Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: the danger of presuming on God's mercy... Sirach 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:43 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
Sirach was removed from the Bible by the arch-heretic Luther. It is not hard to see why he didn't like this Book since he was all about God's mercy and didn't seem to want to have any of God's justice or wrath. A lot of people are like that today. All you ever hear some priests talk about or write about is God's mercy, and you never hear about his Justice or wrath, as though those things are leftovers from the Dark Ages and we should therefore take them with the proverbial grain of salt, if not toss them aside altogether.

Well, here is a good passage about that:

Book of Sirach 5: 1 - 8

1 Do not set your heart on your wealth, nor say, "I have enough."
2 Do not follow your inclination and strength, walking according to the desires of your heart.
3 Do not say, "Who will have power over me?" for the Lord will surely punish you.
4 Do not say, "I sinned, and what happened to me?" for the Lord is slow to anger.
5 Do not be so confident of atonement that you add sin to sin.
6 Do not say, "His mercy is great, he will forgive the multitude of my sins," for both mercy and wrath are with him, and his anger rests on sinners.

7 Do not delay to turn to the Lord, nor postpone it from day to day; for suddenly the wrath of the Lord will go forth, and at the time of punishment you will perish.
8 Do not depend on dishonest wealth, for it will not benefit you in the day of calamity

Post subject: Re: the danger of presuming on God's mercy... Sirach 5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:34 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I think virtually all Americans presume on God's mercy and forget that he is absolutely JUST as well

Americans are spoiled

They seem to conflate freedom with license and etc...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:19 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Luther did not remove Sirach or any other book from the Bible, he moved it to an appendix between the Old and New Testaments, but neither Lither nor any other Protestant ever removed it from the Bible. The Deuterocanon were not removed from ANY Bibles until the 19th century, 300 years after Luther, and even then, this was done only in the English speaking world. The Deuterocanon was part of Luther's Bible and is still included in modernized editions of Luther's Bible today.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:14 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Luther did not remove Sirach or any other book from the Bible, he moved it to an appendix between the Old and New Testaments, but neither Lither nor any other Protestant ever removed it from the Bible. The Deuterocanon were not removed from ANY Bibles until the 19th century, 300 years after Luther, and even then, this was done only in the English speaking world. The Deuterocanon was part of Luther's Bible and is still included in modernized editions of Luther's Bible today.

In the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, oft used by the more traditional Anglicans in this country, that passage (and the 2 following verses) is the reading appointed for the OT Lesson for the 15th Sunday after Trinity. Memory says I was the Lector, that day last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
AND...

“... when Luther first proclaimed his doctrine of sola scriptura… (and) sola fides… the Radicals* hailed him and for a while followed him. But when Luther proceeded to criticize certain writings within the canon as not sufficiently solafidest… many of the Radical Reformers balked and in the end most of them in the 16th century fell back upon the pre-Reformation canon in toto…”

Source. Page 817 of Chapter 32, The Bible in the Radical Reformation, in The Radical Reformation by George H. Williams (edition unknown)

*Anabaptists, Waldensians and Mennonites are noted as such in this chapter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:35 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:

well, i guess some historians are liars

gee, how shocking

God knows which ones, the ones I have read or the ones you have, are telling the truth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

flyingaway wrote:
Doom wrote:

gee, how shocking

God knows which ones, the ones I have read or the ones you have, are telling the truth

Doom is correct.

On Bibles in general, Doom is usually correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
flyingaway wrote:
Doom wrote:

gee, how shocking

Or perhaps the problem is your lack of reading comprehension