Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fauxtations
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:23 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Yes, "fauxtations" is a hideous neologism. I use it to refer to all those pictures on FB with inspiring quotations from people who didn't actually say what the quotations says they said. I keep track of them on my fauxtations blog and show where I've looked to back up my claims. And I've added a weekly feature giving the ones I tracked down that turned out to be legit.

https://fauxtations.wordpress.com/

Need something to read?

Post subject: Re: Fauxtations
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:02 pm 
Defender
Defender

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
You need to do one on Mother Teresa and "Anyway" -- a.k.a. the "Paradoxical Commandments " which are often misattributed to her, but were actually written by Kent M. Keith. It seems I have to knock that one down at least a couple times a month.

Granted, the Paradoxical Commandments website has already done most of the work for you .... but it would still be a good one to have in your list, IMO, since it is so popular.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:18 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have more or less been waiting for them to show up in my news feed.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:31 am 
Citizen
Citizen

This is a great blog--highly recommended to all; it will motivate and challenge readers to seek Truth. If you could provide a subscription to email notice of new entries, please sign me up. And please consider allowing readers to submit requests for investigation and challenge. I do understand this would expose you to spam and viruses. Do you think some of these are traced and prosecuted?
Often I imagine myself doing a blog called Hall of Shame for Error, Falsehood, and Deceit; to protest political and perhaps radical SJW absurdities. Left and Right. I'll pray for industry, creativity, and stamina like yours. Congratulations and best wishes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

On the right side there's a "Follow" button where you can subscribe via email. I am reluctant to take requests because I would get too many.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:38 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I'm following, and encourage others.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:51 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I should thank you very much for motivating me to a great hour or so rereading Screwtape, not so much trying to find the false quote that I think you properly debunked in Fauxtations, but to see how close to it Lewis might have come. It is such a brilliant, classic book.
I think Lewis' strong opposition to generalities, because they are so often are used in deceit and exaggeration, would keep him from derogatory reference to a whole class of people. But he did write (as Screwtape, p123) "...the best point of attack would be the borderline between theology and politics" and (p 126) "We do not want men to allow their Christianity to overflow into their political life..."
To my astonishment, I found on the left side of the inside front cover I had written (who knows when) 'political aspersions' and across from it on the right I had written 'support.'
I may still be rereading this days from now.