Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 8   [ 152 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Trinity
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Denise Dee wrote:
p.falk wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Doom wrote:
I honestly think that what we are seeing in this thread right here is one of the main reasons why we get so few newbies, and the ones we do get don't stick around for long.

Look at this, we had a serious discussion going on, and now it has degenerated into mindless post padding. Don't you see that the way this almost always happens with even the most serious threads tends to discourage people who are serious about wanting a real discussion from posting on this forum or taking this forum seriously?

I agree with Doom. These forums seem to be dominated by a clique who seem more concerned with their own private humour rather than address the topics. Humour is good as long as it stays on topic but often silly stuff completely hijacks the topic. Also a few people tend to personally attack when a sincere question is asked. I'm always a bit scared to ask questions here. The other thing is that I don't get questions answered such as the one I asked about finding a spiritual adviser in the Sex and the City thread in Cath 101.

You mean the thread where you explicitly told people to NOT post if they weren't familiar with Sex in the City? That's you're fault

I asked people not to post about Sex and the City if they hadn't seen it. My question about a spiritual director was not about Sex and the City. Thank you for taking the trouble to misunderstand.

People such as I would read the op, read you ask those who haven't watched it not to reply, and leave the thread, not reading it again.

Sarcasm usually escalates things into tirades that make more heat than light.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:02 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
p.falk wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Doom wrote:
I honestly think that what we are seeing in this thread right here is one of the main reasons why we get so few newbies, and the ones we do get don't stick around for long.

Look at this, we had a serious discussion going on, and now it has degenerated into mindless post padding. Don't you see that the way this almost always happens with even the most serious threads tends to discourage people who are serious about wanting a real discussion from posting on this forum or taking this forum seriously?

I agree with Doom. These forums seem to be dominated by a clique who seem more concerned with their own private humour rather than address the topics. Humour is good as long as it stays on topic but often silly stuff completely hijacks the topic. Also a few people tend to personally attack when a sincere question is asked. I'm always a bit scared to ask questions here. The other thing is that I don't get questions answered such as the one I asked about finding a spiritual adviser in the Sex and the City thread in Cath 101.

You mean the thread where you explicitly told people to NOT post if they weren't familiar with Sex in the City? That's you're fault

I asked people not to post about Sex and the City if they hadn't seen it. My question about a spiritual director was not about Sex and the City. Thank you for taking the trouble to misunderstand.

People such as I would read the op, read you ask those who haven't watched it not to reply, and leave the thread, not reading it again.

Sarcasm usually escalates things into tirades that make more heat than light.

I took a screenshot after I posted that 5th post asking about a spiritual director on 21st November and the screenshot shows that there had been 97 views immediately after I posted the question. There are now 231 views. Therefore many people saw the question.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:05 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Do you know what a bot is?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Zeno wrote:
Do you know what a bot is?

I only have a vague idea. Why would a bot have such an interest in a thread about Sex and the City?

I'm not blaming anyone for not answering the question about a spiritual director in that thread. I just thought that somebody would.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:38 pm 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

They come through here hundreds of times a day indexing all the threads so their associated search engines can find them. https://metamend.com/archive/education/ ... gine-bots/

View counts =/= the number of actual members of this board who have viewd your thread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I can tell you why I didn't post anything in the 'Sex and The City' thread and it is because I had no idea what to say, and then I thought that Kelly's initial response was pretty good. I suppose I could have posted 'I don't know what to tell you' or 'I think Kelly's initial response is pretty good', but that doesn't seem very helpful.

When you don't get a reply even though it seems many people are reading your thread, something like what I said above is generally the reason why.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:51 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
I can tell you why I didn't post anything in the 'Sex and The City' thread and it is because I had no idea what to say, and then I thought that Kelly's initial response was pretty good. I suppose I could have posted 'I don't know what to tell you' or 'I think Kelly's initial response is pretty good', but that doesn't seem very helpful.

When you don't get a reply even though it seems many people are reading your thread, something like what I said above is generally the reason why.

You've misunderstood. I didn't say anything about not getting enough replies to my question about Sex and the City, which I now think wasn't a very good question in the first place. If I had thought a bit more about it, I wouldn't have posted that question in that way. But in that thread, after Forever Faithful suggested I find and obey a spiritual director, I asked a question about how would I find an appropriate spiritual director and that was the question to which I expected a reply but never got one (until I asked it in a new thread a couple of weeks later).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 am 
King of Cool

You asked a question that no one knew the answer to that's why you didn't get a response. You shouldn't take it personally when people don't reply. I've been here more than 20 years and I still make threads that get no reply.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I opened the thread the first time and, since I've never watched Sex and the City, I didn't open it again after that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I opened the thread the first time and, since I've never watched Sex and the City, I didn't open it again after that.

#MeToo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 pm 
King of Cool

I try to answer questions asked by newbies here because I don't want them to get discouraged and stop posting from a lack of response, but when I really don't have an answer I'm not sure what the best way is to respond. Should I say 'I don't know the answer to your question' just so you know I read it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
I try to answer questions asked by newbies here because I don't want them to get discouraged and stop posting from a lack of response, but when I really don't have an answer I'm not sure what the best way is to respond. Should I say 'I don't know the answer to your question' just so you know I read it?

Okay, I accept that it was at least partly my own fault that I didn't get a reply to an important question, and certainly not the fault of any of you three. And thank you Obi for your reply in the new thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 8   [ 152 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8