed at how peaceful she felt when faced with her imminent demise.

Not everyone experiences a sense of peace. Many experience a sense of horror. Not all near-death experiences are positive. Some people experience something like going to hell. One heart surgeon, who is an agnostic and therefore not at al inclined to credit every story of a miracle, reported that one patient who had been medically 'dead' by several seconds, when he was fully recussitated, screamed at him 'doctor you have to keep me alive, I just died and went to hell, it was terrible, don't let me die!' A few hours later, the doctor asked the patient what he meant by saying that he had gone to hell, and the patient said that he had no memory of ever saying that, but he did say it, the doctor and several nurses and others in the room witnessed it. There are litterally hundreds of stories of people with really negtive and terrifying stories of near death experiences.